Is there any point getting an iPhone 3GS now?

iSneaky

Standard Member
I already have an iPod Touch 4th gen but I'm looking at getting an iPhone (not interested in Android and no decent WP7 phones) but I don't want to spend so much on an iPhone 4. Should I bother getting a 3GS now or will they seen be redundant, I can get one for £49 on a £25/m on Three, should I just wait for the 5 to come out and the 4 to drop?

dc8900

Distinguished Member
iSneaky said:
should I just wait for the 5 to come out and the 4 to drop?
I would do that but I remember Orange doing a £25 3GS contract (can't remember if it's free or not)

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
I'd wait until at least June when Apple announce the future for iOS (5) as there's bound to be new features exclusive to the iPhone 4 & 5 that you may want that aren't going to work on the 3GS.

bobbytoad

Quite simply - WAIT, you can thein either decide on a discounted 4 or a 5.
The 3gs is still sound but you certainly wont get 2 years use out of it, in terms of capability/features or build quality!

dc8900

Distinguished Member
bobbytoad said:
The 3gs is still sound but you certainly wont get 2 years use out of it, in terms of capability/features or build quality!
I disagree but on the count that you can't get 2 years use out of it. Yes by 2013 it will awfully outdated but it will still be useful. I gave my 3G to my older sister after her Nokia 7250 finally died last winter while my younger sister is happy with my old 2G and that is from 2008!

But yeah, wait if you can

Pistol1

If you could pick up a cheap second-hand one it'd be OK, but I wouldn't get one on a contract. By the time the contract's up you'll have suffered so much iPhone 6 envy your face will be purple, and Apple will have stopped supporting your 3GS most likely.

iSneaky

Standard Member
Thanks guys. Might be able to get my sisters as she has to cancel her contract because of lack of signal at her new house. If not going to get a 4/5 in the future.

Professor Chaos

the 3GS is still a great phone. No point getting on contract now. Just find one second hand for around £200 - £250. I think some iOS 5 features wont be available on it, but the phone should still be good for at least another year.

mozza54

From what Ive heard the new iphones going to be dalayed till later this year possibly next year so if your wanting the top of the line one its the iphone 4 at the mo. Ive just got a 3gs last week, my contracts £15 on Vodafone so for that price Im not complaining and so far the phone does everything I want in terms of apps, music and video so no complaints so far.

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
mozza54 said:
From what Ive heard the new iphones going to be dalayed till later this year possibly next year so if your wanting the top of the line one its the iphone 4 at the mo. Ive just got a 3gs last week, my contracts £15 on Vodafone so for that price Im not complaining and so far the phone does everything I want in terms of apps, music and video so no complaints so far.
The latest word from China is that production of iPhone 5 is set to start in July ready for a September launch.

SteveU30

Distinguished Member

haddock26

Standard Member
the 3GS is still a great phone. No point getting on contract now. Just find one second hand for around £200 - £250. I think some iOS 5 features wont be available on it, but the phone should still be good for at least another year.

Agreed.

Ive just bought an iphone3gs for £210.
a) because im a scaredy cat about the iP4's signal-gate so its a lot of money to gamble on (i know chances could be low, but it'll be just my luck!) plus i just had my £300 3GS robbed so cant afford an iP4 even if i wanted to :(
...and b) im hoping the iP5 is out in time to be given to me as an xmas present! (or a belated one?):rolleyes:

dc8900

Distinguished Member
That's the problem with rumours on the net, it's who to believe. One thing's for sure though, we'll see iOS 5 before the iPhone 5.
and that was indeed the case with today's announcement, I am now thinking we won't see a September release, perhaps an announcement then (if even that)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom