Is there going to be a HDMI board for the Panny PW6?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Smurfin, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,386
    As per the title really, I notice that this is an option for the PW7 panny, does anyone know if there's plans to release a HDMI board for the 6 series?

Failing that, would the 7 series HDMI board work with the Pw6? (I guess it wouldn't?)

Cheers
    Matt

2. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey Smurfin, only DVI by the sounds of things.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    No, mate and no backwards compatibility. The DVI usually works at 720p though.

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,386
    There are several issues with PAL playback and the DVI board though, aren't there?:(

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Not at 720p, though they are moody critters, personally I'd avoid it. The analogue inputs are pretty good on the PW6, it's very hard to tell the difference. It's the 50Hz thing that concerns you though? There are a few specific DVD players that do work with the DVI card at 575p, too.

6. LCDRulz

LCDRulz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

the spec sheet the DVI interface (42tm6d)for the pw6 supports [email protected] but not [email protected] ??

The component input cards seem to cover everything though.

bfn

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    That is indeed the issue, I have my scaler working at 720p 60hz, but it's better at 50hz on analogue, for obvious reasons.

8. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The next question being: will all upcoming (almost here btw) HDTV stb's provide Component outputs?

Unfortunately, from what I understand the simple answer is: NO, not all of them. But most should provide Scart/Composite/S-Video for SD-only TV viewing (to connect to a plain ole classic TV), and DVI-D or HDMI for viewing HDTV on an HD-enabled (or at least, "DVI enabled") screen.

Now how will we deal with that if we plan to get a Pana PWDx plasma? The first HDTV channel up and running (Euro1080/HD1) is [email protected] (which apparently is not supported by the DVI board), and next year we should see HD channels broadcasting at [email protected]

Actually I'm hoping to read from Joe Fernand (who's been so helpful already to get some of these details ironed out) about this specific issue of 50Hz support on the PW7 via DVI option board...

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The currently available Euro1080i boxes have VGA, DVI and component, so no issues there. Sky we cannot say, but I'd fall off my chair if they only offer digital, as about 9/10 of their potential user base will not be able to use it. I think they'll run with the same box or very close as Eurotrash.

10. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW, like I said I'm referring to Cable TV decoders (in France), not Sat decoders. Not sure about the situation in the U.K... :confused:

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Cable is pretty limited in UK and they are all totally cash strapped. There will be no cable PVR's or Hi def for the forseeable future in UK, they simply can't afford it.