Is there the standard Dolby Digital 5.1 on All Blu rays

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by richardgoforth, Jun 8, 2009.

1. richardgoforth

richardgoforth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm experiencing problems getting a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal via optical to my Cambridge Soundworks DT3500 on certain Blu-Rays. I've tried all the different setting I think are possible for the optical output. Strange thing is the menu's and trailers on the Blue-ray do come through my surround sound in DD 5.1 but when I get to the main movie the LED that indicates a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal goes out. The DT3500 is quite old and does not support the new HD formats or DTS just the old Dolby Digital 5.1. Are the new Blurays not carrying the old standard DD 5.1. The movie was 'The day the earth stood Still' and in the sound menu on the blu ray only had a option for 5.1 DTS HD.

2. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    In the PS3 sound menu, I think you should have 'only' dolby digital 5.1 ticked.

3. richardgoforth

richardgoforth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have dolby digital 5.1 selected and DTS unselected. Can't remember which other ones I have selected only the defaults i think. When I get chance I'll document all the settings I've tried on here.

4. ThuGLy

ThuGLy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,684
    also set to bitstream not lcpm :smashin:

5. richardgoforth

richardgoforth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tried both Bitstream and LCPM.

6. ThuGLy

ThuGLy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,684
    yeah you could be right would a hd dts carry core dts does your amp not do dts then? one of the more knowledgeable members should be along soon.:smashin:

7. feaviolp

feaviolp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Actually I'd suggest the opposite. If the OP is saying his amp is old and doesn't support new HD audio then let the PS3 do the work. The PS3 can still decode the HD audio and send it as discrete channels over LPCM so all the amp needs to do is accept multi channels - no decoding necessary. With bistream the amp has to do the work, and in this case probably can't.

richardgoforth - I see that you've tried bitstream and LPCM. But... have you disabled any of the audio options in the PS3 audio settings thinking that your amp can't take them? Remember that if the PS3 is decoding then it doesn't matter about the amp. I'd go back into audio settings, select optical then tick all of the sub-options, including the LPCM ones. Then go and change the output from bitstream to LPCM. This may be a combination you've tried before, but it sounds to me like the most likely to work so I suggest giving it a go :smashin:

8. ThuGLy

ThuGLy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,684
    cheers feaviolp but must admit im bit confused on the lcpm>bitstream i have connected to amp with optical and after reading many times such things as below..

If your receiver accepts audio over HDMI, then set the PS3 to linear PCM, so it decodes all lossless audio. That's it. The PS3 can't bitstream lossless audio codecs, so it has to do the decoding.

If your PS3 is connected to the receiver via the digital optical cable, then you can only use compressed audio codecs such as Dolby Digital and DTS. In that case set the audio to bitstream, so it will bitstream the lossy signal to your receiver to decode....

i have it set to bitstream and get dts and dd.:confused:

9. richardgoforth

richardgoforth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    One thing i probably havent mention is I do get sound but the Dolby Digital 5.1 light doesn't come on so I'm assuming i'm only getting stereo. I'll have another look tonight and play with the different settings. This is only on certain Blu-Rays 'The day the earth Stood Still' but 'Rise of the Lycans' works fine.

10. feaviolp

feaviolp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Yep - there are so many posts in so many threads on this subject it's no wonder it's confusion. And upon re-reading my post I've made a mistake anyway because I was forgetting the optical limitation (and you were right :oops:).

My understanding is as follows:

1. LPCM = PS3 decodes and sends as discrete channels, bistreasm = PS3 sends encoded signal to amp to decode.
    2. Optical can only support up-to non-HD 5.1 over bitstream and 2 channel over LPCM (that's my mistake)
    3. HDMI can support all current audio codecs.
    4. The PS3 will only bitsread non-HD audio codecs.
    5. People generally seem to think that amps (good ones) decode audio better than the PS3 because it's what they're designed to do.

So generally speaking, if you have a decent amp you'll get the best non-HD sound using bitstream whether optical or HDMI.

But... since the PS3 can't bitsream HD audio you'll only get HD audio via LPCM.

So some people switch between the two, using the amp with bitstream wherever possible, but switching to LPCM when watching a Blu-Ray with HD audio for example.

Personally I choose to leave it as LPCM so I don't continually keep switching. I find the PS3 does a perfectly good job of decoding so the only thing I really notie is the amp says "Multich" instead of the DTS-HD or whatever, because by the time it gets to the amp using LPCM it doesn't know what codec is started out as - it's just discrete channels.

But... back to my mistake. I had forgotten that optical is mimited to 2 channels using LPCM so to get 5.1 you're quite right - it needs to be set to bitstream. So that's why you're quite rightly getting DD and DTS, but you won't get DTS-HD because optical doesn't have the bandwidth to support it.

Sorry for my earlier confusion. Hope that helps :smashin:

11. ThuGLy

ThuGLy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,684
    sorry to the op for the thread within a thread :D

feaviolp i was about to post back lol just set mine to lcpm over optical and i still get the dts and dd surround lighting up so presume im still getting that.:confused::confused::confused:

12. feaviolp

feaviolp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Hmmm. I hate not knowing something so I've been doing a bit of research on this. It does look like some Blu-Rays are released without a DD 5.1 track on them.

A quote I picked up (from another forum so obvious caveat is this is just someone else's opinion) is:

===
    Almost all Blu-ray movies support Dolby Digital as a back-up to PCM and True-HD. The exception however, are discs with DTS-HD MA, which do not seem to have any dolby digital back up track, and this is probably to do with it already having a DTS core track which can be streamed through the SP/DIF. It's really up to the publisher what tracks are on there. I suspect they reckon that almost every AV receiver these days can do DTS, and felt there was no need for a DD back-up track.
    ===

Now - I checked The Day The Earth Stood Still and it does indeed have DTS-HD MA, and no DD track listed.

I hadn't read your original post properly in that your amp can't support standard DTS either. As I understand it the PS3 can take the DTS-HD codec and extract the standard DTS core to transmit over optical. But of course your amp won't even recognise that.

I assume that since you're playing Blu-Rays that you have an HD TV? So with the HD TV and the PS3 I think it's time to upgrade your amp too. Sorry :(

13. feaviolp

feaviolp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Huh??? That doesn't sound right at all. You've changed the BD Audio Output from bitstream to LPCM right? Rather than just ticking the LPCM boxes in the audio settings.

14. ThuGLy

ThuGLy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,684
    yes just rechecked only for games though killzone 2 dts, cod waw dd surround through lcpm underworld lcpm 2 channel sound dts through bitstream.:smashin:

15. feaviolp

feaviolp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Ahh - back to making sense then. The Blu-Ray (the one taking notice of your changed setting to LPCM) is now just sending two channels as predicted.

So at least in your case it's an easy decision: set it to bitstream :smashin:

The decision only really becomes something to think about when you're talking about HDMI, which is where my previous post should really be aimed. That's when you start comparing between the relative advantages of HD audio over LPCM against non-HD audio over bitstream etc.

16. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,353
    Afraid to say the OP does need a new amp to at least get standard DTS on Blu-rays that have DTS-MA sound (which includes the DTS Core)

If you did upgrade your amp to one that accepts DTS as well as DD (fairly standard on most receivers) as a bonus DTS core is much better than the equivalent usual DTS you sometimes get on DVDs

DTS Core. is the exact same as DTS on standard DVDs. The DVD spec allows up to a 1.5mbit rate on DTS tracks. In practice, most DVDs are recorded at half rate DTS at around 748kbits so a useful quality increase for blu rays which use the full 1.5mbit.