• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is there any such thing as 3.1 sound?

H

hogl

Because of construction work in my apartment, I am forced to live in a room in my parent's basement for a couple of months. My dad won't let me drill holes in the wall for rear speakers, which is kind of sad, since it is a great movie sound room, accoustic-wise.

The thing is, I'm really missing my center speaker for movies, since it just feels more natural with voices and all that coming out of the center channel. So my question is, is there any way to set up a receiver to only use the front 3 speakers (and sub, but that's sort of given), without losing the sound that goes to the rear channels?

My receiver, as of tomorrow (I hope :)) is an Onkyo tx-sr606, if that is any help.

H

hogl

Why don't you put the rears on stands?

First off, I don't really wanna spend money on it, I just burned a big hole in my bank account on my new receiver :)

And second, there's just not enough floor space, as it's a small room.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
You can set the amp up to run 3.1 no problem, but you're not going to get surround.
Could you not just stick the rears on the floor temporarily?
The cable could be taped down every couple of feet, so it doesn't cause a trip hazard.
Not the best looking, but it would work.

H

hogl

You can set the amp up to run 3.1 no problem, but you're not going to get surround.
Could you not just stick the rears on the floor temporarily?
The cable could be taped down every couple of feet, so it doesn't cause a trip hazard.
Not the best looking, but it would work.

The bed takes up one entire corner of the room, so unless I want to have a speaker in the corner of my bed, that's a no go.

I can live with out surround for now, it's mostly the center channel I'm missing. But it sounds like this won't be a problem.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Yes, on the original setup, the amp will ask what speakers you have and it sets the 3.1 mode up automatically, no worries :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom