Is there an equivalent model out there?

melliott1963

Established Member
Reaction score
As mentioned in another thread, I'm looking for a new mini dv camcorder and am still at the research stage.

One of the things that is troubling me is that there don't seem to be many, if any, mini dv camcorders with an equivalent specification to my old camcorder (a Sony TRV620), in particular:-

Min illumination of 3 Lux (not including nightshot mode)
25x optical zoom

Whilst I'm in no doubt that that for normal, outdoor, shooting, the new camcoders will deliver better results, I am concerned that my indoor filming will be significantly worse (the Sony TRV33 only has a min Lux of 7) without an external light which I'd rather not use if I can help it.

Also, having been 'spoilt' by the 25x optical zoom which has come in useful at times, will I be satisfied with only a 10x optical zoom which most seem to come with these days?

Finally, are most camcorders still 'cursed' with wind noise unless you use an external mic? If so, I assume, some are better than others.

I think I've narrowed my choice down to the Sony TRV33 (good all rounder), Panasonic NVGS50 (excellent picture with 3CCD), or the Canon MVX150I (16x optical zoom), none of which are really 100% perfect for my liking, or am I going to have to look at increasing my budget and buying either a better model or just loads of extra attachments (external mic, light etc).

Thanks for any ideas/help etc.

The Canon XM2's LUX rating is around the 3 mark, with a 20X optical zoom and uses 3 CCD. Unfortunately, it is obviously a bit more expensive (around the £1550 mark), but if you want all those features then that's where you've got to start looking. Frankly shooting in poor light does not and will not ever give great results . Is it really preferable to using a video light? What are you shooting?

If you are happy with your Sony why the need to upgrade (it does Digital8 doesn't it)?

The main reason for upgrading is that I think that my current camcorder is starting to play up. When my first camcorder broke, because it was a Hi8, I was tied into getting either another Hi8 or a Digital 8 camcorder as I hadn't got round to editing all my tapes.
I don't want to get into the same situation of having to buy another Digital 8 camcorder, just to play my old tapes. Also, compared to the mini dv camcorders, my Digital 8 is like carrying a brick around with me!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom