Question Is there any way to contact someone at LG who actually knows anything or can actually do anything?

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
I'm finding LG customer support a very frustrating experience. I suspect the people who answer emails don't even work for LG, they're just poor schmucks in a call centre somewhere following a script. Right now I'm trying to get them to understand that there's a bug with the audio EDID on my G6 (it tells devices that are connected to it that it can't understand DD+ audio when actually it can). But, despite several attempts, I haven't yet been able to get any customer service person to understand what EDID even is, let alone actually do anything about the problem.

Is there any way one can get hold of someone competent, or of someone who can actually record bugs with the TV and report them to someone who might be able to do something?

EDIT: Just so we're clear, I'm not posting this because I want forum-readers to help with my EDID issue; what I'm asking is, is there a way to contact someone at LG who knows what they're talking about? There are any number of other things I might want to ask them about besides this issue!

Last edited:

hakr

so, I suspect that they do work for LG, but that with LG being such a huge and diverse company, they are unlikely to have any expertise with regards to specific requests like this. I would suggest that if you believe the issue to be a software bug, you request them to forward the details to their korean hq, as that's where the firmware is developed and tested?

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
so, I suspect that they do work for LG, but that with LG being such a huge and diverse company, they are unlikely to have any expertise with regards to specific requests like this. I would suggest that if you believe the issue to be a software bug, you request them to forward the details to their korean hq, as that's where the firmware is developed and tested?
Nothing I've seen so far suggests they have the ability to do that.

SeeMoreDigital

Right now I'm trying to get them to understand that there's a bug with the audio EDID on my G6 (it tells devices that are connected to it that it can't understand DD+ audio when actually it can).
Hi @NicolasB,

How is the DD+ audio being fed to your TV. Is there a file you can upload?

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
You can use the DD+ test clips from here:
Hi @NicolasB,

How is the DD+ audio being fed to your TV. Is there a file you can upload?
I didn't really post this to get help with the issue; what I want to know is whether there is someone at LG who is contactable and who actually knows something about LG televisions.

But if you really want to look into it, you can use this test-clip:

MEGA

If I play this clip on my Nvidia Shield TV using the SPMC app, with audio set to pass-through, and I connect the Shield to my Lumagen video processor (which has a user-editable EDID), then the Shield outputs DD+ audio; and if the Lumagen is set to send that to the TV, then pressing "Info" on the TV remote confirms that the TV is receiving "Dolby Digital+"; and you can get sound out of the TV speakers, so it clearly recognises the signal and is able to decode it (or at least to extract the DD stream from it and decode that - I'm not sure which).

However, if I plug the Shield directly into the TV (playing the same video in the same app with the same settings) then the Shield refuses to output DD+ and instead drops down to PCM. (PCM stereo, I think).

Another symptom that I suspect is down to the same problem is that if I connect either my Shield TV or my Chromecast Ultra directly to the TV, neither one is capable of playing 5.1 audio in Netflix; but plugged into the Lumagen processor with user-defined EDID, the Shield offers 5.1 quite happily. (I haven't tried plugging the Chromecast into the Lumagen yet).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom