1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there such a thing as a cheap scaler ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by richjthorpe, Mar 30, 2005.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    All of the current scalers are about £700+. Is there anything out there that wont damage the wallet too much ? one of the main source will be Freeview.

Thanks,

Richie.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
  3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hehehe, I guess not then !

4. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    While not in the same league as most of the equipment discussed here, the Zinwell AVT-3700 is a nice little unit that takes in component, s-video and composite interlace signals and outputs 480P, 720P, 1080i plus up to SXGA. The results from my DVD player to my Projector at 720P were excellent.

Hope its not inapropriate to add that I have this unit for sale in the classified as it doesn't seem happy talking to my TFT monitor (works fine with other ones plus my projector) which was it's intended partner!

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201119

5. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    These forums do tend to concentrate on the DVDO, Lumagen and Crystalio scalers, and they really are good, but there are lots of good little scalers out there: Deuce, Imagemax, Vigatech, CYP. Zinwell Brite and Focus Enhancements are recommended by most, and are available around £300. Not as good as the big boys, but still very worthwhile for all PJs and panels.

Remember, though, that all scalers are not all things to all men. None will take any input and convert it successfully into any output - there are always some boxes that go unticked. No HDCP, no HDMI, no SDI, no 50Hz DVI, no HD processing in analogue, no frame-rate conversion in PAL, no motion-adaptive de-interlacing in HD, no 576i PAL input on DVI, the list is long and difficult to determine. They will all tell you what they DO do, but finding out what they DONT do is much more difficult. Just concentrate on what you need it for, and put your trust in VGA