Is there any bandwagon Labour won't jump on?

• Thread starter Deleted member 13294
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13294

BBC News - England set for more World Cup hurt, Whitehall predicts
There is a "high probability" that the England team will not progress to the later stages of this summer's World Cup, a government document says.

The statement comes in a study of the possible impact of keeping pubs open late at night for games during the tournament, taking place in Brazil.

Labour said this indicated "what the government think" of England's chances.

The coalition said its calculations were not an "opinion" but were based on odds on the gambling website Betfair.

I know it is the job of the opposition to hold the government to account, but this is pretty absurd.

The projection is from the civil service, it is not a political statement in any way shape or form.

It is no surprise that the tories have recently overtaken Labour in the polls. Guess it isn't just me that is tired of their opportunism to try and make political capital out of absolutely everything.

Given that England haven't progressed past the quarter finals since 1990 I think that assessment was very optimistic... :laugh:

Given that England haven't progressed past the quarter finals since 1990 I think that assessment was very optimistic... :laugh:

I think we may get further than people think. :smashin:

But I just fail to see why Labour are trying to use this to bash the government. It beggars belief.

I couldn't agree more (although regarding your second point, I have no opinion on the current state of the England Team :))

Last edited:
Agree about the stupid immature politics.

Although, being pedantic about the thread title, unless they're copying others doing this exact same thing, this is not jumping on a bandwagon.

Didn't Squiffys favourite party make a big deal out of England's WC fiasco in 2010? I don't think undermining the opportunity for landlords in the current difficult climate for pubs to make extra cash, is 'jumping on a bandwagon'.

Besides, as Harold Wilson admitted, football is more serious than elections... ;)

Didn't Squiffys favourite party make a big deal out of England's WC fiasco in 2010? I don't think undermining the opportunity for landlords in the current difficult climate for pubs to make extra cash, is 'jumping on a bandwagon'.

Besides, as Harold Wilson admitted, football is more serious than elections... ;)

I don't have a favourite party. There is one that has more policies I support, but in previous elections I have voted just as many times for other parties. So which is my "favourite"???

Interested to hear what my favourite parties did in the last WC bearing in mind they were both in power at the time. What did they do???

As long as the donkey is wearing a red rosette, anything it does can be justified....

Well, it appears the government are being just as bad.

BBC News - Labour MP Austin Mitchell defends Pfizer 'rapist' tweet

Veteran Labour MP Austin Mitchell has refused to apologise for comparing Pfizer's proposed takeover of AstraZeneca to rape.

The Great Grimsby MP took to Twitter to write: "Cameron dare not stop Pfizer because he dare not offend the US in any way. Roll up rapists."

Women's Minister Nicky Morgan described the tweet as "deeply offensive".

It's a poor choice of word, but rape is used in this sort of context so I don't think he has anything to apologise for, and I don't think the minister for women needs to get involved.

I think she may have been over offended, but it was still a ******** sort of comment to make. But in the context of the thread, let's call it a draw...

Well, it appears the government are being just as bad.

BBC News - Labour MP Austin Mitchell defends Pfizer 'rapist' tweet

Veteran Labour MP Austin Mitchell has refused to apologise for comparing Pfizer's proposed takeover of AstraZeneca to rape.

The Great Grimsby MP took to Twitter to write: "Cameron dare not stop Pfizer because he dare not offend the US in any way. Roll up rapists."

Women's Minister Nicky Morgan described the tweet as "deeply offensive".

It's a poor choice of word, but rape is used in this sort of context so I don't think he has anything to apologise for, and I don't think the minister for women needs to get involved.

I think she may have been over offended, but it was still a ******** sort of comment to make. But in the context of the thread, let's call it a draw...

He wasn't comparing it to rape - allowing the deal to go ahead would be a literal rape, using a perfectly suitable use of the verb.

Unless the PC Brigade ( can't believe I just typed that) are now saying the verb "rape" can now only ever refer to the sexual kind.

He wasn't comparing it to rape - allowing the deal to go ahead would be a literal rape, using a perfectly suitable use of the verb.

Unless the PC Brigade ( can't believe I just typed that) are now saying the verb "rape" can now only ever refer to the sexual kind.
Please. If it'd been a Tory MP who used the word, Harriet Harridan would've been ALL OVER it... This is what politics has come to these days. The fact we even have a "Women's Minister" is testament to that...

Please. If it'd been a Tory MP who used the word, Harriet Harridan would've been ALL OVER it... This is what politics has come to these days. The fact we even have a "Women's Minister" is testament to that...

I can agree with that. Plonkers, the lot of them.

At the moment, with outrage buses being parked on every piece of intellectual tarmac going, he should have been bright enough to use 'sack', 'ransack' or 'pillage.'

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom