1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there really any stand out winner??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Mowlith, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Mowlith

Mowlith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I guess this is the million dollar question... Is there really a big difference with any of the major screens out there???

Hitachi.. Panasonic... Sony... will the average man on the street really notice any big difference when sitting in his front room watching his latest DVD.

Or is it just that each manufacturer has the edge on a different aspect of viewing preferences?

Where out there can we go and sit and compaire 5 screens all perfectly set up and showing the same film to be able to judge in the finest detail?

Bottom line is, If I have £1500 to £2500 to spend is there any really winner out there????????????

2. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pio 435 :smashin:

3. buzzby

buzzby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    without knowing the correct answer i am going to go with YES as there is always a best product between any price range. The problem is that every persons definition of best changes with what there needs are.

Reading around, i think that the panasonic PW7 or TH42PE30 are good plasmas within your price range

4. Mowlith

Mowlith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would of course like more reply's to my original question, but to add a little more to it.... at what point would it be worth spending more money to get a real winner... another £500 or £1000....

5. buzzby

buzzby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave i think you are thinking the same think i have been.

If i spend and extra £500 what do i get better. I spend about 2 hours today going around all of the electric retailer in my area to try and SEE some plasma's on display so that i could compare specs to what i could see.

A big difference i saw was how some plasma handle black and white and how much colour detail they have. (you have to take into account that some of the plasmas will not have been set up correctly)

From what i observed the resolsution makes a huge difference to the picture quality and that the more expensive plasmas had a better color depth and sharpness about them.

the problem is that peoples definition of picture quality changes from person to person. I might think the picture quality isn't very good while some people think its exerlent.

the point i am trying to make and hopefully this also answers your question. You cannot be told the difference between a £2k or a £3k plasma, you have to look at them running side by side to see what the difference is.

I hope i have made some sence and i have been almost helpful