1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a tv that accepts 1080p 50/60hz?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Rob20, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Just it seems to me that a number of forthcoming tv sets/projectors that have been claimed to be 1080p, merely convert a 1080i signal into 1080p, (Sony's $30k Qualia projector), but do not accept a 1080p signal. Other sets that have 1920/1080 res only display a 1080i picture, (Sharp's 45" lcd being a good example). With Blu-Ray and HD-DVD surely outputting 1080p 50/60 (from 24p material at least), and with PS3 having it's games output at 1080p 60, where are the tvs to take advantage of this res?

2. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given that 1080P isn't a part of the ATSC broadcast standard and won't be for the forseeable future. Also accepting that unless you have a dual-link DVI graphics card in your PVR (unlikely) you can't drive 1080p anyway. Also bringing forth the assumption that the equipment to record in 1080p and process 1080p may or may not be in wide circulation. Also bringing in that there aren't even that many true 1080i displays. You can see that there is really no demand for it just yet.

Blu-Ray or HD-DVD will only bring larger storage capacity. Most likely it'll be used for higher bitrates and all the extras and commentary that people got used to with DVD.

3. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Is 1080/60p dual-link only - I thought it JUST squeezed into a single-link DVI connection (and thus a regular HDMI connection which is also single-link) at 165MHz?

(Thinking about it - isn't the Mac 23" Cinema screen close to 1080/60p - and that only requires a single-link, whereas the 30" is significantly above 1080/60p and requires a dual-link source. Certainly computer screens are 60p not 60i...)

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
  5. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Yep - though none of the 24p or 30p variants are being broadcast (the US only broadcast 1080/60i and 720/60p), and the OP was asking about 1080/60p and 50p - which aren't part of the ATSC spec. I see your point though - just using the phrase 1080p is ambiguous.
    Yes - was pretty certain about that - as the MacMini is single-link DVI and supports upto 1920x1200 via DVI (More than 1920x1080) - and wouldn't be interlaced.

6. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    I think we should expect to see displays with 1080p because of the parallel with SD sources and displays. It would be very short-sighted to limit the inputs to 1080i, but on a practical level, it seems that presently available HDMI/HDCP input devices only work fast enough for 1080i or 720p at present. Shame, but I'm sure things will improve.

That means the answer to the original question is - not many! I think the JVC HD2K DILA projector accepts 1080p. Some of the new generation of DLP front and rear projectors accept 1080p over VGA, and maybe over DVI, but not over HDMI at present.

There is a great deal of emphasis on 1080p that is rather misleading. Did anyone bang on about 480 line SD plasmas being 480p? All fixed-pixel displays are progressive, and if they take an interlaced input, they will necessarily have to de-interlace it. That is fraught with image corruption, and many on this forum would want to have the ability to upgrade with a superior external de-interlacer/scaler. There aren't many yet, but fortunately they will come, just as they did for SD sources. The displays really ought to be ready and waiting.

Nick

7. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Do you mean that devices with HDMI inputs (like consumer displays) can't handle 1080p rates but those with DVI (like monitors for PCs and Macs) can - rather than the actual connection standard?

AIUI HDMI and DVI single-link connections are identical in electronic terms in terms of the video component, it is just the physical pin-out that differs (hence the ease of conversion between the two using simple connector adaptors).

(HDMI has extra connectivity for audio compared to DVI - but the video element is identical?)

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    Rob20

I believe the simple answer is that until such times as its economically viable to produce 1080P Displays you'll either have to pay a fortune for one (and not have much choice of what to purchase) or hold tight for another couple of years at least.

Not many Display/TV manufacturers are raking in huge profits and I guess they will be unwilling to ditch the very costly production plants currently being used (and no doubt still being paid for) to introduce even more costly 1080P plants when virtually no one has 1080P source material.

Best regards

Joe

9. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,347
    There's one thing you can guarentee. If 1080p becomes a reality, as soon as the broadcast start/discs are sold, you'll be told (in a thoroughly patronising way) that you MUST upgrade to a 1080p set, and "...boy-oh-boy are you missing out...what are you, a luddite?" by pimply youths in Comet & Currys up and down the land (as well as ultra-rich early adopters here).

Expect to shell out several thousands of pounds for (another) new set in 3 or 4 years' time.

Steve W

10. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Seems perverse, doesn't it, but I do believe that is the case. I did read about somewhere, and was rather surprised, but I can't find the source right now. I'll get digging. I believe it's down to the actual connection standard. I think the limitation is seen with consumer TV displays that have both HDMI and DVI interfaces. Seems to be a manufacturer-wide problem. Good old VGA to the rescue again, though.

Nick

11. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    I'm fairly sure that the Sharp LC45GD1E can accept a 1080p/60Hz signal - you have to bypass the media box and pipe it straight into the screen, which is a bit of a fiddle, but it can be done (although not "officially"). I don't know whether you can do this with a 50Hz signal, though - I rather suspect not.

12. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    yes - if the actual display is just a glorified monitor (more similar to a PC LCD screen than a TV) - and if the de-interlacing from 1080i is done by the media box, and 720p is scaled to 1080p (not converted to 1080i), then you'd expect the display itself to have to accept a 1080/60p input. Unless the actual display de-interlaces then it would have to accept 1080p inputs - and 1080/30p would be unacceptable for a TV that was to display 60i or 60p sources.

Presumably the Media box output will have to continue to have HDCP encryption - so the link between the two would probably be a DVI with HDCP connection (or HDMI - though I suspect the former is more likely)?

13. lwizardl

lwizardl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    "1080p compatability" does not necessarily mean that it displays 1080p. It might just mean that it will scale a 1080p input to something that it can display. Note the "dash" beside the "Maximum resolution" in the specs !

Also, as it's an American TV, forget 50Hz compatability.

15. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    The Quali at launch here (the front projector) will not accept 1080P. At least the ones in the country just now don't. Elliot at PJ HiFi has specified that their demo unit be delivered when this capability is fitted. He expects their suitably equipped demo unit on hs return from CEDIA USA in mid Sept. I'll be there to set it all up asap.

The JVCHD2K accepts this resolution at 50 and 60.

Gordon

16. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    The October issue of WV & Widescreen TV mag states that the new 6th gen Pioneer models accept a 1080p signal - which should be good for upcoming Blu-ray and HD DVD players. ;) I don't think there will be a native 1080p plasma from them until next year's (61"?) model, though.

Steve