Is there such a thing as a prog. player with NO problems?

KraGorn

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a prog. player, mainly PAL, to go with my AE300 ... using an HTPC is proving a pain and I probably will abandon the idea ... so I came here to research and learn ...

... only to find there's no such thing as a perfect DVD player that doesn't cost the earth.

Seems every time someone asks "what's the best player" (s)he gets replies about various Sony, Harman, Toshiba etc. etc. which point out problems is 'this' area or 'that' area .. players like the 2900 reportedly freeze on some DVDs, 2800MkIIs can't de-interlace properly etc. etc. Then there's stupidities like the 'chroma bug'.

Is this tech. REALLY so bleeding edge the manufacturers can't get it right? :eek:

As far as i know the Pioneer 757 now has a progressive firmware update and i havent read about anyone having any problems.

I have a 656 and i am v impressed by the build and quality of the picture. I am sure the 757 would be able to surpass it especially in progressive mode.

Pioneer's have Chroma bug.

Apparently the Panasonic RP-91K is very good, Chroma free, Progressive. But it's a 110V Region 1 player, NTSC Progressive only. And probably discontunied.

I read this comparative review of prog. scan players but it's an American site and their recommended players aren't sold here, or at least if they are they've different product codes, also of course the review looked at NTSC only.

Trouble with the 757 is it's expensive with whiz-bang features I don't want .. SACD and DVD-A to name but two .. I just want a decent DVD player with progressive scan that works, why doesn't anyone make something simple like that without overloading the features? :(

AIUI the 757 is only available with PS in a modded form .. HomeCinemaHeaven being onesuch .. how come the manufacturers don't make them as standard?

Could someone please give me a quick idea what the chroma bug is, or point me to a thread which explains it.

Cheers

No problems with my HK DVD25 (used with Panasonic 5 series plasma).

Would seem to meet your requirements.

Cheers

:)

Another happy DVD25 user. :)

Sadly the Harman devices weren't in that huge review so it's not possible to know how well they stack up against those that were. If nothing else that review showed that progressive scan DVDs are very, very far from equal. :sigh:

The 757ai is PAL prog out of the box if you buy one new now.
The upgrade is offered for existing owners.

How would one know if it's "new" or old stock?

Also, do these come without multi-region hacks? AIUI these are always third-party mods of some sort which I read can break normal functionality.

The new ones have a sticker on the front saying that they are PAL PS. You'd have to check with the supplier.
Mine was supplied MR (from LEConcepts) couldn't say how they did it though.

MY HK25 is good (no bugs as far as I am aware), it buggered up on displaying subtitles - nothing a soft reset didn't sort.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom