Is there much difference between Pixel PLus and Pixel Plus 2

Smith2004

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying an LCD TV in the next few months or so and am swaying towards the Philips 32PF9986. I have chosen this model mainly on the strength of the reviews I have read, and because I have had experience of the older Philips 30PF9975 and was impressed by the original Pixel Plus. I have not yet had a demo of the 32PF9986 and am anxious to know if the new Pixel Plus 2 is any better than the original version. I realise that this is a subjective question, but any help would be welcome.

Apparently the 9976 is an improvement on the 9975 in terms of PQ and that has the original PP but whether its worth forking out that extra amount for PP2 I'm not so sure.

About the 9975, were you happy with the PQ? Because I have the 9976 and all my DVDs seem like they were shot with a digital home video recorder and lack that cinematic feel. Was it like that with your 9975? What leads did you use to connect and was there a marked difference?

Duffer, the 30PF9975 gives films this 'video' feel as well, but it never bothered me much as I was bowled over by the (perceived) extra detail and depth to the picture.

So would you recommend the 30pf9975 then Smith 2004?
How old is this animal?

Gazza, I would recommend it as I think the increase in detail and 'depth of field' is much better than other LCDs I have seen (although the current Sonys with the 'Wega Engine' come close to it IMO). However, I haven't seen Pixel Plus 2 in action yet and don't know if the 32PF9986 is much better or not- has anyone compared the two versions Pixel Plus and come up with a verdict?

With regards to the Philips 30PF9975 "Video Effect" in films this can be overcome in two ways. First way use the component connection from a Prog Scan player this bypasses all the PixelPlus and gives a great picture but you do lose screen stretching options. Second way if you are using scart connection then select the MoviePlus mode, this seems to work quite well with Sky movies also.

Good point. The MoviePlus mode does diminish the 'video effect' somewhat, although possibly at the expense of a certain amount of detail. I've no experience of using the component inputs as the DVD recorder connected to the set that I used only outputted interlaced pictures, which the component inputs on the 30PF9975 won't accept. You can also switch Pixel plus off altogether, (by using the prog scan mode), but this results in a much softened picture, however. As I said before, I don't mind the 'video effect' at all, but I realise that for many the loss of the cinematic look is a big drawback.

The 9975 model is based on an older, slower response panel than the 9986 and I imagine this contributes as much, if not more, to the improved picture quality as the update to Pixel Plus (especially as for "film like" movie viewing you are advised to turn off Pixel Plus anyway).

Thanks Alan D. A quicker response time would probably make a big difference as the 30PF9975 can become slightly blurred when coping with some fast moving images, although for most of the time it copes quite well IMO. I think I'll have to get a look at the 32PF9986 in the flesh and decide for myself.

I've had a 9986 for a week now and only purchased it after weeks of exhaustive research.

I tried them all!! Sony, Sharp, Panasonic, JVC, Loewe, etc etc. The trouble is, you go to a shop (Comet etc) and they all have the sets playing some common feed rubbish. You need to dig deeper to find out which sets really work.

You need to be HiDef ready too, so that knocks the Panasonic Viera out. You need Digital processing that actually improves the picture - out goes the JVC (even the new D50 version). You need to be able to afford it - out goes the Loewe and the Sony (unless you buy the ugly one). You need a genuinely watchable picture that performs wonders even with a poor feed - out goes the Sharp.

Your left with The PhilipsPF9986. Forget the 9976/75/56 etc. It needs PixelPlus2.

HiDef, Progressive Scan, 3 Scarts, DVI, HDMI, HDCP, Ambilight (Wonderful), 800:1 Contrast, 12ms response and PixelPlus2 make the 9986 the way to go. It even makes a rubbish RF terrestrial feed look good! Available now for around £2K.

Jimmy

Thanks Jimsan. I think I will probably be going for the 32PF9986 in the near future, although not before a demo. One point however, the 32PF9986 only has one digital input (DVI) as far as I know, will we not need more than one of these to cope with hi-def receivers and DVD players / recorders in the future- or will we be able to daisy-chain these devices as we can with scart?

I expect that we will be able to either daisy chain or use switching boxes. Ulimately what we will use will be a home cinema amp, or similar, with full HDMI switching, so that, as you say, only one cable goes to the TV. No Scarts, RF's components etc...Just one DVI lead! WOW.

Jimmy

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom