1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there really any point to 1080i/p without a sutable screen?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by DaveP, Aug 2, 2005.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I built a PC for use with a tele upstairs. Initially I had an ATI 9200SE using the s-video connection,. I then tried the VGA to Scart solution but without success. In the hunt for an easy solution of connecting a PC to a TV I finally invested in an LCD TV with DVI input - Pure Nirvana!

Anyway I decided I'd like to look into the world of 1080i/p to see what all the fuss was about. I decided the 9200SE wouldn't be up to it and so upgraded to an ATI 9600XT. This wasn't really man enough either so I then bought an nVidia 6800LE which has the 256bit pipe.

So I was finally all set with a 2.8Mhz P4, 1Gb of ram and the 6800LE connected by DVI to the 26" LCD (1280x768).

The 6800LE is very good in that it is designed for HDTV. I downloaded the Batman trailer from the MS site and changed the resolution to 1920x1080. I played the trailer using Media Player 10.

Playback was fine and very impressive.

Now to the point of this post: I changed the res back to 1280x768 (1:1 pixel mapping) and played it again. I honestly can't see any dfference!.

So is there really any point to getting hold of 1080i/p material if you haven't got a native res to play it on?

Would it be better on a larger screen or even a pj?

Sorry if this has been done to death but a search was not really helpful.

Dave

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Well, on my PW7 plasma (852 x 480) both the 720 and 1080 hi-def video looks fab, but I can't tell the difference between the two either.

Be interesting to see what kit is needed to see the difference that 1080 brings over 720, and where I can go to see a demo.

lisa

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We use a Dell 2405FPW at work for displaying network information. I'd love to borrow it for a weekend. It does 1920x1200 (WUXGA) and should handle 1080i/p with ease. It's a shame they are so expensive and I'd like a few more inches!

Dave

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Wouldn't we all :D

5. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    The Dell 2405 is truely awesome but we'll soon be seeing 1080p capable LCDs for main manufacturers on the market that will be more geared towards video which should give an impressive result. About 1080i/p a capable screen is a must. In fact I would go so far as to say that the format that matches your diplay most closely would actually give a better result as the process used to change resolution by the industry would be superior to your display downgrading the image.