1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a well rated plasma made by NEC

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Adam M, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have a contact that enables me to get NEC equipment at cost, but I don't know if they make a good unit.

he isn't the kind of guy I can muck around so I would rather do my research on here than muck him around with questions.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

2. lawrenso

lawrenso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    The NEC 42XR3 looks good on paper but I have tried to get some feedback on this forum but with no luck. It appears to be HDMI and Hi Def compatable and can be got through Internet companiew for about £2k5 for screen only but does come with 7 AV inputs.

How much can you get this screen for - I might be interested?

Cheers

Lawrenso

3. Mojito

Mojito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    New NEC panels get a lot of positive reivews on AVS forums. I myself serivousely looking to get one their VM5/VR5 ED models. My first choise was PWD7, but with all the problems that other owners are reporting, I'm now in doubt.
    I'm going to demo NEC 42VM5 tomorrow, so if it works out, I will share my impressions.
    There is an interesting review comparing NEC and Panny 7 50" models here:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=4787272#post4787272

4. hutchys

hutchys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello this is what Liam sent to me regarding the NEC 42XM3 it is fairly comprehensive and he thinks it is a good screen. I myself like a lot of people on here am still trying to choose between this the panny phd7 and the pio mxe1?

Hi Jim,

well I've gotten a few hours in with the screen today and on Saturday using a variety of sources (interlaced budget DVD, high end DVD, Lumagen processor, Sky Digital). Initial setup took just a couple of minutes but the picture was like a really bright Panasonic but with bugger all black detail. So high whites, low blacks and nothing in between. I bashed around plenty more (and had to read the manual at one point!!) until I got to the kinda settings I needed and tweaked again. Now I was spoilt for choice - the NEC has a gazillion and one calibrations without needing to get into a engineers menu. The main few were Gamma, Colour temp, colour adjustment, colour gain adjustment and an excellent setting called Low Tune which gave you the choice of dither or error diffusion method for detail enhancement (I went non-default error diffusion method). Eventually I got the picture I was looking for. It's like a Panasonic that sacrifices some of it's overall black level for a much brighter picture, and on the way picks up much nicer colour representation. To cut a long story short I like it, it's bright, accurate, vivid, still has blacks and black level (but not to Panasonic level) and must easily measure a couple of thousand to one contrast. Loads of inputs and you can do loads to it. Still no 50Hz native res though. To cut the short story long... keep reading:

Blacks - still not Panasonic black, but very black indeed. Noticeably better levels than the latest Pioneer XDE, and far far more detail. Hair is detailed like the Panasonic would do it, every single strand is displayed separately with each shade of very dark brown to black getting a chance (Antonio Banderas in Once upon a time in Mexico). Side by side to the Panny you can tell where in an extremely dark scene the NEC has a faded black tint rather than slick black tint, but quite interestingly the NEC shows the detail without washing it out like the Pioneers do. In non-dark scenes black levels appear very well, and not like with the Pioneer where you know deep down it looks good because of how bright the rest of the scene is, but actually very black. It's only through comparison with the charcoal frame that you realise it could be jet black.

Shadow detail - pretty much covered above. Excellent detail.

Colour - Nice and bright and punchy like the Pioneer, doesn't look like 70 billion colours to me but is very good and well used. It is very much a case of each indidual pixel and shade feeling perfectly chosen like with the MXE. The MXE is still brighter on water, grass etc, but not by much and not with the down to earth gritty realism that the NEC chooses to do it. Plus of course the MXE doesn't have the blacks to support the colour so goes overbright. NEC is more realistic than that, where the Panny is movielike the NEC is a bit more streetsmart about it, not throwing out bold colours but taking a second thought and just being a bit more controlled about the whole thing. I used Hero because it has every colour imaginable all on one seriously high quality DVD, I actually ended up watching a fair old chunk of the movie again.

Processing - not completely invincible but is better at scaling than the Panasonic. I think the Pioneer may have a slight edge on deinterlacing, but the Panasonic is beat again. Very few pointless errors, nice depth and detail, very nice in fact. Sharpness setting only wanted to be somewhere around 1-3 (on a scale that goes to 100!!) and does it without the dot scrawl that is trademark Pioneer (well eventually, needs some mucking around with settings). Not too relevant for your setup with a dedicated processor but worth mentioning. With processor (I used Lumagen) you can literally do what you like with the picture!! Fantastic pictures from just Sky TV. Again I found myself sitting watching rather than testing...

Brightness - I ramped both lights up to full pelt and the Panasonic starting disappearing. The Pioneer would have stayed lovely and bright had there been one here to compare side-to-site, but I doubt it would have kept the contrast detail that the NEC did. Blacks still felt black rather than a hard pushed grey. Not as bright as the Pioneer is, but given the living room style conditions 90% of these will end up in I think it has a better suited balance.

Overall - More like a bright, punchy Panasonic than a heavy contrast and black Pioneer if you know what I mean. I found myself looking for scenes with difficult colours so I could sit back and enjoy the way the NEC did it! Adding the Lumagen made a massive difference as we would expect, but there were no sloppy scaling artefacts using the internal scaling either. As with anything this specific we're not talking light and day differences here, there is an argument for going Panasonic if you like the dark high blacks which is especially difficult for me to change my mind on since I've got a Panny and installed one at each of my parents houses too. But even in blackout (and running in Theatre Mode 2 on the NEC) I preferred it over the Panny.

Kindest Regards,

Liam McLaughlin
    Progressive Audio Visual Ltd

t: 01892 861 730
    f: 01892 861 630
    e: liam@progressive-av.com
    I: www.progressive-av.com

5. Mojito

Mojito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I went to view the NEC today, but the shop didn't have VM5 (sold out before I came there). They had VM4 instead. I thought once I was there I might as well demo that. Overall the PQ was great, bright colors and deep blacks. There was one thing I didn't like. Often on half-tones and "noisy" places of the image you could distinguish patterned dots (similar to those that appear on half tone settings of a computer printer). They appeared on all sources and DVDs I tried. I did not see anything like this on any Panasonic plasma. I saw similar artifacts on Sony and Fuji plasmas. According to the guy at the shop that's what NECs were and it could not be eliminated by settings (I tried and couldn't).
    Unfortunately I could only view the screen from about 4 feet closer that I normally would, but at that distance (about 7 feet) I could definitely see it and it was distracting.
    I wonder if the 5 get NECs exhibit the same dots or it is only a feature of NEC 4s? I wonder if this could be adjusted by the Low Tone setting mentioned in Liam's description.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Mojito was the effect you were seeing Dithering? Green dots......
    ALso what Fujitsu did you see? was it a VHA/VCA or HHA/HCA/HHS model?
    NEC are starting to interest me more and more..... Liam uis the man at the moment with NEC
    ADAM M how about a powerbuy/bulk buy?

7. Mojito

Mojito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I guess dithering would be the right term to describe it. The Fuji was 30 series ED plasma.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Dithering is a problem on many JVC plasmas and cheap korean units.. i have managed to solve dithering to a certain extent on these using various settings and inputs (putyour nose to the glass and still there) a Major issue for some other people dont mind it.....

9. Neil F Holland

Neil F Holland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Without risking going :offtopic: could someone who knows and loves this display elaborate...

Does it do the whole shebang? e.g. 720p(50) and HDMI (HDCP compiant) If so we may have a challenger to the Pio MXE1 for Sky Compatibility...

BTW who sells this NEC?

Ta muchly

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Liam at progressive-av does (forum sponsor)

11. Neil F Holland

Neil F Holland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, HD...

Liam, does it do the do, HDMI wise?

12. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    it has been mentioned somewhere im sure.

13. Mojito

Mojito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Accoriding to the specs the NECs accept everything digital, except 720p@50.
    However, someone here confirmed that they actually do accept 720p@50 (in the long Panasonic HDMI thread).

14. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hi all - not seen this thread till now!!

Yes it does support all the HDMI resolutions, but as with everything except the MXE1 it is limited to 60Hz native resolution (852x480, 1024x768, 1366x768). Trying to find out now if there might be a way round this, spec mentions 75Hz @ 1024 x 768 (which i couldn't get to work before).

Dithering was indeed reduced by the Low Tone setting. The default setting is for still images (powerpoint slides etc) so is always gonna be wrrong. OPtion 2 is dithering for moving images but the best optino seemd to be to use error diffusion - option 3. It also varied with brightness/contrast settings and I don't think it's anything to worry about. The only noticeable artefact to be aware of is colour banding (interesting for a display with 12 bit processing!). Although again, some settings heavily exagerrated this and I wasn't exactly being lenient with the demo material so having seen pretty much the worst banding it can do, it's still better than the Panny!

Mojito where did you demo the panel??

15. Mojito

Mojito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thaks for these guidelines, Liam. It is comforing.
    I live in Moscow, and I demoed it in one of the shops here. I can tell you which one if you are interested ;)

16. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Well done me :oops: