is there too much risk buying iphone 5 off private seller

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by whos mother, Feb 25, 2013.

1. whos mother

whos mother

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i am in the process of buying an iphone 5 after selling my s3 ill probably have to add anywhere between 100 and 250 depending which route I take

I am concerned because the phone will likely be £400-500

Am I better off spending more and getting either a second hand unit from a shop sech as CEX or cash converters or saving some cash and buying private(ebay,forums,gumtree etc)

how likely /easy is it for the seller to get the phone blocked once Ive bought it by saying its been stolen,and if its that easy why do you not here these stories every 5 minutes as these sites sell so many

for the first time in my life I am actually thinking about going straight to the apple store,taking a further hit and just buying a new one (500-700)

2. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    This has been answered before in the forums but I'll try to answer your points one-by-one.

It's very easy for someone to block their phone by reporting it stolen. How likely this would happen would depends on the seller and how desperate they are for cash but the reason you don't hear about it often is simply because if someone was gonna do that, they're likely to sell it cash in hand to somebody on the street rather than on eBay or AVF.

Also, not everyone has phone insurance and there are plenty of genuine sellers out there who have an unwanted upgrade or wish to trade therefore it's simply not as common as the press or the cops would have you believe.

Buying from AVF is generally safe; look at the iTrader feedback of the person. People here are not out to scam anyone and if it's a new seller, ask them to post first. If they have nothing to hide and it's a genuine sale then chances are that they'll be happy to oblige providing you have reliable feedback too. If not and they demand cash up front, and they have just joined the forums, then be wary.

With eBay, you're protected by PayPal and if the seller defers, you can open a case against them. You'll have their full name and address and if a private seller does vanishing act PayPal should theoretically refund you the full amount. For a business seller, this is always the case although you might have to go through the whole admin process that can take a while.

Buying anything from Gumtree will always be a risk as there's no recourse if anything goes wrong. Personally, I wouldn't buy any mobile from Gumtree unless it was dirt cheap and you could afford for it to be blocked. Having said that, there are plenty where the seller is genuine but again, it's the risk factor. You can generally tell by the tone of the advert and how good the deal is. If it's stupidly cheap then the seller is desperate for cash and there's an increased risk it's nicked and the seller is offering it cheap to offload as quick as possible.

CEX or other second hand shop will give you a warranty but you could pay more.

For the amount you are looking to spend, I would buy new from a retailer (not necessarily Apple though) for the warranty.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

3. whos mother

whos mother

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    thanks for a great reply

Im not a fan off CEX as they are too expensive but you do get some comeback,however a mint unlocked iphone 5 is only £5 cheaper than apple:eek:

when you say other retailers do you mean the network themselves?....on 3 its only £30 cheaper than apple and I assume that comes locked and with the network bloatware on there

4. whos mother

whos mother

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The biggest problem with buying phones is the fact that someone can remotely make it useless by reporting it stolen or whatever,and when you are talking 4-600 thats a lot of money

If you buy an amp or speakers all you have to worry about is does it work/condition etc....with a phone you have to see it works but also to judge the character of the seller as well,ive never even thought about it before and ive bought loads of phones but once the money increases it does make you think.

5. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Yes, any other established retailer. I like Amazon as their refund policy is solid, they give you 30 days to mess around with the handset and if anything goes wrong, a replacement or full refund is given.

CEX is quite good too and prices can be competitive depending on the model but the condition of the handset varies enormously and you seldom find anything in absolutely mint condition there (personally, I'd rather pay more for a mint handset).

6. whos mother

whos mother

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    would something like this still have a 12 month apple warranty then?....i only normally buy little bits and bobs online

Apple iPhone 5 - 16GB Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

that is cheaper than cex sell a "mint" unlocked one for

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  7. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Not sure about that one as it's shipped by Amazon on behalf of another seller and not actually sold by Amazon.

8. whos mother

whos mother

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i didnt even notice:laugh:...does it actually say amazon by the seller if its them directly?

9. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Yep, it'll say Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk.

:smashin:

10. douki

douki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    As previously mentioned, for this sort of money you want a warranty. This means having a receipt. I would buy new myself from Apple and just take the hit. Personally I wouldn't hand over £500 to a stranger for a used iPhone, no way, but that's just me. If I knew/trusted the person and it was brand new in box then I might be tempted but I'd still need a warranty.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2013