1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there an inherent fault with the Hitachi PJ-LC2001?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Digibit, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Digibit

Digibit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I would appreciate comments from Hitachi owners on the following...

As a Christmas present to myself I ordered a PJ-2001 on the strength of the favourable reviews on this site from AV-SAles.com. It arrived on Wednesday and I duly set about testing it with my favourite DVD's. The first thing I checked was for dead pixels - none at all!! . The picture was excellent - far better than a Panasonic projector I have been 'borrowing' from work some weekends. Two things did, however quite annoy me:

1. I noticed that the keystone correction introduced horrendous 'tearing' (jaggies to you computer people) to the sides of the screen

2. There is an enormous amount of light coming out of the back of the projector through the fan grill. For a projector that has such a short throw, and is likely to be put on a table in front of you (like in my setup), this is not a good thing.

Then, after about ten minutes I noticed that, during darker scenes there was a red tinge to the upper right and lower left of the screen and a green tinge to the upper left and lower right. I put on the opening scene from Star Trek First Contact and there it was again - very noticeable this time. I trouble-shooted for a bit - changing source from S-Video to RGB from my laptop, swapping power cables and the like but it was still there. I eventually concluded that it was faulty and dreaded the call to AV-Sales.com. I have to admit though, the service was excellent - they got a new projector delivered the next day (Friday) and got a courier to pick up the faulty unit.

When the new unit arrived I set it up again and went through the same procedure. Again no dead pixels (Hitachi must have good quality control) but the red and green tinges were still there, this time more pronounced at the bottom of the picture. On 'normal' daytime scenes there is no noticeable discolouring but as soon as the lights go down the fault becomes noticeable – It’s driving me crazy.

Has anybody else seen this kind of colour staining before? Have I just been really unlucky or is there an inherent fault with these units (or maybe a faulty batch)?

I am going to send this unit back again (damn - no projector for Christmas) and try and get an explanation from Hitachi.

Can anyone out there that has one of these confirm that their PJ is OK?

Can anyone out there explain what the fault might be - I suspect something is misaligned somewhere or fault optics. Is it something to do with my setup? - there are no speakers or anything electrical near to the projector.

HELP!!!

Digibit

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Any comments then :(

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Digibit (Great name BTW)

Sorry to here of your troubles, I thought that things like that only happened to me!

Do AV-Sales agree that the units they have sent you are faulty. If they are selling dozens of these units then they have got a better idea if this is a common fault.

Did the 2nd unit have the same tearing and light seepage as the 1st unit? HCC review said the the was little light seepage from their test unit, so I was supprised to here that!

Do keep us posted with what is happening. This this unit has caused such an interest that there are so many potential buyers reading this (me one of them) and we would welcome any information, good or bad!

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Meat. as you know I am also a potential customer fro the Hitachi. Two on a run sounds like a faulty batch :( I guess Hitachi's quality control is good with dead pixels but not on other area's.

Digibit, keep us informed.

5. Digibit

Digibit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Tim & Meat,

I am going to speak to AV Sales tomorrow. There was a guy there called Mat that was very helpful - I'm going to try and get him to speak to Hitachi or even give me the number so I can kick off at someone

With regards to the tearing I have sorted it out my so that I don't need to use keystone anymore. I lowered the hight of my screen and used a function on the projector to throw the image higher (you can set it at three 'heights' without affecting the keystone (dont ask me 'cos I dont know how it works - it just does).

With regards to the light coming out of the back - it really is annoying although it didn't help that I had it on a white table. I put some black felt under and it made it a bit better but I reckon there shouldn't be any light coming out of the back of the projector at all.

All in all I'm pretty p***ed off. I dont know whether to try another Hitachi or just get my money back and begin looking AGAIN for the ideal projector for me :(

Anyway - where are Doug and Steve - I'd love to know if their projectors are OK.

Digibit

6. stevebrowne

stevebrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - sorry only just saw your message.

I haven't noiced any colour tinges at all on the projected image (although no doubt I will now!), but I will look out for them next time I fire it up.

As for the light seepage, yes it is very bright at the back, for no discernable reason (apart from heat dissipation), but I find it very easy to filter in or out, so it doesn't really bother me. If it was ceiling mounted it wouldn't be a problem I guess.

With the keystone jaggies, I only get them on the outer black section of the image, not the movie itself, which is straight as a rule (-ish). I haven't tried the little pop down leg yet, does that sort out the image automatically?

7. Digibit

Digibit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Steve,

The height adjustment I was talking about is in the menu. If you go to the area where you set the screen mode (4:3 16:9) the icons have a down arrow on them. If you press up and down it moves the image between three heights.

With regard to the colour staining - if you haven't noticed it you can't be suffering . I had a good play around yesterday and it is really bad on any dark scenes.

I am just about to phone AV Sales to get them to pick my duff PJ up:(

Digibit