1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there anywhere cheap(er) to buy B&W speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by beem, Apr 25, 2005.

1. beem

beem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, just looking for any advise you guys might have. I haven't posted often but have based my choices so far on your collective audio musings...

I really want to find a pair of B&W 601 s3's in sorrento but can't seem to find any second hand so i think i might need to get a new pair. The list for these seems to be 250 quid, but is there anywher that sells them cheaper? or is it that they sell so well no one reduces them?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    B.

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    You will be hard pressed to find B&W at any price below the MRP, you could either look round for exdem or try to negotiate with the dealer.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Why should they be any cheaper? If you listened to them and don't feel they are worth the money then maybe you should be looking at cheaper speakers. Alternatively if you listened to them and are happy with the value for money then just buy them, they are great speakers for a pityfully small amount of money. I'm sure if you asked nicely your dealer would do you a deal on some better sepaker cable or interconnects.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I'm not sure about the remarks above re a pityfully small amount of money....yes,in overall terms,B&W offer very good value throughout their range,but I'm sure that most customers will still look for whatever discounts they can get.

I personally was happy with what I got from my local B&W dealer,who found it possible to add a bit of value to some bits I was trading in at the time.....as Crusty suggests,whilst you may not get a traditional discount(and a number of other brands,Linn in particular,operate that policy),you may well get some cables or I/c's thrown into the deal.

5. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I've seen this sort of thing said on this message board quite a lot and I have to say, I'm baffled by it.
    What's wrong with trying to find the best deal you can get? Waitrose sell things for about 10 or 20% more than Tesco do, so people shop at Tesco. It's not a question of what I value something at, it's a question of what the market will take, and if the competition is selling it for less, then good for them. It's called capitalism. I don't really trust the company that makes something to tell me how much they think their product should be worth, thanks very much.
    You know that DVDs have an RRP of somwhere between £20-£25 on new release don't you? I'll bet you only buy them from shops that sell them for their full price, right? No, you don't, because why spend more for the same product if you can get it cheaper.

This isn't having a direct go at you, mate. I can see your point of view, but I just don't think it's fair to say 'pay what they tell you to pay' just because they tell you to pay it, and there's nothing wrong with trying to find the best deal you can for yourself. :confused:

To the OP, try ebay. There's normally quite a few of them on there. Because of their relatively low price, though, they tend to sell for not much less than RRP, so it might be worth thinking about how much the full warranty you'll get from a dealer is worth to you. :smashin:

6. beem

beem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    bit of a can of worms there. anyway, i probably will buy from a dealer as someone pointed out, they go for almost rrp on e-bay anyway. I was just asking, not to open a thread on monopolies, capitalism or value but I thought someone might say 'go to www.xxxxxx, they're 20 quid cheaper'. Unfortunately it looks unlikely so I'll just have to pay the going rate i guess - being a jock, I find this an affront to all my better judgement.

Thanks for the replies a though.

B.

7. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    unilet sound and vision, in new malden
    the blue murder sale
    they should be able to help.

8. beem

beem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for the tip. I've put my name on the mailing list for the sale, but I'm guessing there won't be ny mail order or holding stuff during the sale so we'll see...

thanks again,
    B.

9. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I agree with crustyloafer - why should they be any cheaper? B&W put a lot of r&d into their speakers and manufacture decent quality drive units, unlike many other manufacturers(Mission/Wharfedale etc who buy cheap ones). If they weren't worth every penny of £249.95 B&W wouldn't price them at £250. If you don't think they're worth £250, buy some you think are, or if you don't want to spend £250 fullstop, spend £200.
    Many may be baffled by this, but this baffles many........

10. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    But as you have experienced, B&W pricing policy has a flow on effect to the resale value (should you ever try and sell).

11. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Take a look at the offerings of www.av123.com, both "Rockets" and Reference speakers are good value. Rocket 750's and 850's have been compared with N803/N804's, at a fraction of the cost.

Unfortunately it will prove difficult to demo a set, because few people have them in England. I was willing to take the gamble, and am very happy with what I got.. :thumbsup: :cool:

12. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Without wanting to restart another copy of the long thread on the front page of the forums.....

I am sure that B&W do put a lot of r&d into their speakers and that they use high quality parts. This should be reflected in the price that they charge to retailers. It should then be up to the retailer what price they want to charge to customer their customers- obviously the higher stock price will result in a higher sale price but the actual sale price would/should reflect the business model, target profit margin etc

13. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I'm not even going there again........

14. beem

beem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the unilet sound and vision tip off (inside job?). Bagged a pair of ex domo 601 s3s for 149 quid - though I have yet to see them and confirm the condition. Anyway at that price though they are WORTH 250 it represents good VALUE to a tight wad like me.

See, the best things come to those who wait, etc. etc.
    B.