Is there such a thing as too old

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JFRTDI, Jan 5, 2012.

1. JFRTDI

JFRTDI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    Hi Guys/Girls,

Is their such a thing as being too old to get a new job. I mean im only 25 but have been stuck in the same kind of work for the last 7 years and im becoming increasingly frustrated with the lack of actual brain power that needs to be used.

Im finding it boring and i think that's down to the fact we are not busy, losing out to competitors and what not. Also the fact that iv been told i can move up etc etc but just get told constant spiel and nothing ever materialises.

I went to college/uni after school and learned ICT but never ever managed to get a job doing such a thing, no experience :mad:

While i enjoy it, as im getting on in life :laugh: i also like the idea of doing things which involve cabling, audio/visual stuff, installations and what not.

Question is, is it too late to try and get into this type of job as possibly a trainee or will they not even bother with me? I also have a feeling i wont get paid the same which is another factor.

I currently earn doing what i do 19k a year which is not massive amounts but has been enough for me and for past 3 years has been 22-24k with overtime. I've managed to buy my own car, pay for a wedding, go on holidays etc buy all fancy stuff. Currently next on the list is a house deposit.

If so whats the best way to go about such a thing?

Or

Am i expecting too much in life or should i just get on with it :lease:

2. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31,483
    I didn't get my first (proper) job until I was 25, so I would say GO FOR IT!

3. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31,483
    I've also been in the position of having the 'promising things' spiel - gave them a few chances and moved on - best thing I ever did career-wise.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  4. StevePSIV

StevePSIV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,702
    I'd also say go for it if you're not happy in your current role.

Friend of mind is the same age as you and has just started a new career because he was unhappy in his old one.

5. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,061
    As with many things in life if you wait for them they will not happen. is it possible to make suggestions within your existing company that will make them sit up and take notice of you? That's what I did where I work, I started right at the bottom with a complete career change at age 25, dropped from a good wage to £10,500 a year and over the last 11 years have developed my own role within the company and now look after a team of 11 people and am the Global Purchasing Manager with a multi-million £ budget to work with...and a decent wage!

You have to be able to offer something and prove your worth, if you feel restricted then you probably are so you need to do something about it.

6. JFRTDI

JFRTDI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    The only thing that is stopping me is the drop in wage, i dont think i'd be able to do it not to the extent you did.

I have told them at work i am frustrated and have been looking for new jobs / openings.... so they are aware and he said well you will see there is not alot at the minute, which their wasnt. All these promises of job openings / new roles created imo will not happen, we just before xmas made 22 ppl redundant so not exactly a good thing for the future.

If i wanted to go into that field of work with regards to installations / audio / tv / cabling / ict etc

how or where do i start, in the past i failed on the no experience side of things, but i don't know whether that was because i was 17-19 applying for jobs out of my reach or what.

7. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31,483
    There's a guy here who has been trying to move into a better role in a different team - he is always told 'not possible' 'no room' 'not qualified enough' - so he went and got an offer from a different firm - guess what? Now it is possible, there is room, and he is qualified enough - he starts on Monday. Funny that :rolleyes:

8. JFRTDI

JFRTDI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    sounds like my place, not enough work for us etc, yet they bring in more temps because they did well when they was here last even though they left us in the **** and ran off back to poland !!!!

Based on what i said, what jobs would you class would you say i should be looking for? obviously it will take some searching but ill do it :)

9. StevePSIV

StevePSIV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,702
    That happens everywhere though doesn't it?

Had to really push my company recently to get the promotion I felt I deserved. Think they'll need another push in a few months!

10. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31,483
    My point exactly

11. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,813
    So true, that.

I had to do the same a few jobs ago, eventually I went for a job in another department on 25% more money for an easier role...suddenly they found the budget to keep me on. The thing about pulling stunts like that is, even if you are successful, I found that mentally I had already moved on, as I had had enough of feeling undervalued. So even though I got the payrise etc, I actually only lasted in there another four months or so.

Edit: OP, meant to say, it's a sad fact that if you want to progress in your career (and salary of course) it's almost always more lucrative to move on than to stay. Loyalty is not really rewarded these days.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  12. JFRTDI

JFRTDI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    I am finding that now Kav, doing all you can in terms of overtime, coming in early to suit them, standing in when another guy was off, getting told your better then him but its hard to put you in his place as he kinda just fell into it, playing me off against him and all these things get quite annoying.

I think i also forgot to say, the original job i have now is distribution so moving into something along the lines of what i want to is gonna be hard isnt it? Seems like a dead end half the time.

13. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,515
    I left school at 16 and worked in a dull office job until I was 25.

Then I went to university and changed my career. Best move of my life.

Go for it.

Steve W

14. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Yes there is such a thing.

But you are nowhere near it at all.

15. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,009
    When I read your age I have to point out you are young and will be for some time yet, get out there and do what you want, the question you pose will be a lot more relevant 30 years down the line ;)

16. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31,483
    Isn't Ron Paul running for the US Presidency at 76?! That's more than 3x the OP's age :laugh:

17. JFRTDI

JFRTDI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
  18. 7ofnine

7ofnine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +438
    At 25 you still have plenty of time to retrain, get qualifications and change career path.
    My philosophy is simple - do a job which you enjoy. If you're not happy in your current role, look for something else.

19. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Too old? At 25? Eee by gum!

I, too, am 25. I am currently in the final year (at long bloody last) of my law degree. I currently teach computing. Whereas I must concede that I started studying law at 21 and not 25, I will graduate this year at 25. My intention is to go to the Bar. I will likely complete a masters degree beforehand, which will take 2 years. Additionally, I have to do the Bar Professional Training Course, which is another 2 years, taking me to 29. If 25 is too old I'm buggered. ;)

I do not believe you're too old. There are no excuses. Do what you want to do and you will never have to suffer "what if... ?".

Do it.

20. Big_Si_Owen

Big_Si_Owen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    At the age of 28 I chucked in my job of 5 years at a BP refinery working in a lab because it was super dull with few prospects.

I went and worked for 9 months with the karate club I trained with bringing in new members.

Following that at 29 started as a temp at a pharmaceutical factory. Over the last 6 years I've been made permanent and changed roles 5 further times with increasingly senior positions with the latest being IT Service Manager for the site of 750 people.

At 35 I haven't stopped moving on and evolving yet!!!! I think you're probably ok to be thinking about changing at 25! Go get it!! :)

21. JFRTDI

JFRTDI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    I know that, I at one point did enjoy it. Lately no so much because of false promises and stuff like that. I feel after 7 years in the specific role/job I should be progressing on which they tell me I am more then capable, yet dont encourage or help me.

The only thing that stops me at present I think is money loss

22. 7ofnine

7ofnine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +438
    Also bear in mind that if you stay in a job for a long time, chances are you're limiting your work experience and skillset. Changing jobs is great for building up your CV.

23. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    I saw the title which made it seem bad, but then read you were only 25 :eek: :laugh:

In answer to your question, hell no, find something you like the look of and go for it :smashin:

24. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    You are never too old to do anything and since you are only 25, you're making chuckle. I am 40 and I am going to change my career form IT to becoming a Fitness Trainer. I just qualified only last year but planning my business model on it at the moment. You have a whole life ahead of you to learn new skills and trades...obviously it will be easier to get in groove with your dream career as early as possible, so act now and look ahead to a bright future.

25. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,504
    People retrain for entirely new career paths in their 30's/40's after they have done the whole family thing, so "no", not at all is the answer when you yourself are merely 25

26. DVD-Man

DVD-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    I guess the op's workplace doesn't record apprasials or meeting with supervisors or managers? This is the time to record your progress and achievements and plot your progress towards goals such as promotion.

27. JFRTDI

JFRTDI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    Dvd man, they do pdp and everytime I'm in he says the same things, your ready but its difficult as no openings etc. He then waffels on how he sees me taking his job when he retires in 4 years!

Rather then set actual goals, my next Target to be done by April is air freight training

28. 7ofnine

7ofnine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +438
    Waffle, yeah that's what performance appraisals are. Just a box ticking excercise. If you want your career to develop, you have to make it happen yourself.

29. JFRTDI

JFRTDI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    following on from this, i am actually standing in this week for 4 weeks as far as im aware doing manager / team leader role !!! And i actually do not mind going to work now but i know for a fact come end of 4 weeks and i slot back down, ill be back in that depressive mode :)

Question is, do i tell my manager anything? when im standing in i enjoy the job and use my brain, when im not i find it frustrating and dont want to be there? because why should i keep standing in and not achieving anything? give it to someone else and let them have a go if there is never any chance of getting anything from it?

cant all get handed the job on a plate or by default like the guy thats in it now

30. JFRTDI

JFRTDI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    following on again :)

I have since been offered a position which will see me run a shift within distribution :) I start the new role on April 16th.... Question is, how do you go about asking for more money? This has not been discussed yet but i know its only about 60-70p extra an hour then what im on now, i feel its worth slightly more but not sure if its the type of role where you negotiate money as its not some big banking director role :)