1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there any point buying a big screen tv now?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Rob20, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    It seems to me that technology is moving at such a rapid pace at the moment, that people like myself are being caught out with tvs that will be redundant in just 2 years or so. Personally I'd advise anyone thinking of buying a big screen tv to put their money away and sit tight for a while. Stick with your current crt set. It probably gives you a better PQ over lcd/plamsa anyway. A few months back I bought what was a new model lcd, (Toshiba's 26" 46WL). A week after buying the set it was announced that the same model of tv was to have hdmi added. Now this annoyed me, but what really annoyed me was that when it arrived a 32" model could now be bought for the same price as my 26". In the space of a couple of months, and assuming mine was a new model. How can this be. Does Toshiba not care about pissing off it's customers. Imagine if Man U replaced their shirt 2 months into a season. There'd be a huge outcry. Now to top it all off, I find out that due to the lack of hdmi I will be unable to receive Sky's hi-def service. Anyway, rant over. :rolleyes:

So I suggest people avoid buying a large screen tv until these specs have been reached:

1920 by 1080p minimum spec.
    3/4 HDMI (HDCP) inputs for Blu-Ray/Sky/Console (PS3/XBox Next/Revolution)
    42" less than £2,000.

Well, I won't be buying a new set till the above has been met. Though for people who are loaded, the last one probably doesn't matter. :laugh:

2. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Rob, I agree. I bought my 32WL46 as a "newly" released model and three weeks later the 48 model came out with HDMI....Like you I was very pee'd off.

That said, I will continue to enjoy my set until at least 2006, as by then there will probably be another new connection issue and Sky will have changed their minds yet again. :mad:

3. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    You could say though that if you wait you'll always be waiting as there's always something new round the corner.

Don't forget too, SED TV's will be out in 2005 and you never know, they might just be the perfect flat panel displays everyone has been waiting for.

4. hechizero

hechizero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do not think the man on the street is looking for perfection, just a nice looking set with a good picture. These new LCD sets look great but LCD has not met this simple criteria of a good picture via normal broadcast. Until this happens do not buy an LCD TV unless you are a videophile who will use it primarily for DVD.

Having looked at the Sharp and Toshiba 32" ranges, both are great sets with great features, but normal TV looks poor on both, and it is very annoying and tiring to watch TV for hours when the picture is so bad.

Also your point about resolution is also valid. For a standard LCD TV the resolution of 1366x768 is not enough. On my PC 17" LCD the resolution of 1280x1024 looks great. So once LCD TV's reach higher resolutions many of these picture aberrations should be diminished. Of course "when" Sky do high definition, my complaint will be put to rest, but that is at least another couple of years away...so wait till then. :smoke:

5. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    SED is another reason to sit tight. Now if lcd's and plamas offered a better PQ than current crt sets there'd be sufficient reason to buy one. But what's the point buying a set that isn't as good as crt sets, and will be incompatible with hi-def broadcasts in 2006. Perhaps if people were just to avoid any set without hdmi. Still think 1920 by 1080 is worth waiting for. To expect people to splash out a few thousnad quid every 2 years or so is unreasonable. I've had my fingers burn't once. I'll wait til I need a new tv, rather than want the latest technology.

6. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Rob20

:boring: You keep waiting mate...In the meanwhile many of us on this forum would've have enjoyed the pleasures of either "Big Screen" LCD's or Plasma's technology & specs (as they exist at the moment) for at least 2 yrs before you are able to attain the above. Even more so at the price point you're expecting :laugh:

Life is too short !! Take you wallet out, find yourself a bargain & enjoy what exists now :)

Del :smoke:

7. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't agree that 1366x768 is not enough, this is plenty for normal TV viewing distance. Based on a definition I read of 20/20 vision, you'd need to be closer than 1.8m to a 32" screen for your eyes to be able to resolve the pixel spacing (0.5mm). The problem is that the source is much lower resolution (480 lines for Sky) and there's only so much you can do without improving the source (scalers & such-like). Signal quality makes a big difference too - not just the source, but also the cabling between the source and your screen. I watch Sky on a Tosh 32WL48 with a good SCART cable from a distance of 2m and have no problems with the picture from the main channels. :D

IMHO the latest model LCDs are already good enough for watching TV, and things can only get better with HDTV (if your set can take it). The thought that something better will be available soon for less money will still exist in 1 year, 2 years, etc......

8. aspender

aspender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just linked up my laptop to my LC-32GA4E via DVI for the first time and viewed some 720p WMV-HD trailers I'd have to agree - awesome!!

Has spurred me to purchase Underworld HD edition from http://www.high-def.de - Kate Bekinsale will never have looked so good!

9. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    I suppose I'm just a bit peeved that my hi-def tv might not be compatible with future hi-def sources. Already Sky's 2006 service is out of the question, perhaps Blu-Ray next. :(

10. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Depends if you can get a CRT that isn't flawed in some major way. My PD30 was absymal.

So now I have a 32" GA4 LCD. NOt huge but certainly the same viewing experience as the 36" CRT I had given the relative similarity in visible screen size.

In DVI for DVD at 720P it is awesome, absolutely superb. No way I'd throw away two years to miss that.

The acid test for me is watching shows like the West Wing on E4. On a CRT I've always found that show to have an awful smeary soft quality. No problems with LCD though. Sharp (sic) as a knife.

I'd agree that it's worth RESEARCHING your purchase. How many people will need to sell their Panasonic plasmas to deal with HD.

I might have to sell my Sharp if Sky don't live up to their promise. Then again at £1200 for this sort of enjoyment for two years it's really a no brainer.

11. andrew markwort

andrew markwort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Not sure about the precise specifications you set out, but I agree with the general principle of not buying into thin screens unless you have to.

We bought a 27" LCD but that was simply because our CRT had gone phut and we needed a new set. Otherwise, I'd have bided my time; there is too much change and dropping of prices for it to be a sensible time to buy, unless you can afford to splurge a couple of grand on a set that's going to be horribly over-priced and under spec'd in a year's time. We'll keep the 27" set as an interim measure (and in fairness, it's v. good) and then in a couple of years time once prices have settled, connections are sorted, etc, we'll get a bigger set and I'll have the biggest computer monitor I've ever had. :)

12. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    I've noticed recently thet Panasonics 26" lcd set that was getting such favourable reviews just 4 months ago and was £1,650 online, can now be bought for just £950ish. People who bought this set would've saved £700 just by waiting 4 months! This is why I'm happy to wait. The way prices are falling I'll have my 42" flat screen tv with 1920/1080p for £2,000 sooner than people think.

13. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think you should be OK for Sky HD services with your set, shouldn't you? The DVI is HDCP compliant.

James

14. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yes, seems that way.

But £1200 for the type of enjoyment it's giving me is a small price to pay.

15. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    But this isn't a phenomena of LCD & plasma sets. Back in about February time I bought a JVC HV32P37 from Comet on-line for a shade under £1k - and they weren't the cheapest, I just ordered from them because I could specify the delivery day and claimed the difference to the cheapest 'net supplier back on Barclaycard Price promise.

Last time I looked the price for this set had dropped a couple of hundred quid to the point where I was seriously considering buying another one, even after my bad experiences of quality control with the last one I had.

In the end though I bought a Toshiba 28" for £225 and decided to wait a year or so to see what was on the market.

16. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is never a "right time" to invest in new technology - whether it be TVs, DVD players or computers. You have to research the topic (on here plus a few mags) - then take a leap of faith. Sky's much anticipated HD launch is likely to come at quite a premium (look at how much they charge for Sky+ just for the privilege of having the box, on top of your subscription!). As regards 1920x1080 panels - these are going to take at least couple of years, possibly considerably longer, to come down a)in size and b)in price. Add to this the limited movies/programmes that will be available to take full advantage of them. As it stands most current models offer a chance to view DVDs and TV at an extremely high quality.

17. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    People are correct when they say "there is never a right time to buy". However, the reverse of that argument is that there is also a "wrong time to buy" and with the market in the state of flux it is in a the moment, I would say that the "wait and see for a bit longer" policy is the most sensible one at present. Even the CEO at Sharp stated in an interview that they can hardly keep up with the ever changing advances in LCD technology. They have no sooner brought out a model than there competitors trump it with something newer and better, so they then have to supersede their current model with another, along with a lower price point.

18. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Whilst on the subject of screen sizes, what is the rule of thumb when looking at the screen size of a widescreen CRT versus a widescreen LCD or Plasma. As an example, is the visible screen area of a 32" Panasonic CRT the same as the visible screen area of a 32" Panasonic LCD?

19. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rule of thumb generally is - LCD picture is the size quoted and CRT is approx 2 inches smaller than size quoted (referring to tube size).

20. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Perfect example of waiting for the 'Next Technology'. When SED is getting cheaper, there will something else on the horizon that is 'Worth holding out for'. SED will only emerge onto the scene next year and if the panels sell for around 10k say then who will buy it ? Even Tosh themselves are saying the prices will be high to begin with meaning that it will take a further 2-3 years for the price to drop to normal Joe Bloggs levels. In the mean time, those who have recently bought an LCD or Plasma have had their set for about 3-4 years. Just about time to upgrade then.

Richie.

21. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    But I read that SED has the potential to be far cheaper to manufacture than Plasma or LCD panels. The % of large lcds that don't make it past quality control could be as high as 40%. SED's could well have a far better contrast and brightnesss/colour than current flat panels, and the pixel cells are also very small making 1920/1080 resolutions easy.

22. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Are you serious about the above quote or is that a tongue in cheek remark. I look to buy for a lifespan of around fifteen years for a t.v. or indeed for most of the AV kit that I purchase. I bought everything on block around eighteen years ago and have only just recently replaced the majority of it. I think the only thing left is my Technics Hi Fi separates system which has performed flawlessly since new and shows no signs of deterioration at present. Certainly were I to purchase a large flat panel monitor, this is the minimum time scale I would be looking at before considering something else. This is why I do my homework before purchasing and why I choose a time to buy with great care.

23. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Faust - if you read around some of the forums here, some people seem to change their plasma's or LCD's every 6 months.

Wish I had that kind of money to throw around, but sadly Im in the same boat as you in needing my TV's to last a good long while.

24. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    So, Faust, I have to agree with you that very careful research has to be undergone whilst considering the purchase of any major item, but also have to agree with Richie that with the continuing and seemingly endless advance in all things 'High Tech' leaving the purchase of new items for periods of fifteen years is liable to leave you spending the best part of a decade somewhat in the Dark Ages, technologically speaking.

There is nothing wrong in that, however, if that suits you, but some of us like to stay nearer the top of the techno mountain so best to enjoy the view!

Jimmy

25. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    To be honest, money does not really come into with me in that respect as I could probably put one in ever room in the house if I wished. However, I do like to get value for money and what I hate most of all is waste. I work on the principal that if something is in perfect working order then why go and buy something else to replace it with. I suppose in the generation I grew up in we had to mend and make do and get value for money. I think the only exceptions I make to this rule is for cars and computers. I use both in conjunction with my work, in the case of the car covering some twenty thousand miles a year, so for me I have to have something that will start first time every time and not let me down. Whilst on my soap box I would say this - I think todays generation "know the price of everything and the value of nothing". Sermon over - Carry on my children.

26. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes, there are going to be some folks who buy 'The New Thing' just because it is.

Most of us, however, like to track new and improved technologies and make carefully researched purchases from time to time in an effort to make the best of current advances.

I have just replaced my old television a couple of weeks ago. It was one of the very first Widescreen Sonys and was purchased just over 8 years ago. It was in perfect working order, I only replaced it because I feel that now LCD televisions are finally at a state where it is safe to buy a TV that not only outperforms my old one, but will continue to improve with the introduction of HiDef broadcasts.

I expect, as mentioned on a previous entry, that in 3 - 5 years advancements may be great enough to warrant an upgrade. But only if it is warranted,

If this does happen, then like a lot of other people, we will 'shuffle' our TV's...This one to the bedroom, the old bedroom one to the spare room (or Granny) etc...

Common Sense.

Jimmy

27. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Well I would be amazed if a new LCD could out perform a Sony CRT even an eight years young one. My brother in law has recently purchased an LCD, the latest Sony which is getting rave reviews. However, he freely admits that his SIX years young Sony widescreen CRT which is now in another room in his house wins on PQ hands down every time. He said to me only this weekend, if you buy one then be honest and admit that it's just another must have big boys toy, but don't try to convince yourself that it is better in terms of PQ than the one it has just replaced.

28. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Faust - You mentioned that you could, if desired, put a set in every room, but your last kit lasted you eighteen years? The only deduction I make from that, is you really don't place any great value on your TV/Movie time at home. I figure that at todays prices, I could set up a decent home cinema for about £3k tops. Over 15 years that's £200 a year/£17 per month. I'm personally willing to spend much more than that on 'family viewing pleasure'. After all, it costs me over £100 just to get my bins emptied each week ;) But each to their own I guess :thumbsup:

I think that maybe, just maybe, you're on the wrong forum?! I'd agree with jimsan on the following 'Most of us, however, like to track new and improved technologies and make carefully researched purchases from time to time in an effort to make the best of current advances.' Spot on. Just because we update our kit more regularly, doesn't mean that we haven't seen value for money - which of course is subjective.

BTW - If I was sat here now watching a 15 year old set - I would not be a happy camper! :suicide: ;)

Just my opinion of course, as ever :D

29. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Faust,

This is one of these subjective situations where no one is right or wrong.

If your brother in law finds that his new Sony is being outperformed by his old Sony then more the fool him for purchasing the new one.

LCD's can look awful if they are not properly set up, but I cannot say that his is or isn't....

All I can say is that, after exhaustive research, I purchased a Philips 32PF9986 and can honostly say that it knocks spots off my old set. Having said that, it is not easy to get these LCD things to really perform.

But perform they really can. Progressive Scan DVD through Component/DVI adapter, activate the PixelPlus2 and gasp at what you see! No 8 (or 6) year old CRT stands a chance. Then, in two years time (alledgedly) HiDef broadcasts become available and these LCD's will really start to sing.

Perhaps your brother in law can extract a better picture from his? Get his connection details from him and let's see if it can be improved...

Jimmy

30. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Yes but lets be honest with ourselves here. It's a manufacturers mission in life to try to persuade us all that the latest bit of kit to hit the market is a "must have or your life will not be complete without it item". Now there are quite a few sheep who are easily persuaded and will gladly follow that line - I am not one of them. I think to myself that a hot meal and a place to call home for the poor little girl I saw eking out a living sifting through rubbish on a tip in South America on t.v. recently are must have items. We sit here in our nice comfy world discussing or sometimes bemoaning the fact that we can't afford the latest flat panel t.v. or new P.C. and I think to myself how superficial we really are. So perhaps the next time you're breaking down the cost of a fifteen year old t.v. you could always say - there is nothing wrong with my present t.v. and count your blessings that you can actually afford one. That's my slant on life for what it's worth.