Is there a way to watch freeview online on my Sony TV without using an aerial lead for free?

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
Hi all.

I have a communal aerial on our small block of flats and currently we haven't been able to receive freeview for over a week. I think it got dislodged or moved during the strong winds we had last week. I have contacted my council for repair but they are hopeless at everything and I have no confidence they'll fix this anytime soon. Its def the aerial as my neighbours have no frerview either. I'm wondering if there's a way to receive freeview via the Internet on my Sony Android TV without having to plug my aerial lead into the TV? I used to use an app called TVPlayer that was costing me £10 a month but they have stopped broadcasting ITV and they'll soon be stopping C4, so I stopped my subscription.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

razy60

Hi all.

I have a communal aerial on our small block of flats and currently we haven't been able to receive freeview for over a week. I think it got dislodged or moved during the strong winds we had last week. I have contacted my council for repair but they are hopeless at everything and I have no confidence they'll fix this anytime soon. Its def the aerial as my neighbours have no frerview either. I'm wondering if there's a way to receive freeview via the Internet on my Sony Android TV without having to plug my aerial lead into the TV? I used to use an app called TVPlayer that was costing me £10 a month but they have stopped broadcasting ITV and they'll soon be stopping C4, so I stopped my subscription.

Many thanks.
If you have them then install and run the relevant apps, iPlayer (BBC), itvplayer ect, also there is britbox which is a paid service.

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
Thanks.

Yes I have ITV Player, BBC IPlayer, My5 etc installed on my TV but I was asking because I cannot see a Freeview app on Google Play that I could download to my TV would allow me to watch Freeview and use its EPG and have access to all the Freeview channels in one place, rather than having to log into different apps to watch different channels. Freeview does have a Android phone app and my Sony TV's operating system is Android but it's not available on Google play in my TV. Also the Freeview phone app doesn't currently allow you to cast to a TV.

I have a Freeview tuner that came pre installed on my TV but you have to plug a coaxial aerial cable into the telly to watch it, and that's not an option as my communal aerial is not working.
Thanks again.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Thanks but do they ever work? My experience with these is that they are very hit & miss?
Have you tried one since the digital switch over? I would’ve thought it was a lot more forgiving now with digital as you don’t need as strong a TV signal as you did with analogue.

mole

I did try one and it worked quite well - as long as I had line of sight to the outside through a window to it. And everytime a van went past the wind or someone walked in front of the line of sight it broke up.

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
I did try one and it worked quite well - as long as I had line of sight to the outside through a window to it. And everytime a van went past the wind or someone walked in front of the line of sight it broke up.

Thanks. That is not encouraging 😆

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
Considering that Freeview is a free service you would have thought that they would have an app that is available to download to televisions. I've noticed that the major freeview players ( ITV, BBC etc) will not allow you to watch via the Freeview mobile app unless you have downloaded their respective players. I'll just have to hang on till the council fix our aerial, means another email to my local MP to get them moving. Its a bit strange as the aerial occasionally works at night but doesn't during daylight.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
@DemonAV : where are you located? TV for over a million people was lost last week due to a fire at the Bilsdale transmitter site. Some relays are back online offering some services. If you affected, then an indoor aerial may be of no use.

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
@DemonAV : where are you located? TV for over a million people was lost last week due to a fire at the Bilsdale transmitter site. Some relays are back online offering some services. If you affected, then an indoor aerial may be of no use.
Thanks. Yes I saw this story last week but I live in London and the affected areas were up north from what I read. Thanks.

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
Its weird as at night, after dark, I can watch Freeview but not when its daylight? Also I use a Manhattan Freeview box that is connected to the aerial but is also connected to the internet.
It records series linked programmes perfectly even when there's no picture on broadcast TV.

Does this mean that recordings are from the internet and not from aerial broadcasts??

It's the only way I can think of how my Manhattan box records.

EDIT.
I've just purchased this indoor aerial off of Amazon. I'll let you know if it solves my issue.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom