Is there already a HD DVD player that plays HD divx formats

skyform

I don't mean upscaling a SD divx format to 720p, 108'0i or 1080p but if there is a player that playes HD divx formats. Looks like that AVeL Linkplayer 2 plays them, is it any good and are there any other DVD players who can do this?

gixxerman

I would love such a facility, a genuine all DVD formats & HD DVD player would be great and I could dump my SD DVD player and have just the 1 box under the HD TV
(I only have a couple of SACDs & DVD-Audios I got just to try the formats out with).

aniki

I don't mean upscaling a SD divx format.....if there is a player that playes HD divx formats. ....are there any other DVD players who can do this?

Xbox360 or PS3 ;)

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member

That can play neither HD DVD nor HD Divx, which is normally in the mkv format.

Xbox360 or PS3 ;)

...and nor can these play HD DiVX, unless you convert them from mkv to DVD.

This is a HD Divx player, but not HD DVD or BR:

http://www.tvix.co.kr/Eng/products/4100sh.aspx

I personally am going to get round the problem by building a HTPC to be able to play HD Divx and add a BR/HDDVD combo drive.

aniki

...and nor can these play HD DiVX, unless you convert them from mkv to DVD.

I assure you they can. I have first hand experience!
MKV is something different. MKV is a container which 'usually' contains h.264 video and aac audio which can easily be converted with no transcoding to MP4 (Albeit with stereo sound only) which can also play on these consoles.

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
I assure you they can. I have first hand experience!
MKV is something different. MKV is a container which 'usually' contains h.264 video and aac audio which can easily be converted with no transcoding to MP4 (Albeit with stereo sound only) which can also play on these consoles.

I understand that a PS3 plays Divx with the firmware that came out in december? but was not aware that it could play anything higher. HD Divx has a native resolution of 1280 x 720 (ish -sorry, not sure about that) and a normal 350mb show is approx 1gb in size if a HD or 720p version, and are normally wrapped in the mkv format.

Most Divx DVD players have a cut off point by resolution and will not play them correctly (maybe sound with no picture) or just ignore them as a bad file, thus needing a machine that can play the higher res while having access to the codecs required.

Cannot comment on the XBOX, as I had no intensions of owning one and thus have done no research on it.

Very interested to know otherwise though!

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
Blimey! Nice to know, and thanks T800.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom