Is there an amp that will do all this for under £400?

Laceybloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Firstly, I'll tell you what kit I've got (or am planning on getting) and then tell you what my ideal receiver would be able to do with it all. Here we go:

Sony KDL32V4000 LCD TV
Sony BDPS350 Blu-ray player
Sony RDR-HX900 HDD/DVD recorder (component, no HDMI)
Virgin Media V+ PVR
Xbox 360 with HDMI
Wii
KEF 1005 5.1 speakers

Ideally I'd like to hook up the blu-ray, V+ and 360 using HDMI into the receiver, and the Wii and HDD/DVD recorder using component. I'm not sure which of these components, if any, would need digital connections (either optical or coaxial) to the receiver in addition to the HDMIs in order to get 5.1. Then, if possible, I'd just have one HDMI out of the receiver into the TV. I'd want the receiver to be able to handle all the Dolby Digital and DTS HD audio formats, have auto-calibration and cost £400 or less (preferably as little as possible!). I've not ruled out getting a PS3 at some point so a spare HDMI input might be useful and I'll also be connecting a Roku Soundbridge via either optical or digital.

Naturally, I want the best possible sound and picture options from all my sources. So then - is there anything out there that will do all this within my budget?

IIRC Only the Sony 2400ES or Onkyo 606 offer 4 HDMI at that sort of price point and would tick all your boxes. The 606 has been out for a while (see Onkyo forum or whathifi for reviews etc.) but the Sony is pretty new. The wii will use its analogue audio output and you'll need a digital audio output for your DVD recorder (not sure which, haven't checked the online manual), everything else passes audio via HDMI.

IIRC Only the Sony 2400ES or Onkyo 606 offer 4 HDMI at that sort of price point and would tick all your boxes. The 606 has been out for a while (see Onkyo forum or whathifi for reviews etc.) but the Sony is pretty new. The wii will use its analogue audio output and you'll need a digital audio output for your DVD recorder (not sure which, haven't checked the online manual), everything else passes audio via HDMI.

The DVD recorder has both optical and coax digital outputs so I could use either really, although as I'd only be using it to archive stuff from the V+ box (which happens via SCART) I'm not entirely sure a digital connection would gain me anything?

So do both the V+ and the 360 send their 5.1 via the HDMI? I've been getting mixed reports about these two.

I notice that the Sony STR-DG820 has 4 HDMIs, but as far as I can tell it won't upscale my component sources - have I got that right? Of course if it's just a case that I'd need to connect an addition component cable to my TV out of the receiver then fair enough, as that receiver's only £250 as opposed to the £400 of the Onkyo. Are there any other drawbacks for this Sony from my original wishlist?

I don't think I understand the whole upconversion/upscaling issue properly - if someone could set me straight that would be handy in making a decision.

I don't think I understand the whole upconversion/upscaling issue properly - if someone could set me straight that would be handy in making a decision.

Upscaling - upscales resolutions, i.e. 576i/720p/1080i/1080p.

Upconversion - think of this as a hierachy of sources....allows upconversion of sources (i.e. video/s-video/component) to be output via HDMI. Check that your amp will upconvert all analogue sources to digital, if not you will need to run a component out cable to the TV.

The Sony STR-DG910 will do pretty mcuh everything you want.

Sony KDL32V4000 LCD TV - HDMI Out
Sony BDPS350 Blu-ray player - BD HDMI In
Sony RDR-HX900 HDD/DVD recorder (component, no HDMI) - DVD Component In
Virgin Media V+ PVR - Sat HDMI In
Xbox 360 with HDMI - Video 1 HDMI In
Wii - DVD Component/Composite In?
KEF 1005 5.1 speakers - speaker outs.

Not sure whether the Wii on DVD Component/Composite would work as there would already be a 'better' signal on anotehr device. But providing the other device (DVD Recorder) wasn't turned on i think it would auto select the Wii.

Would like someones confirmation on this.

The DG910 upconverts sources to HDMI, so any analogue signal (ie component) would be output over the HDMI to the TV. The 820 won;t do this. However you could use the DG820 but have a set of component leads from the 820 to the Tv as well as the HDMI.

HTH

Last edited:
The Sony STR-DG910 will do pretty mcuh everything you want.

Hmmm... good suggestion, but not entirely sure it hits all the points. As far as I can tell it doesn't decode HD audio formats, and ideally I reckon 4 HDMIs is the way to go. I'd also want the 360 hooked up via HDMI - if I've got it, I might as well use it! Fairly tricky to get hold of the 910 now too - very few places seem to have it in stock.

Hmmm... good suggestion, but not entirely sure it hits all the points. As far as I can tell it doesn't decode HD audio formats, and ideally I reckon 4 HDMIs is the way to go. I'd also want the 360 hooked up via HDMI - if I've got it, I might as well use it! Fairly tricky to get hold of the 910 now too - very few places seem to have it in stock.

Oops, i meant that the XBox would be HDMI too!

You're right about the HD audio formats. I forgot about that because my PS3 and HDDVD do the decoding and the 910 accepts the LPCM over HDMI.

Also, correct on the stock, i had to get mine second hand.

Hmmm... good suggestion, but not entirely sure it hits all the points. As far as I can tell it doesn't decode HD audio formats.

It doesn't have to as your bluray player decodes them first and outputs them as 7.1 channel LPCM, which the 910 can deal with.

See the manual p63.

Last edited:
It doesn't have to as your bluray player decodes them first and outputs them as 7.1 channel LPCM, which the 910 can deal with.

I don't think the BDP-S350 decodes DTS-HD Master Audio unfortunately - so I'd still need an amp that does the decoding itself.

So is it looking like the Onkyo 606 if I want "the whole nine yards" then?

Can someone clarify what I'd lose by going for something like the Sony 820? £150 seems to be quite a wedge of cash. I've noted that it doesn't do upscaling or upconversion - but does this mean the picture quality wouldn't be as good as through an amp that does upscale/upconvert?

Yes, it would be the core DTS audio surround soundtrack with the BDP-S350 as a source and connected to an av amp/receiver that doesn't have in-built hd decoding (but otherwise supports LPCM surround over hdmi). You otherwise have to look at the imminent Sony BDP-S550 or Panasonic BD35 (plus BD50/BD55) standalone players outside of the PS3 if you want some form of DTS-HD MA support.

There are some connection differences but as you touched on, the main differences between the Sony STR-DG820 and the Onkyo SR606 is the lack of analogue video upconversion and upscaling over hdmi. The former simplifies cabling/switching with non hdmi sources and on budget models the latter is better handled by the source or your television IMO. So you wouldn't be losing out on picture quality as such. The main difference between the two however is really the overall performance and less tangible differences such as the styling or set up process - that's where it's worthwhile seeking an audition to see if it otherwise meets your needs. There's no doubt that the Sony STR-DG820 offers a lot given its price.

Robert

Last edited:
Is video switching an absolute must? Could try the Yamaha DSPAX763 if not.

Is video switching an absolute must? Could try the Yamaha DSPAX763 if not.

That's certainly a lot of amp for the money isn't it?

As regards video switching, I'm not absolutely desperate for it, but I just figured that it might make things simpler in the long run. If, however, this simplicity compromises picture quality I'm happy to do without. My current receiver (which has done me quite nicely for 8 years!) is a Sony STR-DB930 which I use to handle sound alone, as I didn't want to take the performance hit of using composite or S-video.

So - just to move the goalposts slightly then... Could I have all my picture sources hooked up straight to the TV and then sound via other connections to the new receiver? I'm guessing that I'd still use HDMI for V+, 360 and Blu-ray. That leaves the DVD recorder and the Wii, either of which could use component or RGB SCART (The TV only has one component in).

If this was the case, I'd need four digital inputs on the receiver, at least two of which were optical (360 and V+ don't have coax). Blu-ray and Soundbridge have coax and optical, so could use either.

However - and this is where I'll confess my ignorance - if I don't use HDMI to the receiver, will I be able to get the HD sound formats? I didn't think they could be passed over coax or optical? Don't they either have to go as LPCM over analogue connections or as Bitstream via HDMI?

All this seems like a lot of extra cabling and switching and associated shenanigans!

Could I make do with something simpler like the Onkyo 506 if the blu-ray was handling the HD audio decoding?

Sorry for so many questions - Can you tell I'm out of my depth now?! :D

Laceybroke, the BD350 is the only source that needs to go through the receiver (for the reasons previously touched upon). Optical or coaxial digital doesn't have the necessary bandwidth for the additional blu ray associated surround formats. In-player decoding is an option on some players and with those av amps/receivers which don't offer LPCM surround over hdmi you can use multi-channel analogue output (assuming the player offers it). However, this doesn't apply to the BD350 because of the lack of DTS-HD MA decoding. The PS3 as a source is a bit different, since it's capable of decoding all the formats itself (including DTS-HD MA) i.e. it doesn't need 'hd' decoding built into the av amp/receiver - it just needs LPCM surround over hdmi to be able to utilise it.

However, all the other sources you mentioned are strictly Dolby Digital/DTS only so don't have those issues. Provided you have sufficient inputs on your television, there's no reason why you couldn't connect any of the other sources directly. It just makes switching a little more complicated since it relies on switching both the television's input and the receiver ( - the way around that is an all-in-one learning-style remote should you find that bothers you a bit further down the line).

The Onkyo 506 isn't really an option as the hdmi inputs are only for video switching purposes. So you would be back to the core Dolby Digital and DTS surround formats over optical connection. You could consider the Onkyo SR576 ~ £260. Think of it as a SR606 minus in-built hd decoding, no upconversion or upscaling and three hdmi inputs. Unlike the SR506 it offers the ability to accept LPCM over hdmi. However, it sounds like the Sony STR-DA2400es av receiver would be the closest to your requirements though, subject to an audition of course.

The Wii uses component output ideally with the audio carried by a pair of phono cables - the av receiver then processes this using Dolby Prologic II decoding to give you surround from games. Composite should be avoided; sticking to component video and hdmi should give you optimal video quality on those sources you listed.

Robert

Last edited:
If you went for the 763 then you'd connect as follows:

Video:
Virgin Media to TV with HDMI
360 to TV with HDMI
DVD recorder to TV with RGB Scart
Wii to TV with Component
S-350 to Amp via HDMI
Amp to TV via HDMI

Audio:
360, DVD-R and V+ to optical on amp
Wii to stereo input on amp (you can take the audio and video cables on the official Nintendo cable to different places easily)
S-350 delivers bitstream audio to amp via HDMI

If you got a PS3, then I'd put that via the second HDMI in on the amplifier.

However, all the other sources you mentioned are strictly Dolby Digital/DTS only so don't have those issues. Provided you have sufficient inputs on your television, there's no reason why you couldn't connect any of the other sources directly. It just makes switching a little more complicated since it relies on switching both the television's input and the receiver ( - the way around that is an all-in-one learning-style remote should you find that bothers you a bit further down the line).

Well funnily enough I already have a Harmony 555 which handles all my remote control duties at present, so this shouldn't be an issue! So providing I set this all up correctly (i.e. tell it to select the appropriate source on both receiver and TV) then my requirement for video switching might be a bit redundant?

Thanks for all the replies so far everyone - much appreciated. Having other people's thoughts on the subject is so much more useful than just trying to plough through this on my own! Keep em coming... :smashin:

Laceybloke said:
Can someone clarify what I'd lose by going for something like the Sony 820? £150 seems to be quite a wedge of cash.
I would hope sound quality comes into this somewhere!

I would hope sound quality comes into this somewhere!

But of course! However, before I go setting my heart (and budget) on something in particular I'd like to consider all the options. If sound quality was the be-all-and-end-all I'd be setting my price range considerably higher! Convenience and features do have a large part to play. Also bear in mind the fact that the speakers I'm going to be using, whilst good, won't set the world alight in terms of quality. And my lounge isn't the most expansive!

But I take your point! :thumbsup:

Well funnily enough I already have a Harmony 555 which handles all my remote control duties at present, so this shouldn't be an issue! So providing I set this all up correctly (i.e. tell it to select the appropriate source on both receiver and TV) then my requirement for video switching might be a bit redundant?
As long as the remote has a 'macro' feature (in order to string together separate commands) and your television ideally has a way of selecting a specific input (e.g. hdmi 1 as opposed to having to scroll up or down from the current one) then yes, that ought to be possible. Even with the latter there's usually a way around it, for example forcing the tuner input and then knowing that a specific source input on the television is up or down a certain number of arrow presses.

On the other issue of budget, it's really about deciding what features you need as opposed to what features would merely be nice to have. Once you have your shortlist you can then consider what you have to spend to get the performance you need. As you touched on, that's going to be different for different people since it depends both on your expections and your perception of what's 'good enough'. :)

Robert

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom