Is there an LCD pj with an extremely long throw lens?

Bert Coules

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about replacing my trusty old AE100, which still gives excellent results but which is beginning to suffer from the usual Panasonic discolouration in the centre of the screen.

The AE100 is ceiling-mounted in the centre of the viewing area and ideally I'd prefer a less obtrusive location. Best of all would be on the opposite wall to the screen, but that's a distance of some twenty-four feet - and the maximum screen size I can fit in is a seven foot width.

Does any LCD projector currently available have that sort of long-throw lens, either as standard or as an accessory?

Thanks in advance,

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

not many long throw lcd's around im afraid. the early plv30 was long throw but now all new models are short throw.i think the more expensive sonys are long throw(£2500+)or you have to go dlp(sim2?)

Geoff,

Thanks for the reply. I don't get on with DLP, I'm afraid; I've yet to find one which doesn't register rainbows on my brain.

One possible alternative to a long-throw lens is to move the projector closer to the screen rather than further away: there's a ceiling beam which would do a good job of (partially, at least) hiding it. But this would also entail raising the projector by some six or seven inches, and the screen by the same amount - I really don't want to angle the pj down and use keystone correction - and I reckon this would make the image uncomfortably high off the ground.

All in all, it looks as though things are probably going to have to stay pretty much the way they are...

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

i looked at the sim2 at the bristol show and couldnt see rainbows, so maybe i dont know what to look for!??.
The more expensive sonys im sure are long throw(vw11t??)
Why sanyo didnt produce another long throw pj is a mystery

Gordon,

I think that if it's a matter of geometric distortions or a projector slung from the centre of my ceiling, I'll settle for the latter.

What's this feature I've seen mentioned, "lens shift"? Am I right in thinking that it enables you to move the position of a projected image up and down to a certain degree, without distortion? If that is it, Just how much movement is possible?

Geoff,

As I understand it, some people are far more susceptible to rainbows than others; it sounds like you're one of the lucky ones.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Originally posted by Bert Coules

What's this feature I've seen mentioned, "lens shift"? Am I right in thinking that it enables you to move the position of a projected image up and down to a certain degree, without distortion? If that is it, Just how much movement is possible?

It does indeed allow movement of the projected image.
As for how much, this probably depends on the make of PJ but my Sanyo Z2 will allow me to move the image I think 100% up or down. It will also allow left/right movement. The further towards the extremes you go, the more chance of visible distorsion I guess. A couple of feet certainly shouldn't present a problem though.

Woz, thanks for that. So if I could find a projector with an even shorter throw than the AE100, and with lens shift, I could move the pj closer to the screen and nearer to the ceiling and still maintain the existing screen position. That would enable me to effectively tuck it away behind the ceiling beam.

I must say I'm amazed that this technology allows for a 100% image-shift. I thought it was a much smaller adjustment than that.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Bert,

As Woz says you need to be careful when using these at extremes as you can get a pretty obvious image distortion when at end stops on some devices. Sorry I don't know what device can solve your requirement

Gordon

What throw distance will you need if you go near the beam?
The Z2 has a pretty short throw.

(have you checked out the throw calculator on projectorcentral?)

Gordon, thanks. Clearly, if I do decide to explore this approach I'll need to have some pretty accurately set-up demos (or find some very reliable reviews) to guide me.

I shouldn't need anything like a 100% image shift, though. I can effectively hide my projector by raising it as little as 7" from its present position.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Woz,

If I move the projector forward I'd be needing to get an 80-84" wide image from a 100" throw. Can the Z2 do that?.

I did look at projector central but only when I was thinking in terms of a very long throw. Now that this alternative approach has been suggested, I'll look again.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Image shift tends to be measured from centre of screen I think.

Ie 100% shift up would allow placement of lens level with the top of the screen (when projector not inverted. So even although you may only want to move it7" higher it could be outwith the parameters. lens shift is, more often thatn not, designed to allow the placement of the projector at points within the vertical and horizontal height and width of the screen, without having to resort to keystone correction. It is not for putting projectors in extreme positions outwith screen area, imo. Make sure you do careful maths and get that dem like you said!

Gordon

Gordon,

Thanks, that makes it clearer. My AE100 is inverted and I'd expect to have to mount any replacement the same way. Mind you, this whole thing is rather theoretical just at the present; by the time my Panasonic finally descends into unwatchability, who knows what will be on the market?

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

I've now checked the specs of the Z2 and while the vertical shift I need falls well within its limits, I'd lose over 10" of screen width if I brought the projector mounting position forward to its ideal location.

Much as I'd like to tuck the pj neatly out of sight, I'm reluctant to accept a smaller screen...

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom