1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a convergence problem on my HS20?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jules, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    I've had my Sony HS20 about 5 months now and only clocked up about 40 hours (about 1 film a week at most).
    Until last night I've been reaslly pleased with the picture.

However, I put on Schindlers List last night... which is of course in black & white..... and there was an obvious green shading across the top right hand side of the screen. It was like a green film was dangling in front of it.

I then studied the pixel grid and noticed that there appeared to be a colomn of 3 green pixels on the edge of the picture. The affected area is much more than 3 pixels wide however, It probably covers about 10% of the screen.
    Is this the convergence problem I've heared others talk about?

It only shows up on light coloured scenes or those with little colour, and is completely invisible when showing a blue screen.
    But as faces and scenes of the sky pass through the area, it becomes really noticeable.

The problem is, now I've seen it I'll always notice it and its starting to bug me already.
    This is probably madness, but I'm now thinking I should get an HS50.

Are all HS20's the same?

2. Vielgrader

Vielgrader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My HS20 has a similar problem. I get a green line down the left side of the image and a blue line on the right. Close up it looks only 1 pixel wide, but because of the colour you can see it from further away as well.

I am watching DVDs with a Samsung HD931, set to upscale to 720p. Connection is via DVI and the DVI input of the HS20 is set to COMPUTER, which accepts the native 1280x720 signal and sends it 1:1 to the panel. The image is nothing short of spectecular, even though there is a small border around the actual picture.

I am also watching HD1 via the QualiTV sat receiver, HDMI input. Somehow, these images are NOT as sharp as the DVD. Maybe because there is some scaling going on in the HS20 (1080i is converted to the native res of the HS20) or maybe because my DVI cables can't handle the bandwidth. I recently swapped some cables and it is now worse than before???

All in all the convergence problem does not seem to affect the image quality too much, however, it leaves one thinking what it would be like with perfect alignment.

Regards.

3. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    If it's top right hand side of screen that sounds more like colour uniformity to me ? It can be a LCD trait.

Pixel alignment would show up as a column of pixels along the side from top to bottom.

HS10/20's very rarely are pixel perfect aligned. Can range from 1-3 pixels out. 1 being best and 3 the worst.

Mine if I focus razor sharp I can just about see on a crosshair 1 pixel width. I consider that very lucky that I got a good one :)

Alignment is not 'that' much of an issue as some people do like to soften the focus and you would lose it in that anyway.