Is there any point in upscaling with 480 PJ?

nwgarratt

I just got the fabulous BenQ W100 which is 854 x 480. I played some HD material from my PC through a Panasonic AE100 (prior to the BenQ) and it looked fantastic and noticeably better than SD material. I decided this was due to the higher resolution/bitrate and it is easy to downscale. I will do the same again with the BenQ after I get a VGA/DVI adapter.

I am now wondering what it will be like to play upscale SD DVD to 720p and then downscale it to 480p. Unfortunately, I can't borrow a upscale to try first.

I am currently using a Sony NS585 on component but may save up for a NS76 if it is worth it.

Would it be a waste of time and money as it is SD?

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
Upscaling an SD DVD picture and then downsclaing it again is not likely to offer any improvements inpicture quality at all.

That said, there is the possibility that if you use a very high qulaity scaling solution, I mean £1000+, then it might look a little bit better. I have yet to test this theory out. I might do that this afternoon in the shop with an In focus IN72 and an Arcam DV139.

Welwynnick

Distinguished Member
Compressed HD video always looks better than compressed SD video an SD display - but the stored / broadcast source HAS to be in HD in the first place.

Upscaling and then downscling SD video will probably make it worse. The only possible benefit could be if the de-interlacing in the source was better than the in the PJ. This is not impossible, but a bit of a long shot given the player and projetor you mention.

Nick

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello nwgarratt

If you were planning on doing the up-conversion in an external VP (Video Processor) then there can be some benefit in what your planning; not all of the benefits being to do with scaling mind!

If your planning to do the up-conversion in a relatively inexpensive DVD player then its likely you would be better sticking to the 'non scaled' output of the Player.

Best regards

Joe

nwgarratt

If your planning to do the up-conversion in a relatively inexpensive DVD player then its likely you would be better sticking to the 'non scaled' output of the Player.
That for the replies. A Video processor is not a option.

That is what I thought.

I have also been thinking whether it is worth getting another player.

I put my NS900 and my NS585 on at the same time (dual component inputs) and switched between them. The NS900 outputs interlaced and the NS585 outputs progressive. I saw a lot of difference with the AE100 as it doen't convert the 576i to 576p like the BenQ. With the BenQ there was no noticeable difference between the two.

If I got another player such as the NS76. I wonder if it will be better on component than what I have already. I would leave upscaling turned off. I have a feeling it won't be worth it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom