1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a bargain?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by philthyanimal, Oct 26, 2004.

1. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic TH-42PW7B £1892 inc delivery. Seems good value to me.
    Or does anyone know of a better/cheaper deal on similar spec plasma's, as the time is comming for me to buy one.

2. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    That'll be digital point then, good price, not so sure about the after-sales service, have a quick search

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    depending on what input boards it comes with not a bad price if it includes delivery.......But using the very cheapest supplier on the block can be a bad move with such an expensive item........

4. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    doesn't seem to have any input boards. Seen it for about £2050 with a choice of board included n the price along with delivery.
    So, is this plasma worth the money or would i be better looking at a pw6 for about £400 less, or are there any others around the £2000 mark worth buying.
    also if i was to get one board for it , which one is recommended(i have sky+ and a dvd with component out)
    also, i wont be buying until january, do you think there may be some bargains to be had in the sales?

5. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The £1892 price includes a component board and delivery

as for a sky connection, everyone recommends the JS RGB to VGA convertor.

6. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I too am looking to get a Plasma and have been lurking in this forum most days...

My take is this - the PW6 can still be had for now - it's price seems to be dropping every week at AV-Sales - now down to £1580 - although the extended 4 year warranty has mysteriously gone up by £70!

However I think I will wait until Jan next year - I'm convinced that PW7's will be at about the same price then - there is just too much competition out there and the manufacturers will drop prices aswell in order to get volumes up! This is a fast growing sector of the market - gone are the days when manufacturers could charge what they want!

BTW why do I make a point about extended warranties? Well my Panasonic 36" TV developed a fault after 4 Years and 11 Months - and it could not be economically repaired!

Result - a cheque for £1250 from Domestic & General!

Now, I do not know if TADL, who are the only viable providers of Plasma warranties, are as good as D&G but I'll be seriously considering them! Unfortunately D&G charge outrageous pricing on Plasma warranties. I believe John Lewis use D&G - but then they don't sell Panasonic panels only the Vieras which are much more expensive.

So you takes your choice - buy a PW6 today at a bargain price or wait until Jan and maybe realise that bargain price has become the norm and with the latest models!

I bet there’s a product roadmap somewhere in the bowels of Panasonic UK that shows this - I wonder? :)

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Panasonic love the fact they are selling loads but they never planned for them to be this cheap...Its only due to resllers cutting margins and doing huge volume that made the PW6 so cheap.... I think it is more likely panasonic will reduce the volume discount on the PW7 so they can make more money...

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    From a 'low volume, service orientated' retail point of view I hope you are right! The Panasonic price is essentially no margin, if you match it you make no money at all. The high volume guys then get a 'cash back' from Panasonic. This makes it only economic to be a box shifter. Next year there will be no 'consumer' panel, things may be a little different. Not necessarily more expensive, just room in the market for both types of retail.

9. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    .... I think it is more likely panasonic will reduce the volume discount on the PW7 so they can make more money...

We shall see .... come the January sales ....

with post Christmas Blues, Interest Rates Biting, House Prices Crashing, High Oil Prices etc etc - being a touch melodramatic here - but you get the point.

I really do believe that anyone with spare cash will be able to drive a hard bargain after Christmas.

If I'm wrong, will I be really paying £500 more than today for a Panasonic 42" Plasma panel - Really? :rolleyes:

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    TFT prices have gone up...... As has memory recently alot if it is based on the market prices of chips and glass..............

11. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But what am I going to do all Xmas except watch DVDs? (bought my pwd6 today)

PS. The double slot Svideo + composite + component input card is now on the free list (was +£55 before).

12. brock_landers

brock_landers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You know as well as I do that the price of plasma will continue to freefall, with Panasonic leading the way.

LCD is completely knackered thanks to Toshiba and their HDMI enabled 32" screen selling for the same price/Less than their flagship CRT.

Everyone NEEDS to be box shifters these days and the strange thing is, it isn't Walmart (As previously predicted by me 3 years ago) that has killed the market, it is struggling established retailers like Miller Brothers, Sound and Vision that are causing REAL problems for both High street and online retailers.

Some of the prices people are selling the PW7 at are completely suicidal and you will see a lot of small online retailers biting the bullet and not selling as cheaply as they have over the last 12 months.

The damage has been done. The BIG online retailers now have a buy price that will kill the market for everyone else.

They will now increase this market as people "Wise up" that they can buy the same thing cheaper online.

I wish I had shares in some of the mentalists on Dealtime/Pricerunner et al.....

Regards,
    Brock

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    But these guys have consumer accounts. Panasonic commercial will soon have exclusive access to the PW8 panel, ie no panel for the consumer market. So quite a number of the 'wised up' guys will not be buying from sound and vision etc, as they will want HD compatibility etc. Pioneer are going this way too, releasing the XDE to premium dealers only, like Joe etc. The consumer products are likely to be further 'trimmed' in spec to get the price down. So then you'll be able to buy a basic TV for cheap but if you want something decent you'll have to pay.

14. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    ... but if you want something decent you'll have to pay ...

Having been in the fortunate position of being able to borrow a 42" Plasma for the past week before deciding to buy - I can tell you that even a mormal SD panel fed with a variety of sources beats the pants of my now defunct Panasonic 36" CRT.

And, I'm not even using a Panasonic panel!

I welcome the commoditisation of these products - the times are changing - and the Account Managers at Panasonic know this too well!

I will not be surprised to see £999 42" Plasmas arriving soon from the cheap brigade - I'm sure they'll be pretty awful but what that will mean is that Panasonic charging a street price of £2000 for a standard 42" panel will be totally unrealistic!

At a price of £1500 - demand and volumes will shoot up - economies of scale kick in pretty quickly and profits will still be made!

:nono:

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well i think this is a big issue as Panny are nobbling sales of buget units and there is a limit to where the price will stop at! Especially as panny are still building 36" CRT tubes!!!! :eek:
    However if panny stop selling panels via Consumer dealers I know of a lot of dealers who sell a mix of panel/TV plasma and wil look elsewhere for the panels.......... Fujitsu dont make tellys and neither do NEC.

16. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I'm sure Panasonic would love to stop making those troublesome 36" CRT Tubes and instead concentate on Flat Screen technology - the signs are there - not many 36" TV's to choose from these days!

When I saw the latest monstrous Toshiba 36" model - I thought :censored: Hell! It's even bigger than my defunct 5 Year old 36" Panasonic. Even worse, I find it sits on a Kitchen Vegetable Rack in it's resplendent all silver finish!

I couldn't even find a 36" Panasonic to look at!

I will not have my loan 42" Plasma for much longer - but the sheer image presence, with no geometric distortion and no dirty screen phenomenon, clinches it for me. I will not tolerate another 76kg monster in my living room for another 5 Years.

I will suffer with an old Grundig 28" job for now until the new year when I hope to get one of the PW7 black panels at a similar price to todays PW6.

:clap:

Of course I could be wrong ...

17. njr

njr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was what I was planning, but when I saw the AV sales price at £1580 for the PW6, I couldnt wait any longer :D I have a hunch the PW7 wont be that much different to the PW6 in terms of image quality.

Hopefully will get my PW6 in the next few days!