1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there A/V in on Pal GS120 ???

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by virgola, May 27, 2004.

1. virgola

virgola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm asking this because the specs are not the same according to different Panasonic sites.
    In european ones sometimes they even say it does not have DV-IN !!! and that's NOT true ! What about Analog-In ?
    NTSC models for sure have this option (S-Video IN/OUT) but it seems (strangely!!!) that the PAL version has *ONLY* A/V OUT ...

Who Knows for sure ????

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not strange at all that European versions of any camcorder do not have AV-in, it is only quite recently that ANY European camcorders have AV-in , it used to be the norm for European cameras to have this function disabled because if it could record it was classed as a VCR and attracted additional tax. this applies to DV-in as well.

If the European sites say it does not have AV-in or DV-in then it is quite likely that it does not - while American versions of basically the same camera will have AV and DV-in

3. virgola

virgola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Beejaycee... but this is a new 2004 model and it *does* have DV-IN ... so it doesn't make sense to me that they disable only Analog and not DV -IN in european version. I'm more prone to think of wrong specs written on the charts, but I need some feedback about this from someone who really owns a GS120... thanks, anyway ! ;-)

4. davidse

davidse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Virgola. Just bought the NV-GS120EB (after months of agonising) and can confirm this model does NOT have AV in, although, as you have seen, it does have DV in. According to the manual supplied which deals with both the NV-GS120 and the NV-GS200 it looks as if the GS200 has AV in.

5. oxford

oxford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Davidse, I am thinking of buying the Panasonic NVGS 120, How do you find it? any tips, is it as good as it seems

6. davidse

davidse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Oxford.
    I have only had the GS120 for two weeks but am very pleased with the results so far. The colours come out very well and I have not detected any noise from the tape mechanism on the soundtrack- which was an important criteria for me. The stills are also good but not, expectedly, as good as my digital camera. This is my first camcorder so it is difficult to make a comparison. It is comfortable to hold and I like the fact the eyepiece can not only be extended out but angled upwards. There are some niggles, for example I wish that some of the effects controls, particularly the fade in/fade out, were not under the LCD as I prefer to use the viewfinder, and the LCD itself has a narrow viewing angle. I have read the various reports about the poor image stabilisation etc. but my last movie camera was Super 8 - and that had none. Like PC's there comes a point when you have to decide what is important to you and make a decision. So far I do not regret mine.
    p.s. You may be interested to see the latest Personal Computer World for their review of DV cameras. :)

7. virgola

virgola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi davidse, thanks for your feedback!

8. oxford

oxford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Davidse,
    I have been looking for a review of the GS120, is it in Personal Computer World?.

Peter

9. davidse

davidse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The July issue of Personal Computer World contains a review of 6 DV Cameras - the Canon MVX250i, JVC GR-D73, Panasonic NV-GS120, Sharp VL-75, Sony DCR-HC18E and Sony DCR-HC40E. Not really indepth but provides a good overview. During my searches I found a review of the PG-GS120 at www.camcorder.com which is the version sold in the States and appears to have lower CCD pixel count.