Is there one really good reference UHD + HDR blu ray?

gers1978

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I know of the "real or fake 4K" web site, but I was wondering if there's a really good reference UHD blu ray, where all scenes and FX were shot in 4K, plus has HDR?

I have an Xbox One S and a Samsung UE65KS8000 HDR 4K TV, would love to really see the top quality from a UHD blu ray.

Thanks

If you're after a film that actually has a 4k DI and either has no vfx that need to be rendered or all vfx in 4K also (that isnt a bloody awful film and thats recent enough not to have heaps of grain) you're probably looking at lucy for your best bet.

Which coincidentally enough is on sale everywhere for £15 atm.

Last edited:
Every feature film currently released on UHD in the UK has HDR :thumbsup:

Hi, u should be looking @ the Martian or Pacific rim for wow factor.
Agreed on the wow factor, but neither have 4K DI's. The Martian does on scenes without vfx, but that does cut out a fair proportion of the film tbh.

Why is it so common for effects to be done in 2K?

And we have to remember that UHD resolution is not "True" 4k...get ready for an announcement in ces 2017.will probably be an announcement on true "4k" tvs with HDR 12. It's like the whole 720p and then 1080p full HD tvs.

fudge off. Don't you dare make me buy 2 £3K tv's in a year :mad:

And i don't think HDR12 is around the corner tbh, being that HDR10 is now the established HDR format.

And we have to remember that UHD resolution is not "True" 4k...get ready for an announcement in ces 2017.will probably be an announcement on true "4k" tvs with HDR 12. It's like the whole 720p and then 1080p full HD tvs.

What?! You having a giraffe? Lol :laugh::suicide:

Where does it ever end though ? Technology is always evolving. I've been an early adopter for years now and I know I've lost a lot of money buying into things early. I'm on the lookout for a 4k TV to go with a PS4 Pro. I could hold out until next year or even longer but it gets to the point where I just cave in and buy [emoji23]

Where does it ever end though ? Technology is always evolving. I've been an early adopter for years now and I know I've lost a lot of money buying into things early. I'm on the lookout for a 4k TV to go with a PS4 Pro. I could hold out until next year or even longer but it gets to the point where I just cave in and buy [emoji23]
Yes this is true,I've been out of the retail game for over three years and so much has changed in them three years.I think because 3D was meant to have a 10 year lifespan but unfortunately failed to the mainstream of the public(I still enjoy watched it) and the amount of the good folks on these very forums still have a passion for it.Tv manufacturers had too come up with something else and quick(when I worked for Sony centre) 4k or UHD as it was to be known as for Sony producing a true 4k tv was way out of budget so they teamed up with vue cinemas for digital 4k projector systems.I think 2017 and the big tv players will be launching 4k screen's and oled will be more prominent. ;-)

Don't be ridiculous, it's nothing like the same.

720p or "HD Ready" was just a marketing ploy by the TV manufacturers to sell early "HD" sets to unwary customers. There were never any 720p Blurays or players, nor did any of the broadcasters use it, going straight for 1080 (albeit interlaced).

Whilst 4K may technically have referred to 4096 horizontal pixels initially, it's now been adopted as a general term for the 3840x2160 standard. We have TVs, UHD discs and players and broadcasters all using this resolution and the 4K term interchangably.

A few anal nerds keep moaning on about it not being "True 4K" but frankly they need to get a life. Not only does it not matter any more but the 3840x2160 standard is far too entrenched now to be changed. If the industry tried telling us we needed to junk everything to move to a new standard with only 7% more pixels they'd get laughed out of the room.

Also, with regards to HDR, HDR10 is now also entrenched, simply because virtually all TVs support it, with only LG going for Dolby Vision, and all UHD discs and players thus far using it. Dolby Vision is pretty much dead already, despite any perceived benefits. It's too late to market and is a proprietary, licensed system.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom