Is there anything better than an AV32R?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by bwana, May 7, 2007.

Tags:
  1. bwana

bwana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need to fix the resonances in my room. Trouble is, I do not have the DP version so I cannot use REQ to fix the interference in my room. Should I upgrade to the DP? (where and how?, I am in the US) or should I just get a Lexicon? (I think the MC-12 has the Room EQ. Or is there something better? I really like the warm sound the AV32R produces. It has a really low noise floor and even when turned up all the way, I cant hear a thing (if there is no source of course). I dont like the idea of tubes and fiddling necessary to 'get them right'. I also would rather not add an inferior box to the audio chain. Any ideas?

2. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    To be honest as you are on the other side of the pond you cannot seriously consider a DP upgrade:nono:

Its a good unit don't get me wrong but would you have any comeback if something went wrong

You would have the trouble of shipping etc and the hope that after spending all those dollars on a DP upgrade that everything would work perfectly for years

if i was in your shoes go for lexiicon or meridian as at least you have a usa dealer network

We have had problems with overheating etc and we can quite easily drive to IAG headquarters and drop the units off but you are so far away i think myself its a no brainer

3. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    I thought that IAG had just announced there were no more DP upgrade boards. Somebody was asking if we thought they would keep back some to honour repairs to existing DPs.

EDIT: Is he really allowed to call himself "Bwana", on a UK forum, in 2007?

4. bwana

bwana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Western misconception

The word Bwana was often used in Western cinema and books, notably in Tarzan stories, almost exclusively by subordinate Africans when addressing Caucasian men. The following is an example of the way the word "Bwana" was used in a Tarzan story:

"Do you know where your master has gone?" he asked the black.

"Yes, Bwana," replied the boy. "He has gone to the other camp beside the big afi that flows far toward the setting sun.

"Can you take me to him?" demanded Baynes.

The boy nodded affirmatively. Here, he saw a method of revenging himself upon his hated Bwana and at the same time of escaping the wrath of the Big Bwana whom all were positive would first follow after the northerly safari.

— "The Son of Tarzan" by Edgar Rice Burroughs, published 1915.

Because of this, audiences assumed that the word must have a meaning along the lines of "master", massa or "Great White Hunter" and that modern usage would be considered offensive or derogatory — this is untrue.

5. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Just you try telling that to the ranting leftie do-gooders who make my nieces parrot: "Baa baa woolly sheep, have you any wool?" I mean, at least we used to know which damned sheep we were referring to. Not any more, they are all ****ing woolly.

6. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Not unless they are "shaun".

7. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Baa baa shaun sheep? Are you kidding? The anti-Irish humour police would be apoplectic.

8. bwana

bwana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but getting back to the point, has anyone actually listened to a tag and compared the sound to another processor? I am looking for qualitative sound comparisons from people who know how to use the English language (which obviously this group is).

BTW: I am not a Moor. Nor does my heritage entitle me to 'bwana'. I just aspire to it.

9. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    I had mid-end Pioneer and mid-range NAD AV recievers which, being all in one pre/pro/amp you wouldn't expect to compare favourably; notwithstanding the price differential, and of course they didn't.

My AV32R SP EX+ bp 192 is so much better than anything else I have heard that even I, seldom at a loss for words, frankly was.

Ther's a word that I dislike: gobsmacked; I don't use it as a rule, yet it applied to my first AV32R experience.

Of course, I may just be easily pleased. ;)

EDIT: I would say though, that upgrading my speakers to Polk lc265i (F,C) and lc65i (S) made a big difference, too.

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Try to keep the discussion on topic,please.

On that subject,my only comparisons have been as follows....

AV32R Vs AV30R.....The 32R being vastly better.

AV32R Vs DP...the DP being as expected much better.

Other processors....older Lexicons,one of the Rotels(again a few yrs back) and several of the Denon and Pioneer top-of-range receivers.

Its not much help I know,but to my ears,and with the system I have,the DP TAG has been by far the best,but I do strongly agree with AMCross in that any service issues from across the pond would be very difficult indeed.

11. Welly123

Welly123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You should try the "Audyssey MultEQ XT Sound Correction Processor"... at least in the USA you will only be looking at $2500 rather than the £2500 over here. I have now completely turned-off my AV192R REQ and am now using solely the Audyssey, after playing around with the measurement positions, number of measurements, HF roll-offs, cross-overs etc. I am now happy that it is giving a better sound than the AV192R with REQ... of course this is subjective. I have seen at least one other report (on this forum) that the Audyssey is better than the AV192/32DP, I seem to remember the term "night and day" in favour of the Audyssey.... I wouldn't go that far but certainly delivers better performance to these ears.

Regards

12. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    How would you say the Rotel (was it a 1066?) compared to the AV32R? I'm particularly interested in music, but - and this will annoy the purists :D I enjoy PL2 immensely

13. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Well, I had a Rotel RSP-1068 (or four) and if I thought they were as good as the AV32R I'd be mighty sick, because I sold all four without even listening to them. :rolleyes:

14. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I'll be honest and say I cant remember exactly which model,as I'd tried quite a few before finding a TAG at the right sort of price.

Sonically....good,clear sound but just not as well separated and as good at steering multichannel sound as the TAG was.

15. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The av32dp is still one of the best multi-channel pre-pro's around afaik.

Having an automatic measuring system can be great fun, as I learned with my previous Pioneer AX10. A Denon however is no match for the av32dp. A Lexicon MC12 maybe. A good setup with a TacT I'm sure can beat the av32dp in perceived audio quality.

16. bwana

bwana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose another avenue would be to get the audissey MultiEQ XT box. Less than half the price of a lex HD12, although it doesnt have logic 7, I think the Room EQ is what I'm after. Dont really know what logic7 processing adds if the track is DD5.1 or DTS. 7.1 encoded tracks are rare.

17. willbrink

willbrink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the same boat you are. I have an AVR32r and the 100x5r amp which I love. However, I have moved the equpiment into a huge new room where the amp does not really have the juice to fill up and the room has resonence like crazy plus, I worry about service across the pond. I am considering trading it all in. One processor I am considering is the Anthem D2. I have not compared it to the AVR yet, but by all accounts, its a great machine at a great price. True high end sound? I dont know yet, but its worth a listen. They also make a huge 5 chan that does 500w into 4ohm and gets rave reviews. Again, need to listen to it, but it's an option. Might go back to a 3 channel + 2 channel amp set up, but I prefer one amp if possible. Take a look on the anthemav.com site for info. Feedback and opinions from other members would be helpful also.

18. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nothing wrong with PL2 - I use it all the time for music and love it!!

19. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
  20. willbrink

willbrink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Follow up. I purchased an Anthem p2 amp. Very happy with it so far. Will have to fill in the center and rears with something less pricy (im mostly a two channel guy but do enjoy my movies) like a Rotel three channel. My 100x5r just didnt have the juice for the big BnW 803ds I am running in a huge room they are playing in. I will probably sell the 100x5r amp along with the AVR32r and go with all Anthem electronics for processor and amp. I do love the Tag stuff, but the amp does not have the oomph I need and the support for the products are where you lot are, not here in the US if I ever had any problems, which i have not. Will probably put it up on the trade/sell section of this forum and see if anyone is interested. No Anthem equipment over there yet?