Is this a connection problem?

flamenco

Standard Member
I have upgraded my Denon 2310 to a Denon AVC -X4700H but am baffled by how the units talk to each other. A Virgin TiVo, Sony Bravia 4K TV and sometimes my Optoma HD32 PJ.
All units are linked with HDMI leads and I’m getting good results, apart from the projector. Last week (watching Strictly) the screen would go blank briefly and sound lost. A few seconds later it would come back but what could the problem be? Suspecting the HDMI lead, I bought a new one and found the same thing happened tonight, so back to just the TV.
I did experience the same thing happening with the TV a few days ago (watching Sky sports) so rebooted the Virgin box and it cured it. Do I need to follow some protocol with the order of switching units on, restarting them or swapping from (say) Spotify to avoid the signal(s) being lost like this?

Any advice would be so very welcome!

dante01

Distinguished Member
The signal dropout could be due to the HDMI cable being used? In cases where a PJ is present then the cable from the AV receiver to said projector is usually longer than what would ordinarilly be recommended, this can result in the signal being dropped.This is more likely the higher the definition of the video and when the bandwifth of the signal is increased.

It would be suggested that you use HDMI over Cat6 (using HDBaseT) for HD or better still use HDMI over hybrid fiber which would be suggested for UHD. Anyway, conventional HDMI over copper cabling isn't the best option for cable runs longer than 5m.

Maybe also look at the cable between the Virgin STB and the AV receiver and try a different one?

flamenco

Standard Member
Thank you. The HDMI cable is just 4m from AV to PJ. The cable between the Virgin STB and AV amp is shorter and I will swap it around to see if it makes a difference.

Should I expect the system to happily swap between sources or is there some alchemy I need to know about what order to turn things on? Should the amp be turned off before connecting the PJ and start everything up from cold or does that not matter?

dante01

Distinguished Member
You can experience a brief loss of noth audio and video when switrching sources or even if changing channels via the TiVo box you have. THis is simply because the devices in the HDMI chain have to reapraise what it is they are receiver and decide whether or not they should adjust their processing accordingly. Thus should happen relatively quackly though anfdf no more than 1 second. I have heard some relate longer dropouts associated with HDMI handahaking, this this wouldn;t be the norm in all instances.

The order in which you power up your compoments would really make any difference. Javing HDMI control and ARC enabled on the AV receiver would cause the TV to switch the AV receiver to its ARC associated source at power uo though. THis is caused by HDMI CEC.

Streamer73

I think a probable solution to this was posted in your previous thread - did you change your HDMI video output to monitor 2 for the PJ? The default Auto (Dual) setting often causes issues when two display devices with differing capabilities are connected at the same time (even when one isn't being used).

Give it a try and if it cures the problem you can apply separate Quick Select functions for the TV and PJ that sets the required HDMI output:

dante01

Distinguished Member
The quickest way to test whether o=r not 2 devices the outputs are connected to are conflicting and causing issues is to simply disconnect the device (TV or PJ) not in use at the time from its mains electricity supply. This would prevent the device being able to communicate with any of the other devices inthe HDMI chain andd as such prevent any conflicts.

Anyway, no it wouldn'y be advised that you keep both the outputs from the AVR active at the same time if the TV and the PJ haven't the same video handling capabilities. THe lesser device will always dictate what a source can output even if not actually using the lesser device to view the video on.

Last edited:

flamenco

Standard Member
I think a probable solution to this was posted in your previous thread - did you change your HDMI video output to monitor 2 for the PJ? The default Auto (Dual) setting often causes issues when two display devices with differing capabilities are connected at the same time (even when one isn't being used).

Give it a try and if it cures the problem you can apply separate Quick Select functions for the TV and PJ that sets the required HDMI output:

Thank you for that. I didn’t do anything with selecting different video outputs so yesterday, I looked at the links you posted. I must have pressed the wrong thing at some point and lost the picture. Annoyingly it coincided with Virgin TV suffering an outage for my area, as reported on their website, but when that was over, I was still looking at a message from the TV that there was no input signal. I could hear the virgin sound and could change channels but nothing I did gave me back the picture. I resorted to doing a reset and starting from scratch (including a save your settings option to a usb stick which of course, preserved the error I had introduced) so a second reset without the usb stick eventually gave me the picture back. There must be a simpler way of using the remote to undo whatever it was i did to lose the picture, surely? I couldn’t see the screen messages when trying to restore the picture so had to look at the front of the Denon - not very easy.

Streamer73

In addition to what dante01 suggested, I would do the following to give you an ‘easy’ method:

With the TV connected to Monitor 1 on the Denon, choose your desired input and make sure you HDMI output is set to HDMI 1. Hopefully you will have picture and sound at this point! Press and hold Quick Select 1 on the front of the receiver until it registers. Repeat with the PJ connected to monitor 2 but change the HDMI output to Monitor 2.

You should now be able to use the quick select buttons on the remote to switch between your TV and PJ as required.

Is your Denon connected to your network? You can also use its web interface to access the menu in case the OSD is working.

flamenco

Standard Member
Thank you again. Yes, the Denon is on my network - hadn’t realised I could access the menu that way. Thanks again.

I will try to assign the input/outputs as suggested. At present, I have the TV connected via HDMI from the Monitor1 ARC eARC output. The Monitor2 output has an HDMI cable which currently is not connected to the projector but is the one I hope to use when I can get them both to play nice together. if assigning the outputs, should I connect the projector (to Monitor2) and have it switched on or does it not make any difference?

With my old Denon 2310, I used to take the HDMI out of the TV and plug it into the projector - it always worked and I never had an issue but didn’t care for the HDMI lead being unplugged and re-plugged like that.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom