1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is this a game problem or something else

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by haven4ever, Jul 21, 2004.

1. haven4ever

haven4ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right ill try to give you as much info about my problem as i can and hope some one can help

i installed a sata h/d about 2 months ago, for a month everthing was fine until one day i switched on my pc and it had a problem it booted up got to the windows xp screen with the loading green bar running across the bottom and that was it it just keep going as though it couldn,t find my h/d or o/s.
    so i booted it up in safe mode and did a system restore. this worked fine but the next time i switched it on same problem, went in in safe mode and it wouldn,t allow system restore.Anyway after 2 days trying to suss it out i gave up and reformatted
    know i didn,t go for the quick format but even still it only took about 20secs to format the drive i thought this was strange so i didit again and the same about 20secs to format it.
    So i installed everything again(now it was at this time i noiticed that even though i have an 9800xt with cat 4.3 drivers the smart gart had agp setting to off) and it didn,t matter what i did it wouldnt allow it to be change , the card worked fine with the likes of far cry etc but i thought the agp would be set to 8 x.

so everthing was back on and working well until last thursday when the same problem occurred at start up , got around it in safe mode with a restore but then it was just a repeat of the first time so i formatted again(again only 20 secs to format the drive) loaded everything up and it was fine , next day it started up fine and worked so i installed a game(IL2 sturmovik) following day back to the same problem as though it got stuck on the windows screen and could find my h/d o/s.

got round it with restore and it has been fine since but im just waiting for it to happen again.

so after all that could anyone provide answers to any of the following

1) why is my 9800xt setting set to agp off and can,t be altered( agp 8x is set in my bios)
    2) any ideas what could be causing this start up problems.
    3) it seems to occur after installing games(h&d2/sturmovik) are these likley to be the cause
    4) 160gig matrox sata hd/ which shows up as a 152gig h/d?

my system spec is as follows
    athalon xp2700+ running @2.17
    1gig pc3200 ram
    hercules 3d prophet 9800xt with cat4.7 drivers from omega(problem happens with ati drivers too)
    windows xp home edition sp1 all updates download
    bios driver all up to date

my mobo is a gagbyte ga7vt600 1394

thats it folks thanks for taking time to read this and i hope you can help

2. haven4ever

haven4ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone help please point me in the right direction

ive been told that some ati cards have agp issues