Is there a way I can fix volume outpout on an AV8...like 'processor mode' on the FMJ stereo amps?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Timmy C, Jun 21, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +574
    Before I rip my kit apart and start experimenting and potentially waste a lot of time I thought someone here might be able to help. I've just bought a new Nakamichi pre/power combo but would like to still use my AV8 for music, or at least give it a try to compare.

So instead of the L/R preouts going from the Nakamichi processor straight to the Nak power amp, I want them to go via the AV8. I then want to connect my CD player straight to the AV8 and control volume with the Arcam as usual. When watching movies I want to use the Naks volume control so need a way to provide fixed volume output from the AV8. Can this be done?

As mentioned in the title of the thread, Arcam integrated and 2 channel pre amps had a 'processor mode' which meant at the push of a button you could fix the output volume for the incoming signal from your processor so was hoping there might be some way to set up the AV8 to work in a similar way. Any ideas?

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    No, can't do that.

The easiest method would probably leave the Nak at a fixed level and feed it through the 7.1 input of the AV8 and control the volume on the AV8

3. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +574
    That's a shame! I had considered that but it's not ideal for various reasons of convenience. I have a C30 on my main stereo so I may consider swapping that for the AV8 as I'm sure that has a 'processor mode'. Jut a little concerned the AV8 won't sound as good as the C30 for stereo in the main music listening room.