Is there a way to connect a microphone to a Kenwood series 21 hifi

Bionicman1

Novice Member
Reaction score
  1. I bought my missus a Kenwood series 21 Hifi when it first came out, so this is going back years. For her birthday she said she wants amicrophone for her birthday so she can sing along with her music.
    I went to Maplins for advise gave them the system details, I mentioned to them I've looked everywhere for a mic connection but could not find one, I'm not too technical with hifi's.
    I was advised to buy a mixer a Numark M101 so I could connect it through the amp so I could use the mic.
    I also bought a twin phono cable, prosound microphone, I followed the instructions to connect the kit, I disconnected the CD and record deck connected it to the rear of the mixer, the twin phone cable connected from the back of the mixer master connection.
    I've gone to connect the twin phone cable to the amp and realised there's no phono connection only a flat ribbed wire connection from the AV controller to the power amp.
    Does this mean there's no way of connecting a microphone to the hifi as it's too old, is there any other way I can connect a microphone, it's such a great system.
    In all it cost me £131.96 that's including£18.99 for extra 3 year warranty on the mixer, I never intended to spend so much as I was only after a mic. So the pampering weekend I had in mind has been put on hold.
    Any advise would be most appreciated £££ low.

I would say a very basic Microphone Pre-Amp that you could plug into the Kenwood ... assuming the Kenwood has a pair of extra RCA Phono inputs. There are some small Pre-Amps that have tone controls but there are also very low cost models that simply have volume controls.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BEHRINGER-MX400-Channel-Micro-Mixer/dp/9790826311

This I believe uses 1/4" Phone Plugs. So it would work with most microphones.

But a full mixer is not that expensive -

Behringer 802 8 Input 2 Bus Mixer - £48 -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/o62/Behringer-802-8-Input-2-Bus-Mixer/B000J5XS3C

This has tone controls, multiple channels, and allows independent volume control. You need a way to adjust the vocal volume independent of the music volume and a mixer will do that.

Keep in mind there are dozens of both type of mixers, it is just a matter of the features you want, how many channels you want, and how much you want to spend.

But the Behringer 802 Mixer is only £48, and it has 4 full channels with Tone Controls, it is a Stereo Mixer, and supports both XLR and 1/4" Microphone plugs.

For vocal a good basic Dynamic Stage Mic should be fine.

Behringer Ultravoice XM8500 Dynamic Mic - Dynamic Mics - Microphones - Studiospares

Studiospares S965 Dynamic Mic w/Switch - Dynamic Mics - Microphones - Studiospares

Shure SV100 Dynamic Mic - Dynamic Mics - Microphones - Studiospares

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Take the mixer back, it's way more than you need. This: Mackie Mix5 5-Channel Compact Mixer | maplin will mix a mic and CD player together perfectly well.

To connect, you will need 4 x phono to jack adapters - Maplin 6.35mm Plastic Mono Plug to Phono Socket Adapter | maplin

Connect the mic to the mic input (1) on the mixer and the CD player to the input labelled 2/3. Connect the output to the sockets on your Kenwood labelled CD player. That way, you have simply added a mic input to the CD channel. Ignore the Tape sockets on the mixer, as they have no level control.

If you wanted to feed the audio from a phone or laptop, get one of these cables: Audio 3.5mm Jack to Twin Phono Cable 2m - WEB ONLY | maplin and a couple more jack to phono adapters. This can then be plugged into the inputs labelled 4/5 and you can then "mix" all the sources together as required.

All this kit can be bought cheaper online, but this way you can get it all from Maplin and they can refund the difference.

My experience is that their staff are more interested in selling overpriced equipment than providing what you actually need. I've overheard them saying things in the past like "You have to have gold connectors, or they won't mate properly" and I'm afraid you are just another sale to them. Robbing gits :(

image.jpg
image.jpg
I've uploaded a photo of the rear of the AV controller and rear of the amp which I thought there would be a connect for the mixer or mic connection.
I suppose two to four channel mixer, I do not want to spend too much as its only for personal use. I'm not too technically minded does the mixer need to have a connection to the amp?

Plug the main output from the mixer into one of the inputs e.g. AUX input and then you should be able to use the mixer with the microphone and CD player.

Thanks for the advice Noiseboy72 I will return the mixer and look into all the options above.
The mic I got from Maplins is a ProSound microphone YU37S priced at £29.99 I was told it is a good inexpensive mic, is this a good price for this mi?

Kc5819w how would I connect the mixer to the amp as the sales rep at Maplins suggested I have to do. That's why I have ended up buying a Twin phono cable to supposedly make that connection.

As Kc5819w said, connect the mixer to the Aux input on the "AV controller" with the twin phono cable, connect the Mic etc to the mixer, select Aux on controller, the amp gets it signal via the "ribbon" cable and Bob should be your uncle.

The Numark M101 is a DJ mixer, and for your needs will probably work.

Numark M101 2-Channel All-Purpose DJ Mixer, Rack Mountable with 2-Band EQ: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

As to the Mic, it depends on which Prosound Mic you bought -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PROSOUND-PROFESSIONAL-DYNAMIC-VOCAL-MICROPHONE/dp/B00FQIH61M

Connect the Master Out of the Numark to any Line input on the Amp, and you should be up and running.

It looks like you have a TAPE-2 free so connect to the Play of that. But very likely DVD or VCR inputs will work too, just ignore the Yellow connector.

Steve/bluewizard

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks to all for the advise, I initially thought of wireless mic but being the system over 20 years old it could never work, another Maplins I initially went to, tried to sell me a kit but I got lost.
As it's still on my mind is this a possibility to work on the Kenwood series 21, what equipment would I need and what range I could possibly get.

I connect the mixer to the Aux input on the "AV controller" with the twin phono cable, but could only play the Aux, being a novice took some time I switched the mixer to the CD input and seleced CD on controller, now I can switch between the CD and Aux.
CD sounds sweet but the Aux so badly distorted.
What could be the problem?
Now I know it works, I think I'll take it all back to Maplins as you guys says that I've over spent, and I'll look at suggested equipment as stated by you geniuses.
Can any one advise on a wireless mic please as well as the distortion remedy.
Thank you all for the input.

Distortion just means you have too much signal somewhere. I would use the CD input on your Kenwood amp, but the aux should be the same. On your current mixer, try adjusting levels and I think you will be OK. Start by checking you have plugged the CD player into the LINE input - not phono. With the fader set to 3/4 and the crossfade at the bottom to the side you are using. The volume meter should show the signal flickering up to the yellow light - not the red! The master control should be at about 12 o'clock as a starting point, but you can adjust this to suit.

Plug the mic into the front and turn the Mic Gain control up until you can hear the mic over the music. If it squeals, this is feedback, so move further from the speakers or turn the level down.

In terms of a wireless mic, these the t.bone TWS One A Vocal are about as cheap as they get and they are fine for home use. The mic is similar quality to the wired one you've already bought, but with the ability to roam around the living room!

Would I be able to use the wireless mic with the set up I already gave. Is there a mixer with special effects i.e. Echo etc.

Swap your mixer for one of these: Behringer Xenyx 1002FX They have 2 mic inputs, 2 CD / Laptop inputs and also an effects processor with echo and delay etc. Please see my first post for the other bits you might need.

TBH, you are getting close in terms of expenditure to buying a dedicated karaoke system. This: MOBILE DISCO PA SPEAKER AMPLIFIER DJ KARAOKE SYSTEM 400W *FREE P&P SPECIAL OFFER | eBay is only £80, has an input for the CD player, 2 mics - wireless can be plugged in as well as wired and built in basic echo. Very easy to use and a cheaper solution maybe?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks for the info, you're right it's starting to get on the expensive side, but I suppose it will be worth it in the end.

Even cheaper would be an old PS2/3 with Singstar mics & discs from Ebay/Gumtree.

I went to Maplins today to return the mixer and I was told it cannot be exchanged because the box was opened, I was told that's their rules on all electronic systems.
I called customer services thinking the guy was trying to fool me, they also told me the same thing, only if there a fault I'll have to send it to be checked and pay the posting if they find nothing wrong.
The sales rep also said if they take it back I will not get a full refund, he also pointed out some people use the equipment for the weekend DJing and return it for a full refund.
So I'm stuck with it and I'll have to try and make the most of it.

The kit will work fine for you, so no worries on that score. Please see my post on how to connect it up correctly to give you the ability to mix the mic and CD source correctly.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom