Is there any av recievers out there better than a denon 3802 for £400

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by toxic mango, Dec 20, 2006.

Tags:
  1. toxic mango

toxic mango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have a budget of £400 for a new av amp. I am looking to replace my denon avr 3802. Just wondering whether any £400 av recievers out there better than the 3802.

Will be using it most probably iwth quad 21l, quad 11l and quad centre. Most probably xbox 360 as dvd player

Thanks

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    tbh for £400 the best you'll get is something like a 3805 (or similar £1,000 original rrp by other manufacturer) second hand....anything less will struggle to do the speakers justice.....

3. toxic mango

toxic mango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for the comment. Do you know how the denon 3802 would be with the speakers. I am planning to pick up the speakers at the sales but only available to buy next week. Unfortunately will not be able to test the denon amp 3802 until get them home so buying blind. I heard these a long time and they sounded good but were to expensice, decided to get them as they are now at a bargain price. Your thoughts on 3802 and quads would be helpful

Thanks

4. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297

I had a 3802, and a set of Quad L-ites. I normally used a couple of power amps (Linn and Naim) for the front channels, and it sounded fine to my ears.

I tried connecting the 3802 directly to the Quads, and it was OK for movies/TV, but dire for music (in stereo mode).

I've recently replaced the Denon with an Arcam AVR350, bi-amping the left and right speakers, and retaining the Naim amp to bi-amp the centre. This sounds better all round than the 3802 (as it should, considering the price).

As K_b said, the Quads deserve decent amps. The 3802 will work OK with them, but a more suitable amp will bring a big increase in quality. There's no way that buying a new AV amp for £400 will be worthwhile. You might get a better digital processor, but the power amps will probably be worse.

A secondhand 3805 is your best bet for a "new" AV amp. An alternative would be to add some power amps to your 3802. £400 will just about buy a couple of decent secondhand power amps.

5. toxic mango

toxic mango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi there

Sorry to bug you for some more info. In your opinion would I notice any differene in sound quality between my existing kef q35.2 and the quad L's if i continued using a denon 3802

Thanks

6. Peter Galbavy

Peter Galbavy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree, even if my current speakers are not up to much. My Cambridge Audio amp does much much better for stereo sources - but a good 5.1 audio mix is great.

As mentioned elsewhere, I am keeping an eye out for the 3808 next year as a potential replacement.

7. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Sorry, I've no idea what the kefs sound like.

The 3802 isn't a bad amplifier, and the Quads will be OK with it. It's just that they have the potential to sound better when you replace the amp.

When you go for a demo of the Quads, ask to hear them with a good amplifier, and with a cheap one. Personally, I found it easier to audition speakers in stereo mode, with music. Take your own CDs, and play a couple of tracks that you are familiar with on your own system.

It's also worth taking a track that you liked when you heard it on the radio, but which is disappointing on your own system. I've had music like this in the past - you listen to it in the car, and you tap your hands on the steering wheel. Play it at home, and it leaves you cold. A good system will often restore the timing, making the music enjoyable.

8. toxic mango

toxic mango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thank you both for your comments. Unfortunately it is an open box sale so cannot demo out the equipment. It is a matter of getting there eraly enought to get what i want. So sort of going in the dark a bit. Still I can get the 21 l, 11l, centre + sub for £1100 so i guess even if i do not like it should be able to sell it for a simialir amount

9. Topefisher

Topefisher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi, I made a similar rerquest recently with a budget of £450 for a receiver.
    The suggestions were very similar in that the recommendations were to go for as much power as possible for the Quads preferably form an older Flagship amp and in particular for music.

I have been used to running my Quads & HiFi through a large Yamaha amp and prior to that through a Quad amp, so I am now used to the Yamaha sound and am currently looking in that direction.

Have you thought about about trying to push the boat that little bit more and going for the Pioneer 2016 which can be had new for £525 from Sound & Vision in Farnworth (or online). It will give you many, many features for you £'s sterling

I would be interested to hear how this receiver performs musically as well as in surround myself

You know it makes sense to spend more than you can afford.

10. toxic mango

toxic mango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21

Thanks for your suggestion. I will do a bit more research. You are absolutely right - it looks like i will have to stretch the wallet - this is what my fears were of upgrading the speakers. I am currently looking at the arcam aver 250 i have seen it at one shop ex demo for about £700 very tempted

11. Topefisher

Topefisher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes I have just seen the Arcam avr 300 today ex demo model @£850 ish in Manchester.

How tempting was that?