1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there something I still have to do?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gordie, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Gordie

Gordie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Series 6 Plasma and the Pioneer 575 DVD player. They are connected to each other via a Van Damme component (3 RCA) lead that VDC Trading supplied.

I can't see any difference with progressive scan to interlaced. Is there something I need to do on the Panny or is it really only noticeable to the trained eye?

:confused:

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Both the images you are seeing are progressive images. It's just that one the DVD player is doing the de-interlacing & when the DVD player is outputting interlaced the Plasma is doing the de-interlacing. If the de-interlacers in both are comparable in quality you won't see much difference, but if one is a lot better than the other you will see the benefit (although it may be in only certain types of scenes/images).

3. Gordie

Gordie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You know Von, I was just thinking that. I knew that either the DVD or the Plasma could de-interlace and was the only explination to it, Cheers. Am I right in saying then that if I have any DVD player connected to the plasma (PS Compatable or not) then I would get a PS picture?

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Panny plasma's display a progressive image whatever you feed it. It is a case of finding the best de-interlacer (which is more usually found in the DVD player or scaler as opposed to the screen [but not always ;) ])

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,468
    Gordie

There are a couple of adjustment that you can make in both your Pioneer DVD player and Panasonic Plasma Display that will result in differing on screen images - though keep in mind some of the 'differences' will only become apparent with certain source material; you have to choose your test material knowing its going to actually 'test' some parameter of your system to the limit.

If you go through them one at a time with a selection of 'Torture' DVD's you will see where each Setting has a positive, negative or no effect on the video signal coming from your player.

DVD Player - you can switch it between Interlaced and Progressive output.

Plasma - you can switch 'Cinema' mode on or off.

Whilst your Plasma is inherently a Progressive device and always combines Interlaced Fields to produce Progressive Frames it also has the ability (using the Cinema mode) to recognise PAL and NTSC material that's been transferred from Film to Video.

Transferring Film to Video adds additional fields which can cause odd artefacts and stuttering camera pans (movement) on movies.

There's a good (though long) article on 'Secrets of Home Theatre' that's worth a read and may give you an idea of what to look for as you go back through the various settings in your system.

See http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html

Best regards

Joe