Is there major problems with the Toshiba Xe1 ?

low-def.

I started my HD life as a Blu Ray backer, but now i've decided to try out HD-DVD also. Mainly because the XE1 had such a good review in What Hi-fi this month.

So, I went and ordered one from play.com @ 469.99. Then I started reading this forum over the last day or so and noticed quite a few people mentioning playback issues with films like the Good Shepherd and Children of men (combo discs).

Has anyone else had any major issues with the XE1 for HD discs ?, or is it a problem with the combo format ?. I'm getting a little worried now as to whether I cancel my play order or not and just stick with Blu Ray (PS3) which I have been more than happy with so far.

swoolcoc

Had mine from Play.com a few days now and no problems whatsoever. I've played Happy Feet (HD combo), Corpse Bride (HD) and several old DVDs and all look superb. Not tried the two films you mention though.

Mine also seems quiet and I don't find the loading times too bad at all. The power down is quite annoying though. One film finishes, flick to TV to watch the news for a few minutes, go to load a new film and it's powered down and you have to go through the set-up routine again.

I have the audio through the digital coax connection and that is superb too (once I found the right settings, RTFM).

So a thumbs up from me. :thumbsup:

CarlB

Both Children of Men and The Good Shepherd played without any pauses/freezes on my XE1. Elsewhere I have documented my issues with lipsync and the analogue output from the player, but I haven't had any problems playing a single disc so far.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Hi had the Xe1 since day one and has behaved flawlessy (as it should).
Excellent build quality and i think it's a nice looking player.The pq and audio on HD dvd are stunning,it's also one of the best upscaling players for your SD dvd collection as well.I watched Children of men at the weekend played fine,great film actually.
My advice look forward to receiving your Xe1 you'll love it!Cheers.

mshdsp

I started my HD life as a Blu Ray backer, but now i've decided to try out HD-DVD also. Mainly because the XE1 had such a good review in What Hi-fi this month.

So, I went and ordered one from play.com @ 469.99. Then I started reading this forum over the last day or so and noticed quite a few people mentioning playback issues with films like the Good Shepherd and Children of men (combo discs).

Has anyone else had any major issues with the XE1 for HD discs ?, or is it a problem with the combo format ?. I'm getting a little worried now as to whether I cancel my play order or not and just stick with Blu Ray (PS3) which I have been more than happy with so far.

I got my XE1 on Saturday, and I have to say that I am impressed overall. The build quality is outstanding, and the design is not as bulky as I had imagined. The only problem I have experienced so far is the HDMI hand-shaking issue, but this can be resolved by making sure that your TV is on before switching on the player (or vv.). The loading time is very quick IMO.

And remember, most problems will be resolved via firmware updates (I hope).

The Spaniard

Tried 5 films so far - three hd (batman begins, bourne supremacy and kiss,kiss,bang bang) two played well, bourne supremacy lip sync looked like it was dubbed.

The two sd dvds - gladiator and pans labryinth - gladiator played, the other froze half way through and wouldn't continue.

The remote interaction on mine is useless - sometimes works, sometimes doesn't or is that slow you have given up.

Problems with getting hd sound via analogue are well documented on here.

I have a PS3 as well and so far it is winning on points - not for sd dvd though - Tosh is far, far superior.

It could be a great player...................fingers crossed for the next update.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom