1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a good deal and is this true

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by tony kop77, Mar 3, 2003.

1. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I just went into town to enquire about motherboard and CPU. I said i saw an AMD 2400 thoroughbred for £110, i was told that this would not work on my machine because the cpu is not compatible with ddr ram is this true.
    I wanted some prices on a motherboard,cpu and graphics card. I was told that he can get hold of a radeon 9700pro but he has a 9700pro and 9000 graphics card but can not see the difference and doom 3 works fine with the 9000 he said as he knows someone and managed to get the game (i thought the game was unfinished)

I dont play that many shoot em ups although i have a few shoot em ups i am too addicted to cm but would like a grpahics card to play unreal 2 without slow down. I currently have a Kyro II and Unreal II stutters on it. I want to play splinter cell, battlefield 1942, vietgong along with my other current games mafia, medal of honor and return to castle wolfeinstein.
    He gave me this price list
    Epox 9RDA+ Nforce 2 Motherboard £92.50
    2400 he was guessing the price will be £150 he is going to ring and check up on that
    radeon 9000 i think he said was about £100 though i have just seen 128mb Radeon 9500 for £133.
    what do you think to these prices and is it true the thoroughbred wont work with ddr.

He told me he will do me a good deal and will price macth internet prices says he wont be beaten so nforce2 motherboard,2400xp and radeon 9000 graphics card for £350 and £20 instalation is this good.

I have been advised me to wait for the graphics card because the next generation is coming out but i need a new graphics card now and they keep changeing every 6 months so thought get a card now and maybe a new one at xmas should i need one.

thank you for your help

2. Iam

Iam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know about the graphics cards ... I'd have thought any one of the cards you list would be fine.

As far as AMD Thoroughbred not accepting DDR RAM goes that sounds like tosh ... maybe your motherboard (or the one he's trying to sell you) won't accept DDR memory, but I can't imagine the processor itself is incompatible with it.

£110 for a Thoroughbred 2400 is about right, no more than £10 cheaper than at overclock.co.uk (where I get my bits from), though check it's inclusive of VAT etc.

3. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    complete rubbish. both that motherboard and the cpu will run with ddr. they are DESIGNED to.

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Errrr sounds like you were talking to a complete n00b or someone trying to rip you off. No difference between the 9000 and 9700 pro?? Ummmmmm, LOL that is the biggest crock of dogs eggs I have heard in a long time, he just wanted you to buy on the spot.

I would suggest you order off the net www.komplett.co.uk is a pretty cheap place, heres what you would get

Asus A7N8X - 97
    Athlon XP 2200 - 81 (I would go for a 2200 rather than 2400, the 30 odd quid you save is better off going towards graphics)
    Sapphire Radeon 9500 - 133 (apply the software fix to get it to pro speeds)

311 in total, plus about 7-8 quid for delivery. You then have enough money over to get a decent game to stretch your system... or upgrade you RAM.

5. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    If i go back and tell him that the AMD thoroughbred will work with my DDR ram he will installit for me. Do you think i should bother going to him or should i wait a few weeks untill my brother comes and order my parts from www.cclcomputers.com and get my brother to install it for me.

6. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    the xp2100+ is cheaper, and almost all of the newest cores will overclock welll beyond 2ghz. most topping out at around 2.4ghz on air. you do the math - an xp2800+ 'only' runs at 2.25ghz
    problem. the chance of getting the right pcb (the red one with ram chips at the side and top of the pcb) are now very slim. AND, the chance of sucessfully modding that card are slimmer still (around 30% of the red sapphires can be modded)

its up to you if you want to take that chance. i did, and luckily it paid off. But, i'm one of the few.

7. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Good points James.

Personally I would go for 9500 Pro just to be safe.

As I pointed out in your previous thread, also remember to consider your PSU with the components you are looking at you may need to upgrade.

8. RimBlock

RimBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    The mortherboard si the 'hub' of your computer and allows the components to talk to eachother.

The CPU talks through the motherboard to tell it to send data from the memory and the motherboard then forfills the request. The only problem you may have is if your current motherboard does not support DDR memory. Unfortunatly you have not mentioned which motherboard you currently use.

I am using an XP2200 and it runs very hot (compaired to other AMD CPU's) as the core size is the same as the older processors and was only increased in the next speed up thus aiding cooling.

I would suggest paying the extra £30 for the larger core'd CPU (XP2400) and you should then be able to overclock the chip without the need for noisy coolers etc.

On the subject of graphics cards, I use an ATI 8500 AIW (64Mb) and only get stutters on Unreal 2 when I start ramping up the AA and anisotropic filtering (I play at 1024x768) but I have read many reports of the game stuttering on 9700Pro's with these two settings maxed out. I would suggest either going for a 9700Pro or waiting for the next generation to come out. The effects etc look fantastic with everything maxed and AA / AF do make a big difference but Unreal 2 is not very playable (from what I hear) with these setting maxed on the current graphics cards and users need to settle with turning some of the settings down a notch. The next generation should be able to handle the graphics. I have very little doubt that Doom3 will also cause users the same sort of problems as both games are generally built on the philosaphy of best grapics = better than current best technology, nice = good technology, ok = midrange technology. Sort of pushes the envelope a bit.

As for Doom 3 and it running fine on a 9000 (or so), as it is not currently released the only version currently in wide circulation is a beta (pre-beta ??) with tones of debug code and many of the graphics options missing. It is not something I would make an expensive decision on by any means.

Let us know which motherboard you have and we may be able to advise a bit more.

Cheers
    RB

9. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I currently have an Epox 8ka 7A+ but i will be buying an Nforce2 motherboard when i buy the 2400xp cpu. I wont be overclocking the cpu. I dont know if i should buy a radeon 9500 pro or radeon 900. I will be buying the new radeon graphics card or fx card xmas or early next year i just want to play current games on max resoloutions till then.
    Thank you for youe help

10. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    forgive me if im wrong (which im not BTW) but the thoroughbred's (which is what that xp2400 is) have smaller cores than the older palamino's, not larger. The original thoroughbred 'a's actually run hotter than the pally's. The reason the 'b' cores run cooler is because they were re-designed and an extra layer of copper-interconects were added to the core, allowing the cores to more efficiantly disipate heat.

11. RimBlock

RimBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Nope, it seems you are correct (could have sworn that there were reported as being bigger when I got mine due to heat issues but must be the memory playing tricks on me).

Toms Hardware Guide has a comparison of core sizes here for those of you who may be interested.

Cheers
    RB