Is there an 'auto power off' feature?

Jon Weaver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
I have a ton of downloading to do, since I had my PS3 replaced.. I just wonder if there is anyway to make the PS3 switch off after a period of time, so that I could leave it on overnight.

I know there is no problem leaving it on.. But I would rather not.

Is there an 'auto shutoff' feature which i havn't found?

Jon

You could run Folding@Home whilst downloading software from PSN and the F@H client has an auto off feature that will turn off the PS3 after a period that you choose.

S.

Cool.. So F@H allows 'background downloading'.. I didn't know that. .I was hoping that you could still download whilst playing games, but it appears you can't and I assumed that F@H was the same.

I will give it a go tonight... Cheers

Jon

Sorry my mistake. :oops: :blush: just re-reading the online PS3 manual...

# A background download will be temporarily stopped when any of the following operations are performed. The download will be restarted automatically once the operation has completed.
# - When playing a Blu-ray Disc or DVD
# - When using network features of online games *
# - When starting PlayStation®2 format software
# - When starting (Folding@home™)
# - When using voice / video chat
# - When performing a system update
# - When adjusting setting items under (Settings)

* While a game is in process of ending, background downloading will be stopped temporarily.

S.

Sorry my mistake. :oops: :blush: just re-reading the online PS3 manual...

S.

Steve, you're not wrong, the manual is lol. I have used Folding (latest version ofc) many times to auto shut my PS3 off while downloading Yakuza and a slew of other demos.

Steve, you're not wrong, the manual is lol. I have used Folding (latest version ofc) many times to auto shut my PS3 off while downloading Yakuza and a slew of other demos.

I think that it was correct originally, but one of the updates to F@H allowed the background downloading to work. I could be wrong though.

This is all making sense now.. I was downloading Warhawk and it was 71%, so i started COD and played online for a bit.. When I finished it was still at 71%

Then I played Motorstorm (one player) and during the game, it said "download is complete"..

This seems to make perfect sense.. If you are online then downloads stop.. if you are not, then they will continue...

Thanks for that.. its been a huge help

Jon

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom