Is there a Video Card with 1080P DVI

Sharpen

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone had seen/owned a card with DVI which supported 1080P. Also are there any cards that output component video @ 720P or 1080i.

Thanks

I'm pretty certain nearly all modern cards support 720p & 1080i, but not too sure about 1080p.

Everything a PC outputs is "p" so yes, nearly all graphics cards support 1080p via DVI.

:smoke:

I take it you mean the HD TV standard 1920x1080p/50 or 60 Hz. My humble GeForce4 MX 420 is presently running at 1920 x 1080 or 1200 through VGA, and I would be very confident that a modern card with DVI would do that as well.

Remember, though, that that is pushing the limit of what you can do with single link DVI. The good ones go up to about 2084x1536, but you would need a dual link DVI connection for that, and I'm not sure if many displays have them. All those resolutions are progressive.

I believe that good recent cards like 6600, 6800, 7800, x800, x850 etc do also have HDTV-specific 720p and 1080i component outputs.

I suspect that what might be a more important question, though, is what source do you intend to use?

Nick

The Apple Screens support Dual Link DVI, well the 30" one does, but the only graphics cards which support dual link DVi are the Ati x850 agp/pci-e, Nvidia 6800Ultra/7800, the Nvidia cards can actually have two Dual Link DVI ports, where as the Ati only have one...

Ati has recently produced catalyst drivers that enable 1080p support for all radeon cards 9xxx and above.

Thank-you all for your information. My little project (sorry forgot to say) is to drive the new Sharp LC-65GD1E (65" LCD) with digital 1080P content derived from a powerful PC. I'll go and have a look at those cards you have mentioned.

Cheers
Shane

Sharpen said:
Thank-you all for your information. My little project (sorry forgot to say) is to drive the new Sharp LC-65GD1E (65" LCD) with digital 1080P content derived from a powerful PC. I'll go and have a look at those cards you have mentioned.

Cheers
Shane
Shane,
That's a great project, but do you happen to know that the LC-65GD1E will accept a digital 1080p input at 50 and 60Hz? I believe that the 45" models do not. It's a big assumption, and you do need to know for sure otherwise what you're trying to do will be quite pointless.

Nick

My little built-in laptop card runs my laptop screen at 1920x1200....It used to be an ATI 9700 128Mb and was running just fine....Now I've upgraded it to an ATI9800 256Mb in my laptop which actually doesn't provide much difference....

So yes, easily....

Sharpen said:

Cheers
Shane

Do you know if it supports 1920 * 1080 P Over DVI or Component only?, make sure you find that out before your purchase..

Sharpen said:

Cheers
Shane
How did you get on with your 1080P and LC-65GD1E project. I have same requirement, took delivery of the LCD3 weeks ago, and have a powerful PC connected. Pictures look great, but not sure if they are 1080P.

Feeding LCD with downloaded HD stuff from the internet.

I would be interested to know how you are doing with it?

Regards Chris

Brandon Chris said:
How did you get on with your 1080P and LC-65GD1E project. I have same requirement, took delivery of the LCD3 weeks ago, and have a powerful PC connected. Pictures look great, but not sure if they are 1080P.

Feeding LCD with downloaded HD stuff from the internet.

I would be interested to know how you are doing with it?

Regards Chris
Chris, my little project is still ongoing.... it's become a monster now but I won't go into all that.
The LC-65GD1E can display absolutely stunning images if connected directly to the screen, ie disconnect the AV box completely and connect your 1080P signal directly to the DVI connection at the rear of the screen. You can display (1920x)1080P 60Hz this way. You can do the same with the 45" version too. (basically the AV box converts every signal it finds to this resolution)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom