1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there High Definition DVD recorders

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by san_marco, Jul 4, 2005.

1. san_marco

san_marco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a bit confused.

Ive seem the sony rdrhx 910 advertised coming out soonish, is this a true High Definition player/recorder? I know it has a HDMI outputs and it upscales 720p/1080i. So does this mean it is true HD. Or it just can upscale the content. So when i have HD DVD content film it will be able to play it without losing any quality.

If not then is there a true HD one being released?

Does anybody know any others and when they are being released.

Also when sky bring out HD content will it be able to record HD content and play it back, or because of licensing laws and HDCP will it just record SD.

Thanks a million in advance

Marc

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    It's a playback feature and is not a high definition recorder - currently there is no high definition DVD recorder on the UK market and there are no immediate plans to release one in the short term.

No - you'll need a new HD DVD player. Likewise if you buy a BluRay disc - you'll need a compatible player. Currently there are none available for either format. HD DVD will be launching later this year although players are likely to be around £1000 at first.

It is unknown yet. The high definition output from the HDMI output will probably prevent recording (you will be able to record onto the HDD of the High Def Digibox just like Sky+). The first few boxes will have component output - you may be able to record via these - assuming a high def recorder is released with component inputs.

But for the time being, as with 'normal' Sky, the best you can record from is RGB scart in standard definition.