Is there (analogue) life after Virgin?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by old grumpy, Sep 17, 2007.

1. old grumpy

old grumpy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have posted a few threads recently about going over to Sky+. Here’s the question. If Mr Virgin come and takes his box away, can I still get analogue TV down the wire into my old VCR tuner – in effect maintaining the ability to tape channels 1-5 as well as digital TV via Sky? Sounds greedy doesn’t it?

2. essjay

essjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    In theory yes, but if you cancel when collections come to pick your STB up they should also disconnect you in the cabinet but this does not always happen.

The other thing to consider is that if you get caught, Iam pretty sure you can be prosecuted for obtaining services by deception.

3. chris57

chris57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Shouldn't VM also be prosecuted then in that case. For obtaining money by deception, throttling, 25p/min (never refunded), etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.

4. m.stephens

m.stephens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    One of those grey areas really. The services you would be obtaining are actually free anyway if you had a normal antenna connection and he wouldn't be using anything which attempted to defeat encryption etc - just a normal analogue tuner. Unlike sneaking onto your neighbour's broadband, there wouldn't be any actual loss of anything. All in all it might be difficult to convince a jury there was dishonest intent and there it could be reasonably assumed that he honestly believed that VM were giving him this service for nothing as they had not disconnected the cable - except that he asked the question on here.

The analogue PQ is crap anyway so personally I would just get a cheap Freeview PVR and a decent antenna.

5. old grumpy

old grumpy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not sure about the prosecution thing. i am only talking about accessing the analogue terrestial channels 1-5, as I was able to get them via my dual standard NTL box anyway. In other words they are freeview channels.

Mind you NTL (as was) removed this dual standard box from service long before V+. This was another move to force customers to get a second box. I can currently record analogue and digital from this box. But Iam paying heavily for a package that with Sky plus would be £18 a month cheaper!