Question Is there any speaker cables (silver?) can "clean" the fluffy/turbid bass?

@Tension255 , what are the dimensions of your room? Certain ratios can be problematic. An irregular shaped one is best. A square one could be amongst the worst. Given the position of the speakers well away from the back wall I don't think moving them will help. They're already in a decent position.

@Tension255 , what are the dimensions of your room? Certain ratios can be problematic. An irregular shaped one is best. A square one could be amongst the worst. Given the position of the speakers well away from the back wall I don't think moving them will help. They're already in a decent position.
Hi RaP,
The room is about 45 m^2 (5 x 9 m). The speakers are near a corner (> 50 cm away side wise, and >30 cm back wise from the wall). We sit 2.5 meters from the speakers. I used YPAO (room correction) that did not improve a lot. I think the problem is from my ear/brain, since my wife has no issue with male vocal. I think it might be because I listen a lot to monitors (JBL ls50, HS8) and bright headphones (HD800-s) .........

@larkone, so you don't agree that there is a serious mismatch in quality between the speakers and the amp? Do you not think that is the problem?

@Tension255, you should move the speakers closer together. That would get them further away from side walls. As a test just move them temporarily so they are a metre away from side and back walls. If the problem persists it's not a speaker position problem but one of amplification.

What does the KEF manual say regarding positioning. They sound like they are too far apart.

Whilst every room is different see if you can try with the listening distance about a ¼ longer than the space they are apart. If that helps then experiment with a little toe in and a lot of toe in. Also I’m not sure if these have rear ports but have you tried half blocking them?

Oh, forgot to mention that the speaker stands are 80 cm height, making the woofers at the same height as our ears. I just ordered a 50 cm ones, but not sure if they would arrive soon, as new lock down measures just announced last night...... ;-(

@larkone, so you don't agree that there is a serious mismatch in quality between the speakers and the amp? Do you not think that is the problem?

@Tension255, you should move the speakers closer together. That would get them further away from side walls. As a test just move them temporarily so they are a metre away from side and back walls. If the problem persists it's not a speaker position problem but one of amplification.

What does the KEF manual say regarding positioning. They sound like they are too far apart.
I felt great with the 2.5-2.5-2.5 triangle. When I close my eyes, I feel the entire music group is in front of me .... ;-) will give a try. KEF recommand something around >25 cm back, > 50 cm side in my memory.

Oh, forgot to mention that the speaker stands are 80 cm height, making the woofers at the same height as our ears. I just ordered a 50 cm ones, but not sure if they would arrive soon, as new lock down measures just announced last night...... ;-(

You can maybe test that by sitting on top of the sofa ;) Good thinking.

Whilst every room is different see if you can try with the listening distance about a ¼ longer than the space they are apart. If that helps then experiment with a little toe in and a lot of toe in. Also I’m not sure if these have rear ports but have you tried half blocking them?
Yes, I tried to block the ports both half and complete. This WORKS for me, much better but still with some residual boom left in male vocal

Try the spikes and if they don’t work try sorbothane (making sure big enough for speaker weight). Spikes couple to the floor, sorbothane insulates.
1608029292085.png

Found some BIG thing like this...... 80 euro 8 pieces.....

From someone who has been in stricter lockdown or Tier 3 for many months, you won't notice much if any difference with deliveries.

@Tension255 , instead of trying to tweak the sound with sorbothane feet just ring your dealer and ask if you can borrow a Rega Elicit-R or Naim XS3 amplifier for a few days. That will tell you straight away where the problem lies.

These feet are just making minor modifications. The fact remains your speakers are outclassing your amp.

@Tension255 , instead of trying to tweak the sound with sorbothane feet just ring your dealer and ask if you can borrow a Rega Elicit-R or Naim XS3 amplifier for a few days. That will tell you straight away where the problem lies.

These feet are just making minor modifications. The fact remains your speakers are outclassing your amp.
Thanks, I just made phone call to the seller. I will get a Arcam sa30 for a try. I was told kef do a lot of demo with Naim and Arcam, plus Arcam has a 9038 DAC, which I like..... a kind of brainless like.... though my original idea is play as much as possible with my current RN803, which however seems to be not gonna work out. All in all, I think the conclusion is that the RN803 cannot control the bass of r3 well enough. Let's see what the SA30 is made of!

@Tension255 , good move. Let us know how you get on. :thumbsup:. That’s a big step up in quality.

Just a quick update:
At the last moment, I decided to have a check with both Arcam s20 and Elex-r rather than going directly towards SA30. It turned out to be a wise decision. I have both of them at home and found elex-r a good match - driving the R3 in a "everything-seems-to-be-correct" way. The muffle in male vocal is totally gone. I will keep the elex-R, while still missing the sound from the YAMAHA rn-803D, which give a hall sound to the music. This also makes music sounds more real and with a bit better layered structure. The fatal issue is that 803 cannot handle the resonance of R3 as well as the elex-R.

If I'm right, it is something related to - at resonance frequency- low impedance - high current demanded suddenly - large electric force vs. resonance - put the cone back to its place ?

Does that mean, the RN803 should be combined with some "easy-to-drive" speakers, such as Focal aria 906 (8ohm with 4.6 minimum, 89.5dB/2.83V/m). While R3 needs much more control since it is 8 ohm with 3.1ohm minimum, even down to1.5ohm at 39Hz, with another dip to 2.2ohm at 226Hz. -referencing hifinews).

If I want to keep the RN803D for another setup, what would be the best speakers to feed her?

Last edited:
If I'm right, it is something related to - at resonance frequency- low impedance - high current demanded suddenly - large electric force vs. resonance - put the core back to its place ?
Essentially yes. The Regas have good power supplies that can adjust to changes very quickly without faltering that's why I recommended Rega in my earlier post knowing how well my Elicit-R and R300s fit together.

Back in the day I often used to swap cables, speaker wire etc.. to see what made a difference. Since I tried it, I've never used anything other than QED micro silver cable. Great sou ding wire with very punchy bass.. Mm

Just a quick update:
At the last moment, I decided to have a check with both Arcam s20 and Elex-r rather than going directly towards SA30. It turned out to be a wise decision. I have both of them at home and found elex-r a good match - driving the R3 in a "everything-seems-to-be-correct" way. The muffle in male vocal is totally gone. I will keep the elex-R, while still missing the sound from the YAMAHA rn-803D, which give a hall sound to the music. This also makes music sounds more real and with a bit better layered structure. The fatal issue is that 803 cannot handle the resonance of R3 as well as the elex-R.

If I'm right, it is something related to - at resonance frequency- low impedance - high current demanded suddenly - large electric force vs. resonance - put the cone back to its place ?

Does that mean, the RN803 should be combined with some "easy-to-drive" speakers, such as Focal aria 906 (8ohm with 4.6 minimum, 89.5dB/2.83V/m). While R3 needs much more control since it is 8 ohm with 3.1ohm minimum, even down to1.5ohm at 39Hz, with another dip to 2.2ohm at 226Hz. -referencing hifinews).

If I want to keep the RN803D for another setup, what would be the best speakers to feed her?
Speakers which is somewhere between 8-4 ohm. The sensitivity should not go under 88 db. A good match for the Yamaha amplifier. Dali for instance.

I recently went from the same Audioquest slip 14/4 to Chord Odyssey 2 sliver platted. I had the 14/4 together using it as single wired, making it around 11 gauge. I found the silver plated much better making the bass cleaner and more distinct, better note changes and also an improvement on mids and highs. Everything sounded brighter for my liking. I was always wondering and glad I changed. Silver RS8 speakers and Roksan K3 Amp

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom