Is there a way to delay the picture signal?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Batdog, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Batdog

Batdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Hi there

Very close to buying an HD-E1, but one of the main worries I have is that I may suffer lip-synch errors. I think I read about this being a possible issue on the AVSFORUM, basically it occurs when outputting sound via optical and is caused by the time it takes the player to downmix the audio to DTS.

I've long made plans to counter lip synch with the possible purchase of a Felston audio delay box, however, that has always been on the assumption that it is the picture processing causing the delay, so i would need to delay the audio. However, it seems that in this case it would be the picture that would need to be delayed rather than the sound and I was wondering if there was a way to do this that was reasonably affordable?

Of course I can't be sure whether I'd have this issue but if I'm spending £400 on a new player then I'd at least like to know that there was a solution should I encounter this problem.

I'd also be grateful to hear from any HD-E1 owners outputting their sound via optical and whether lip synch has been a problem at all.

Thanks............and Merry Xmas!!!

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    If you need to adjust anything it will be audio. For most of my stuff no correction is necessary but I have the very able Felston, just in case. JS Technology also do a nice box. Much of this will be dependent on the partnering equipment.

3. Batdog

Batdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Thanks for the reply Nic

The reason I am concerned about delaying the picture is that apparently it seems to be the time taken to downmix the audio to DTS that is causing the delay, hence the sound is already behind the picture as opposed to the more normal scenario of the sound being ahead of the picture, and therefore an audio delay box would only make things worse rather than better?

As I say, I don't have a HD-E1 yet and so it may not be an issue, it's just that I did read about it on AVSFORUM and it was causing me some concern.

Am I to take it that if it was the sound lagging behind the picture then there would be no way to delay the picture and get them back in synch?

4. mannyo

mannyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I dont think you will have a problem, having watched both SD DVD and HD DVD on my E1 through my Yamaha amp and not noticed any issue with sound / video being out of sync.

5. carl15

carl15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the HD-E1 and have it wired up using the digital cable to carry sound to my Amp as I do not have HDMI on my amplifier.
    I have not noticed the sound being out of sync.
    If this is the case it must be so slight as to be undetectable.

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    If someone at AVS is talking about picture ahread of sound then I would treat it with a big 'pinch of salt' ;)

7. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Bit harsh that Nic (no, it wasn't me).

I use a VP30 to introduce audio delay in order to match the delay caused by video processing. I noticed when watching Batman Begins in DolbyTrueHD on the Xbox HD add-on that the audio delay inherent in the Xbox output was so great that I couldn't cancel it out by setting the delay in the VP30 to zero. In other words, the audio delay in the entire 'chain' was greater than the video delay and to fully correct this you would inded need the picture to be delayed. Maybe this is what the thread on AVS was referring to?

Now, where's Microsoft with that audio fix?

Allan

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    No I don't think it a bit harsh at all. You are talking about a possible fault on a completely different piece of kit. If there is a sync problem that will be fixed, but that is VERY different to delaying a video signal. Do you realise how hard that is to do or even how often t needs to be done even in pro circles? I have read many articles over the years where I have been told the audio is front of the video and even vica versa!!. Forgetting processing faults, which I believe the Toshiba does not have, then depending on video processing used, you 'may' need just a mild correction on the audio. However these corrections are now much less than the used to be and many devices just don't bother with them at all. The recoding to DTS on the early players is fast by the way and that is with four inter communicating chips as opposed to one. This really isn't something people need to worry about. They are far more important issues. As owners have said in this thread, it is not an issue.

9. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Ok, fair enough. I realise the op is looking to buy a toshiba but I don't know the details of the thread that is being to referred to on AVS.

Allan

10. Batdog

Batdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Just an update on this issue. I now have an HD-E1 connected to my amp via optical and there are no lip synch issues.