Is this a Barmy Idea ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ukfatboy, Sep 9, 2004.

1. ukfatboy

ukfatboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings all !

Some of you might know that I am currently in the painfull process of getting my first projector. More or less settled on Themscene H77/ benq 8700 or infocus 7205, all dlp you might note.

I have always had the intention of running the projector off my HTPC off dvi.

As I was thinking about the position last night a mad idea crossed my mind.

Its now possible to run 2 graphics cards or a dual dvi out card in the pc. So would there be any benefit in running 2 projectors ( both out putting the same image ) at the same time ?

I assume that brightness etc could be increased etc ?

Obviously I could then consider 2 cheaper projectors to make up the image and even consider high def capable LCD projectors ?

Am I Barking :rotfl:

2. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    BARK BARK

it is possible but is a knightmare to set up, and would more than likley be a pro install.

Then theres 2 lots of PJ noise.+the PC.

Have to say since HDMI whats the point of a HTPC.

Anyhow good luck if you try it. 2 lots of bulbs regular calibration to sync. rather u than me LOL

3. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,037
    Woooooofff!

Its hard enough getting your iamge to fit exactly on a screen, never mind trying to overlay 2 images on top of each other, especially as they would be projected from 2 slightly different angles. I'm no expert by any means but this does sound a little crazy :zonked:

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,909
    'Stacking' is tricky but possible - it's normaly done with CRTs when a larger image is needed, but a single CRT can't produce enough lumens.

Your idea is another step - stacking usualy involves a single output to two projectors, but you're trying two with different outputs (2 x XGA): 2048 x 768 = 2.6:1. With some scaling, I guess you could keep a constant height, and vary the width like in a proper cinema. :)

Unfortunately I don't think you'de be able to run two graphics cards in the same PC though.

Nice idea, but a pig to produce. Let us know how you get on. :D

Gary.

5. ukfatboy

ukfatboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting 2 different opinions !

I think the HTPC debate is well discussed on the forum but I can tell you that my pc is silent and produces a better picture than my TAG dvd player !

It is in fact possible to use 2 graphic cards but not easy ! alternatively there are a number of graphic cards that have 2 dvi outputs on one card which would seem to be a easier starting point !

Anybody else have any comments ?

6. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    In the past I have stacked two Sim2 Domino projectors to good effect.
    Alignment was easy with the optical lens shift and the remote control zoom.
    I could only feed 2 S-Video signals from a Pioneer 868 but a graphics card with 2x DVI out would be excellent.
    Incidently I wholeheartedly agree about the picture quality using a PC.
    I use a Uvem unit produced by Phil Hale and it is far better than any of the DVD players I have tried.

Jeff :rtfm: