Is there an age you stop listening to new music.

Deaf Audiophile

Established Member
Reaction score
A 2015 study of people’s listening habits on Spotify found that most people stop listening to new music at 33; a 2018 report by Deezer had it at 30. In my 20s, the idea that people’s appetite to consume new music regularly would be switched off like some kind of tap was ludicrous. However, now I’m 36, it’s difficult to argue with.

I found this above article which I found interesting. Have you stopped listening to new music? I am 64 but it has to really impress in a few seconds to listen to new stuff. Tom Grennan is one of my latest but is it because his home was 2 streets away. I also find music I cant believe I never listened to. But also is it because we have a great back catalogue with age.
Let me know if you have stopped listening to new music.

New as in new to me or new as in contemporary? Answer to both is no, not yet. The beauty of streaming is discovering artists, albums and tracks which I’ve never heard before. I can’t say I enjoy everything I discover but have found some cracking new music. Always have a few old favourites not too far from hand, either.
This is worth scanning through, also.

New as in new to me or new as in contemporary? Answer to both is no, not yet. The beauty of streaming is discovering artists, albums and tracks which I’ve never heard before. I can’t say I enjoy everything I discover but have found some cracking new music. Always have a few old favourites not too far from hand, either.
This is worth scanning through, also.

Yes I agree streaming is good for finding new stuff & easily accessible but I am old fashioned I suppose & feel it's just like listening on the radio when you don't own it. I feel streaming is like a running tap & it goes straight down the sink & is soon forgotten.i have found a couple of albums on there because its a great library that I wanted so I purchased online the physical item. So yes streaming has its place as a library for me to find more stuff from artists I like. Often finding the odd new artist.

Yes I agree streaming is good for finding new stuff & easily accessible but I am old fashioned I suppose & feel it's just like listening on the radio when you don't own it. I feel streaming is like a running tap & it goes straight down the sink & is soon forgotten.i have found a couple of albums on there because its a great library that I wanted so I purchased online the physical item. So yes streaming has its place as a library for me to find more stuff from artists I like. Often finding the odd new artist.
True.I do agree that streaming is essentially renting music, but it does allow you to explore new music and make purchases based on that.

True.I do agree that streaming is essentially renting music, but it does allow you to explore new music and make purchases based on that.
Dead right & the plus is that streaming is high quality sound too so you get the true sound. Not like when I was younger finding new music listening to an small dodgy signal transistor radio under my bed sheets with school next morning where some pirate radio station was in the middle of the English Channel. I have purchased albums based on streams & still use them for researching music tastes.

Well I'm 33 and have pretty much stopped listening to new music recently so guess I fit their model.
That's not to say I wouldn't listen to anything new, but I find music today becoming less and less tolerable.

As a kid of the 90s my music taste is 90s/00s/10s but I do find I'm going backwards in time rather than forwards and started enjoying more music from 80s/70s

Maybe you just take a break in your 30s, I think I did but started listening to new music again a decade later.

Guess I stopped around 30-40, getting back into it as I approach retirement.

How do you listen to new music on Spotify?

If I stop finding new music then I listen less and less.

Streaming is a great joy to me. I try at least a few tracks from as many new albums in the genres I like on Qobuz as I can and use the track radio and daily mixes on Spotify to find new music.

Also I would suggest that one cannot exactly own music, all you can do is buy the media for offline playback. I have enough offline music to last if my internet connection goes down for a while.

54 now and listening to more new music than ever.

Even when you purchase a CD you don’t own it. You’re just buying the right to listen to it. :D

To answer the original question, i’m still discovering new music / artists at 45. Who wants a static music collection?

No

Spotify found that most people stop listening to new music at 33; a 2018 report by Deezer had it at 30

Definitely would have been the case , and logically its easy to see why.

When your are younger , you have disposable income ( you had to buy your music ) and lots of free time to browse in Record Stores trying to find that elusive album.

With a young family , you have no disposable income and you'll be lucky if you find time to sleep.
Trivial things like "what music you are into " get dumped, and your collection is frozen at that point in time.

You may get time when your older , but obviously the landscape will have changed beyond all recognition so you will gravitate towards what you know.

Its different now though , now you don't have to buy music and a small sub gives you access at any time to the entire catalog of recorded music from a device that fits in your pocket.
So new music is a possibility all the time.

Also as you dont have to pay for it like you used too , that tribal musical snobbery is also gone , so your range is usually much wider , more eclectic as it were.

Last edited:
No why would there be if you can still hear it and enjoy it then listen and enjoy 😁

I'm 71 and I still listen to new music, new to me at least, much of which has been recommended by members. I'm not into streaming so recommendations is how I go. Good singer songwriters will always get my ear.

40 now and I would say I am expanding my musical interests more than ever, finding new music, both as new artists (new and new to me) and new genres. Agree with those that use streaming services for finding new music. Makes it so easy to have random playlists, then have a song catch my ear, which then leads to looking up that artist. Found a Canadian artist this way, and have now ordered one of her LPs from the US (now playing the waiting game for it to arrive) as the album is fantastic.

New music is a joy.

I have a separate playlist on Spotify for this purpose. Anything that I get an interesting recommendation for goes in the queue and I set aside time to listen. Recommendations come from music reviews, All Music recommendation, radio airplay or new albums by artist already in my library; i dont find Spotify's much heralded recommendations algorithm any help at all unfortunately.

I usually save an entire album or the most popular 5 or 10 tracks if I'm not sure if it's an artist I'll appreciate. I set aside time to work through my playlist and mostly either add new material to my library or reject it. in about 15% of cases it might go to the back of the queue. My backlog is currently 714 songs so around 45 hours of music. The next album was added to the queue in February.

I also take random slabs of my library to listen to so I get a good mix across the decades. I do something similar for classical music but there is less new stuff added to that.

Listening to a favourite well loved track is great, so is stumbling across a lesser known track you haven't listened to for years but I have to keep the library alive not a fossilised relic of years past.

Probably a little bit obsessive but who around here isn't ;)

Born in 1962 so just turned 60.

Still listen to music every day.
Never stopped for any significant amount of time as I'm not married and never had kids.
Still listen to 6 Music every day and always have my ears open to new music.

This my key ring:

P1010359.JPG

P1010360.JPG

The Spotify survey would have probably have been about right for me 25 years ago but it would have to have been specifically in the sense of radio. Don’t get me wrong, I do still listen to the radio, mainly as background music (unless it’s a talk show), and I’ve had the very odd phase where I’ve listened to 6 Music to listen out for new music. After the Spotify age new music was sourced by my own efforts…..what I heard from friends, tracking certain bands for new releases, using searches for ‘similar’ bands/music to see what was out there, etc. Then came along streaming and I probably listen to more new music now than I ever have….I have Release Radar as a permanent playlist and if I like a track, it goes into one of my ‘for keeps’ playlists.
I haven’t bought a CD for quite a while…..I fell out of love with the format. But recently I’ve got some of my old CDs out to play and thought, that quality is superb…..so I might go back to buying the odd one now and again, of course after checking it out on Spotify first.
Music has always been in my life and I’m the only one in my family who really is ‘into’ their music…..but I’m no expert. For me it’s the joy of listening, not knowing the ins and outs of the artist/s. One thing I do know, life would be unbearable without it!

One issue with this article is that her data was taken from only one year (2014). All her "study" shows is that in the year 2014, people who are younger listened to more recent releases, and people who were older listening to releases spanning a greater length of time, meaning "popular music" (new music) made up a smaller percentage of the whole. It is a mistake to extrapolate a cross-section to changes over time. A better study would take data from a sample of 13 year olds and follow their music choices for 20-30 years and see how it changes. Otherwise, the conclusion seems lack validity.

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom