1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there any difference in audio terms between an AV192R and a dual-SHARC AV32R?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by NicolasB, May 12, 2003.

1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Or does the AV192R just add video functions?

2. bamber

bamber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They both sound identical. I had the XLR balanced AV192R and compared it to the dual sharc AV32R.

I didn't really need the video features so have upgraded to a Bryston SP1.7.

3. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Upgraded from an AV192R to an SP1.7? Ooh, miaouw! :)

I'd be interested to hear why you think the SP1.7 does a better job than a dual-SHARC Tag, as I'm considering buying an SP1.7 myself, and am wondering if I ought to audition the latest version of the Tag first. (Haven't much cared for earlier versions, but apparently the dual SHARCs make a big difference).

4. bamber

bamber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right upgraded is probably the wrong word :) . The AV192 sounds pretty good and was a vast improvement over my previous receiver.

My SP1.7 arrived with Lintone on Thursday but they didn't want to ship it over the weekend.

So I will do a comparision tomorrow when it arrives and let you know.

I just didn't think the Tag was transparent in bypass mode. I think it adds a brightness to the music.

A number of SP1.7 users have told me how transparent it is in bypass mode.

The user base is also growing with Mi Casa Studios Los Angeles post production facility using three SP1.7s to test the Lord Of The Rings, The Twin Tower DVD mixes.

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    SP1.7's analogue bypass is certainly extremely good - better than that of any other processor I've listened to. I await your head-to-head comparison with much interest.

6. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Please could you check the software version Bryston are shipping to U.K.
    Latest version 43D apparently resolves a unity gain issue according to a thread on AVS.
    Also let us know how you feel about volume control clicks, pops and buzzes, and the general noisefloor through your speakers, is it near silent or is there hissy 60hz hum ?
    My reason for asking is that having investigated other pre-pro / amplifier combos during last year or more, my preference is Bryston, so I'm curious how you get on. Thanks :)

7. bamber

bamber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope I do get the latest version. It took 8 weeks for the amps to arrive and the final factory check date was a week before I received them. The processor has only taken a week to arrive with Lintone so could have been a PMC stock model.

Will let you know on Wednesday.

8. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks gazza.

9. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    NicholasB
    Nicholas,
    I think you have considered buying every processor going!! :D
    I wonder if considering will one day turn to buying!!:laugh:

I'll never forget the look on the guys face at Cornflakes, after you had demo'd the whole shop!!! :laugh: :laugh:

10. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    How were you in a position to be seeing the face of a Cornflake employee immediately after I'd finished a demo? Are you following me around invisibly? :eek:

Oddly enough, I think I may finally be in the end-phase. I'm confident that I will be ordering something within the next couple of weeks.

Mind you, I've been confident about that before. :(

11. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Apparently, Theta will be releasing the Casanova II shortly.....could be worth waiting for....

12. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    NicolasB
    Hmmm, somehow me thinks you maybe using your 50/50, or even phoning a friend!! :laugh: :laugh:

So whats the flavour of the moment?

13. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    GO AWAY, YOU'RE NOT HELPING!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Just kidding. ;)

Is there actually a reliable source for that rumour, or is it just speculation?

I want to check out the dual-SHARC Tag. If I don't like it much more than I like earlier Tags then it will probably be an SP1.7; although I might still be tempted by an MC-8. I may also still be distracted by the possiblity of getting something second hand and cheap, as cash-flow is a bit restricted. But I think the SP1.7 is probably the front runner for the moment. (Want an MC12B, really, but one has to be realistic about these things).

14. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Apparently Theta were waiting for the format for DVD-A etc to be sorted out. I was told (by my hifi dealer) that last month there was some type of agreement. Now that they know what is happening, Theta will be working on the Casanova II. It is meant to be around the same as the Casanova in cost.

As far as I know they will definitely be releasing the II - they have already done so with the Casablanca. Let me know if you manage to find any more info out....

Sorry to put a potential spanner in the works!!

15. codling

codling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    i'm going to be ordering the sp1.7 from lintone also.
    i think i'll specify that i want the latest 43d version,even if i have to wait a month or so.

look forward to your comparison with it and the tag

carl:)

16. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    The last time I did any serious ringing around for prices on Bryston equipment, there were two shops that were noticeably cheaper than all the others. Lintone Audio (Gateshead) was one, the other was The Hifi Hut in Harrogate - might be worth checking their prices too.

Edit: Incidentally, SP1.7 software updates shouldn't require the unit to go back to the factory, or even to the shop, it's a little plug-in EPROM chip which (I was told by a Bryston tech support guy once) they "often trust customers to replace themselves".

17. GreenEagle

GreenEagle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    NicolaB,
    Do you havea website address for Lintone Audio and Hifi Hut please.

Tried www.lintone.co.uk but they don't list any bryston gear.

18. bamber

bamber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My SP1.7 has just arrived. I am in work so can't test it. Unfortunately when I switch it on the software version is V41.0 and the dsp is v2.1.

I will email James Tanner requesting the latest software update.

19. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    That's the right webpage for Lintone Audio, you'll have to ring them up and ask. :)

Hifi Hut is, I think, on the web here.

20. bamber

bamber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got a reply from James Tanner. Version 44 of the OS is out in two weeks which he is happy to send.

The date of manufacture on the SP1.7 is 03/02 and the warranty starts from this date.

I am not happy with this and have asked Lintone to replace it with an up to date unit.

21. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I take it that's February this year and not March last?

22. bamber

bamber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it is March 2002 and the serial number is quite low.

23. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Was the SP1.7 available in March 2002? I thought it only came out at the end of last year. I'd surprised if it is that old. Remember that Bryston is a Canadian company so the date format may well be yy/mm.

Check with your dealer for peace of mind. I'd feel robbed too if I only had 19 years' warranty left ;)

D.

24. bamber

bamber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is American format February 2003.

25. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    gazza982,
    You have the same version of software as I do and manufactured in the same month as mine.
    Bryston tend to build their processors in small batches as testing is quite intense, hence the 20yr warranty!!

The software will be with you before you know it, so go on and enjoy your new toy!!!!! :smashin: :smashin:

Geeza

26. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    gazza,
    Thank you for posting.
    Americans / Canadians typically use month / day / year rather than U.K. day / month / year as we are all aware, I've never known 03 /02 to mean anything other than March 2002 .
    Was it James Tanner who confirmed build date or Lintone ?
    Bryston's first newsletter reference to SP1.7 was May 2002 as far as I know.
    My feelings are mixed, on one hand if it works OK I would keep it and update to OS Version 44, V2.1 DSP , but I would be happier if warranty started when I bought it . On the other hand I would prefer to check with James Tanner whether it was manufactured this year or last, if it was last year then I would ask Lintone to replace it too. :cool:

27. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Bryston boy's

I just want an honest opinion of the performance/operation of the thing, it is unlikely that i will get the chance to hear this for the immediate forseeable future.

Steve.

28. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    03/02 means Feb 2003, that is without a shadow of a doubt!
    Americans and Canadians always put the year before the month.

gazza if you really are bothered then you should return it and wait for the next batch. I waited over 2 months for mine!!

The thing is, if Bryston still have some units that were manufactured in Feb left, then you may have to wait until all these units are sold.
    Send James an e-mail to find out.

29. bamber

bamber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    James Tanner has confirmed the build date of February 2003. He replied to three emails within minutes now thats what I call service. As yet Lintone have not replied to my email sent to them yesterday lunchtime.

I have had some problems with the SP1.7. After connecting it up and switching to the DVD coax digital input, I got sound for about 20 seconds then it just went silent. All the leds and the lcd panel were still on but no output. I tried switching to TV/SAT and CD but nothing. I checked the fuses, it has one for the analog and one for the digital circuits. A fuse had blown so I replaced it and I got output from the DVD digital input again. However after about 2 minutes it blew again.

I replaced the fuse again but this time moved the DVD Digital interconnect to the Aux input. It played without a hitch for over 15 minutes so I decided to try the DVD input again.

I powered off the unit at the back switched the interconnect to the DVD input and turned it back on. The led stayed red which indicates it is in digital auto detected mode. It should switch to green when a digital source is present but this didn't happen.

I decided to give up on the DVD input and configure the SP1.7 to do my comparision.

gringotts, my SP1.7 does have the popping noise when adjusting the volume. It happens every time and is quite loud. I can also hear a hum when I am about a foot away from the front speakers. I don't appear to have the buzzing sound from within the processor which others have reported.

I would have been happy to keep this unit and wait for the OS update. The DVD input and popping problems have changed my mind and I will ask for a replacement unit. This should be a good test for Brystons customer service.

Comparison with Tag AV192 in next post.

30. bamber

bamber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMHO

The Tag AV192 is by far the better looking processor. Its display is easy to read from 10' away. I can't read the SP1.7's panel from 5' which is a problem if you switch modes alot.

Setup is easy on both processors again the Tag has the better UI and a lot more options. Using a SPL Meter I had to set the centre channel +5db on Bryston which wasn't the case on the Tag. The bryston remote is better but the backlight didn't help to find buttons in the dark. It also only worked about 4' away which is probably due to low batteries. I used a Pronto Pro and was able to transmit from about 12' away.

I tried the Bryston with the LOTR FOTR dvd then switched to the Tag. First on the scene were Gandalf arrives in the Shire in the cart with Frodo. I thought that this is a good scene as Gandalf mubbles quite a bit. The SP1.7 does a good job here particularly in revealing the lower detail which you really have listen carefully to hear with the Tag. The Tag has the upperhand when the fireworks go off and whiz around the room. The pattern continues in the Mines of Moria were the Tag is in its glory steering sounds around the room expecially in fight scenes. The Bryston seems to focus on the front channels with effects panning seamlessly across them but doesn't appear to use the rears to the same extent as the Tag.

So in movies it depends what your after crystal clear dialogue or amazing effects. They are both excellant in all areas but these are the areas were I think they excel.

Next I tried music in bypass mode I won't tell you the tracks I tested as you will only laugh:laugh: .

First the SP1.7 is transparent as I thought it would be and mates well with the B&Ws. It seems to take the bright edge from them letting the detail come through. The AV192 is brighter and tends to favor highs and mids at the expense of the lower octaves. The difference is apparent right away and comes down to personal tastes.

Summary:

Movies:

If you prefer action/sci-fi genres with lots of effects then I would choose the Tag. For dialogue and big music scores the Bryston would be my choice.

In terms of the Analog Bypass the Bryston is the one to go for.

I will give a more detailed comparison when I've had time to play with it.