Is this a good choice?

Cazamodo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ok, ive finally selected the speakers that i beleive i want.
I will be using a Sony STR-DH800 AV reciever, from june, so i hope these speakers will be ok.

I will use Tannoy F4's, bi wired for the fronts.
Tannoy MERCURY FC CUSTOM for the center
The Jamo C 60 SUR for the rears

Would you say this is an ok setup, if not what would you change?

Also, i have very few audio shops in my area, so where would you suggest i look for tehse speakers, to get the best proce for them?

Thanks!

rob

Edit: I also havent yet found a SUB to go with these, but im confussed about them. I know you can have passive and active SUBs, with my AV reciever i beleive it outputs iin RCA to teh sub, but would i be better off with an active sub, or passive?

Last edited:
Ok, ive finally selected the speakers that i beleive i want.
I will be using a Sony STR-DH800 AV reciever, from june, so i hope these speakers will be ok.

I will use Tannoy F4's, bi wired for the fronts.
Tannoy MERCURY FC CUSTOM for the center
The Jamo C 60 SUR for the rears

Would you say this is an ok setup, if not what would you change?

Also, i have very few audio shops in my area, so where would you suggest i look for tehse speakers, to get the best proce for them?

Thanks!

rob

Edit: I also havent yet found a SUB to go with these, but im confussed about them. I know you can have passive and active SUBs, with my AV reciever i beleive it outputs iin RCA to teh sub, but would i be better off with an active sub, or passive?

Rather than b--wiring why not Bi-amp the fronts and make use of the spare rear channel on the Sony.

Not heard one of those Jamo surrounds in use but can't see how it could be as effective as two seperate surrounds :confused:

sounds like a very good set up at that price point, imo. :thumbsup:

with regards to subs. go active....meaning it has its own amplification. can't go far wrong with a bk or ms309 to match what you're getting in terms of speakers. Also the Epos subs are very musical, if you can pick up a good deal.

Ahh bi-amping is what i meant, as in, use the two channels from 7.1 that are free, as ill only be using 5.1.

and the jamo speakers i woudl get in a pair, although im considering going with a full tannoy F series package.

I think ill defo go with the tannoy f4 fronts, and teh center, as i have a budget of around 300 for fronts, £100 for the center.

However i cant find teh Jamo speakers for sale anywhere, so any suggestions on a good pair of rears for around £150 or less?

Also, can i get a good sub for around£200 or less?

Ahh bi-amping is what i meant, as in, use the two channels from 7.1 that are free, as ill only be using 5.1.

and the jamo speakers i woudl get in a pair, although im considering going with a full tannoy F series package.

I think ill defo go with the tannoy f4 fronts, and teh center, as i have a budget of around 300 for fronts, £100 for the center.

However i cant find teh Jamo speakers for sale anywhere, so any suggestions on a good pair of rears for around £150 or less?

Also, can i get a good sub for around£200 or less?

Why not go for the Tannoy F1's at the back? £85 or less.

cool, i think i know what speakers im getting,.
now lookign for a budget sub.

also the DH-800 at 110w per channel, wont be too much for these speakers will it?

cool, i think i know what speakers im getting,.
now lookign for a budget sub.

also the DH-800 at 110w per channel, wont be too much for these speakers will it?

After reading lots of negative reviews i was pleasantly surprised by an Eltax sub i demo'ed in RS a few weeks back.

Thanks to some particularly helpful staff in the Leicester RS store i tried half a dozen and ended up with this one ELTAX SYMPHSUBBCH at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

There are better subs around but it all depends on how much you want to pay.

Saying that you may find if you buy used your budget will buy you something better .

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom