1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there such a thing as 'Friday Afternoon' speakers???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Chris The Ninja, May 8, 2005.

1. Chris The Ninja

Chris The Ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just to set the scene I used to have a set of Mordaunt Short MS25i Floorstanders which were at the end of a big(ish) room (12m x 5m) sat on a concrete (ground) floor. They sounded truly spectacular. Unfortunately my flat was flooded and the speakers had their chips.

As a result I had to move to a MUCH smaller flat (4m x 4m max!) and invest in a new set of speakers. Due to the excellent reviews I invested in a set of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's, a set of Atacama speaker stands and some new speaker cable. However the speakers sounded very disappointing. They did sound a bit better with some running in but I was extremely unimpressed given the glowing reviews they had received. Then the treble started cutting out occasionally on one of the speakers. Swapped things around and it was definitely the speaker. It could be shocked back into life by turning the volume right up. I guessed it was a problem with the crossover or the cone was freezing (if this is possible?). Anyhoo I eventually had them changed and got a replacement set. Right out of the box they have sounded much sweeter. More bass and a much nicer, more balanced sound altogether.

So my question is, is it possible to get different performance from the same model speakers? Can they be better made/wired/assembled? Seems strange to me but I am convinced they sound better.

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    well the first ones broke after awhile so maybe thats why they sounded bad. they sounded bad because something was wrong with them.

3. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    If you've had a tweeter fault - as you've identified - then it will severely spoil the sound of the speakers. Sometimes happens.

Out of interest, are you bi-wiring or single wiring ? Using banana plugs or not? Sometimes if you are single-wiring with bare cable then the linking straps on the speakers can look like they are touching both terminals - but aren't. If you've put the bare cable through the hole in the post, then tighten the nut onto the cable, then the strap underneath is not being contacted sometimes. High volumes can cut it in and out - the vibrations cause the contact to be made. You'll see what I mean if you take a look at the hole in the post - with cable in - and the 'c' shape of the linking strap underneath.

Just a thought. Tweeter might just have been faulty !

4. Chris The Ninja

Chris The Ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Single wired but with banana plugs. I will check that the binding posts are properly screwed down anyway - great idea, hadn't really considered that the gold contact between the 2 sets of speaker posts may not have been fully in contact and I WAS plugging into the woofer binding posts.

Didn't really consider the sound might have been generally impaired 'cos the problem was intermittent (and infrequent). Thinking about it though, when I was up close to the speakers the treble was not well balanced so perhpas the tweeter was poorly all the time. Glad I got the replacements now. Also, headed to a new flat with a more solid floor and a bigger room in a month which will hopefully improve the sound further.