Is there anything on my PC worth upgrading?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by blizeH, Apr 17, 2007.

1. blizeH

blizeH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Just thought I may as well at least attempt to make some use of Ebuyer's £10 off £30 offer (was tempted to order a whole new PC using it, if not purely to get rid of this bzzting sound my graphics makes, but figured I've got too many older games to complete before I go and buy the newer ones any time soon) so just want to know if there's anything that can inject a little bit of a life into this old thing:

Asus a7n8x-e Deluxe, AMD Barton 2500+, AGP Asus 6800, 1GB DDR Ram.

Is there anything in particular that I can change about my current PC that'll give a worthwhile performance boost? I've always assumed because it's Socket A, and AGP, and old school DDR that there's really nothing I can do, and I'm probably right, but I guess it's worth checking just in case.

2. alphaomega16

alphaomega16
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,761
    I think you are right there isnt really anything you can change to give enough of a boost to justify buying.

I would save for a new PC.

3. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Yeah, I agree with alphaomega16. I'm in the same position - just bought a new graphics card and PSU for mine but now wish I hadn't wasted my money, as the machine is clearly too old & creaky for them. :(

I suppose I've formed a bit of an attachment to the PC though, and I like fiddling around, installing new parts, so I gave it a go but the new parts didn't really change my 3dmark score or improve the speed of it. Sometimes it's better to get a new PC rather then throw good money at your old one.

4. alphaomega16

alphaomega16
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,761
    The thing is though 9/10 times if you want a new graphics card you need a new motherboard and chances are it wont fit the processor so you have to get one of them as well, then it wont be compatable with the memory so you will have to get more of that as well.

PC's kick arse but when it comes to that time its a real bitch to change some of hte components.

I think on average I upgrade every 4-5 years which is generally the period when my machine becomes incapable of playing a game I want to run.

I upgraded from
    Athlon XP 2400
    2GB Memory running lower than specified cause of motherboard restrictions :( (I think its supposed to be DDR200 but its running at 133)
    Geforce 4 Ti4200

and my current system is
    AMD64 3500
    Geforce 7800GTX 256MB Graphics (PCI-E)
    2GB DDR1 400mhz Dual Channel Memory

my dad got my old computer but it wont play things like SOF2 or Chaos Theory (Which needed SM3).

I really wish I needed to upgrade now cause I would get

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4ghz)
    2GB DDR2 800mhz Dual Channel Memory
    Geforce 8800GTS 320MB PCI-E

but dont see any point as current system plays all games without a problem :(

5. blizeH

blizeH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Cheers for the replies guys :) I think you're definitely right, there's nothing really worth upgrading in this machine anymore, I'm just going to wait 'til I've completed my current games and just go out and buy a PC similar to the one you want to upgrade to when the time's right and I want to play some newer stuff :)

6. Robert1986

Robert1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    You should try and upgrade so you can play games like Crysis or UT3. Getting a machine that is able to play those 2 would be a worthy purchase.