Is this a fault on my Sony KV32FX65?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Darren_L, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sometimes the picture switches to widescreen and then straight back to standard (picutre is set to auto mode). This mainly happens on some 4:3 DVDs (eg X-files season 1) and some NTL cable channels.

Is this a fault, or just something to do with the switching signal.

2. Noman

Noman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a well known "problem" that there is nothing to do about other than go into the menu and set "Auto format" off for the input where you have connected the DVD (AV1 or AV2 etc)(I think there is a "conflict" in the several different ways the set decides what format to use)

Then manually set the format for the DVD you´re watching.

3. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the quick reply. This is the only problem I've found so far with this TV :(

Have you got any links where I can get some further info about this?

4. Noman

Noman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, I set auto-format off and format correction off. Still does it! I turned them back on and it seemed to stop for a while and then re-started!

Now when watching cable it jumps into zoom mode.

I think it's developed a faul so I'm going to get Sony to look at it.

6. Noman

Noman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are your cable connected via Scart. Have you set Auto 16:9 to Off in the menu for that specific scart input (AV1, AV2 or AV3) (You know you can set them individually.) If you have done that and it still changes mode you should call Sony...

7. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Noman, Thank You for your help. The DVD player (Pioneer DV545) is connected to AV1, and the NTL digital cable box is connected to the DVD player - to allow me to watch cable via RGB.

I hadn't realised that each AV input has its own Auto Format option. I'd turned off the Auto Format option on the Features Menu, but that is only for Ariel Input.

Turning off the Auto Format for the specific AV input does appear to solve the problem (haven't had much time to test it yet).
    For future reference if anyone else is reading this thread, the AV Auto Format options are on the Setup Menu under the "AV Preset" tab.

I'm not very happy with Sony for this "problem". Reading the FAQs here says that the auto format is a well know problem. Surely this is a realtively simple bit of electonics that I would have expected a large company like Sony to be able to sort out! :mad:

The only other think would be that the NTL cable box is not sending the correct auto format signal (although the problem does occur when watching DVDs too, so it seems as thought the Sony "problem" is the fault)

8. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    An Update for anyone following this thread!

I have had an engineer visit to see if there was a problem. He was very helpful and although the set behaved perfectly on his visit, he told me that he would ring SONY to see if this was a known problem.

He rang me back today and informed me that Sony technical know that there is a problem with this TV (and the previous FX60 models). The problem is with the autoformat technology (as Noman has also kindly told us).

The set confuses very dark areas at the top and bottom of certain pictures (eg in some Sci-Fi films and other darker pictures) as the widescreen "black-bands" and tries to change modes to compensate. The engineer also informed me that SONY have told him that there is nothing that can be done about this problem, other than to disable the autoformat feature. Not a very satisfactory solution when you've paid a lot of money for your TV!

Why Sony still released a new model of set with this problem is a mystery to me. I had always thought that the widescreen switching signal was controlled by a voltage change on scart pin 8, but it appears that Sony uses this other method to change the picture mode.

I don't know whether this problem is related to just Sony, but the engineer who visited said that he has seen similar problems with other makes of TV. Problems can be caused by poor quality scart leads and sometimes by the broadcaster not sending the correct signal (more of a problem with aerial broadcasts).

I have emailed Sony to see what they say.